• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Camp Observations from Thursday

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, SOJA said:

Why do I get a weird feeling YGM is going to end up being a wasted pick

Probably because the Panthers SUCK at drafting DEs outside the first round. Here is a list of all their DE picks outside of round 1 since 2007.

2017: Dasheon Hall (3rd round)

2014: Kony Ealy (2nd round)

2012: Frank Alexander (4th round)

2010: Greg Hardy (6th round)

2009: Everette Brown (2nd round)

2007: Charles Johnson (3rd round)

Aside from Charles Johnson, none of these guys lasted very long with the team. Greg Hardy was insanely good in 2013 but was also legitimately insane. Kony Ealy played great in Superbowl 50. Hopefully a new regime can get more out of the position in the future.

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

Why do I get the feeling we are going to be hugely hyped on DL (I am in a year or two) and we’ll come to find out that they were just dusting a bad OL in camp.

Isn't that what happened last year?

I know it's happened here before, which is why I'd guess it's on your mind.

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

What would point to him being likely wrong about a Hurney selected 2nd round pick?

By my calculations below are his choices in the 2nd.  One of these players played at a high level for this team.  1.

D. Foster

Bruce Nelson

Kerry Colbert

Eric Shelton

Richard Marshall

Dwayne Jarrett

Ryan Kalil

2 trades to move up through the years.

Sherrod Martin

Jimmy Pickles

Amini Silatolu

I see no reason to be excited, and certainly share his nervousness about anyone that Marty chooses in the 2nd round, he's flatly awful in that round.

Of course you don't see any reason. You never do. On the other hand since he came back we picked Curtis, Jackson and now YGM.  All three exciting picks. I guess some of us live in the past while others live in the present and future.

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Jackson has not been good and Samuel was a Gettleman pick.

Since Kalil, the second round selections that Hurney has made (excluding this year) have been:

• Everette Brown
  • Sherrod Martin
  • Jimmy Clausen
  • Amini Silatolu
  • Donte Jackson
  • Greg Little

This doesn't count the 2nd round pick he traded away to move up to pick Armanti Edwards in the 3rd, and it doesn't count Dwayne Jarrett drafted in the 2nd the same draft as Kalil.

I personally don't get excited about 2nd-4th round picks anymore. I EXPECT them to fail based on the last decade of drafts, Gettlemen included. 

So if both Chinn and YGM end up being good, then I'll be thrilled. My expectations are set so low though, it wouldn't take much to impress me. 

Since Hurney came back I have liked his picks. Jackson is a solid starter and Curtis hopefully will show his potential if he can stay healthy.. As for Hurney 1.0 it was a mixed bag and toward the end it was awful. 2009 and 2010 were terrible  But let's see what happens with Hurney and Rhule now. Honestly we have lots of potential and hopefully Rhule can get the most out of them.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Since Hurney came back I have liked his picks. Jackson is a solid starter and Curtis hopefully will show his potential if he can stay healthy.. As for Hurney 1.0 it was a mixed bag and toward the end it was awful. 2009 and 2010 were terrible  But let's see what happens with Hurney and Rhule now. Honestly we have lots of potential and hopefully Rhule can get the most out of them.

Curtis was a Gettleman pick

26 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Curtis was a Gettleman pick

I know. And I have said repeatedly the GM gets the players the coach wants. While I think that Gettleman was probably more likely to pick who he wanted, the last several years were Rivera picks and before that Fox picks. Just like this year's crop was really Rhule's picks. Hurney gets too much credit for first rounders and too blame for others. Still the bad trades are on him and no one else. 

40 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Of course you don't see any reason. You never do. On the other hand since he came back we picked Curtis, Jackson and now YGM.  All three exciting picks. I guess some of us live in the past while others live in the present and future.

Curtis is one of DG's picks.

Jackson has shown to be an average player at best, but I didn't include him on this list because he is still very young.

In all of Marty Hurney's 2nd round picks, 1 of them has played at a high level for the Carolina Panthers over a span of well over a decade of said picks.  You ask why someone would consider him being just another Hurney pick?  Well, I don't see how you can think otherwise.

I didn't even bring up just how awful the 2nd round picks that were traded, to move up in the draft have fared for us.  Want to fill us in?

If someone get's something right once out of 13 tries, I'm more likely to believe that they have likely messed up on the 14th try as well.  But you keep those rose colored glasses on...they seem to really do a good job of predicting our success.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I know. And I have said repeatedly the GM gets the players the coach wants. While I think that Gettleman was probably more likely to pick who he wanted, the last several years were Rivera picks and before that Fox picks. Just like this year's crop was really Rhule's picks. Hurney gets too much credit for first rounders and too blame for others. Still the bad trades are on him and no one else. 

I know...even though I repeated it wrong twice.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Curtis is one of DG's picks.

Jackson has shown to be an average player at best, but I didn't include him on this list because he is still very young.

In all of Marty Hurney's 2nd round picks, 1 of them has played at a high level for the Carolina Panthers over a span of well over a decade of said picks.  You ask why someone would consider him being just another Hurney pick?  Well, I don't see how you can think otherwise.

I didn't even bring up just how awful the 2nd round picks that were traded, to move up in the draft have fared for us.  Want to fill us in?

If someone get's something right once out of 13 tries, I'm more likely to believe that they have likely messed up on the 14th try as well.  But you keep those rose colored glasses on...they seem to really do a good job of predicting our success.

Hurney 2.0. the rest is a decade or more. Get with the present.

Just now, panthers55 said:

Hurney 2.0. the rest is a decade or more. Get with the present.

Great point, he really does seem to have learned from his mistakes.

Let's to a point by point analysis of what he has done here since coming back.

You start with 3 really good decisions he's made.

I'll start with 3 really bad ones.

Keep that up until the other person runs out of ammo?

You game?  We have a LOT of time between now and football to hash it all out.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

It was a split year and Hurney was here most of the season. As I said it was a Rivera pick so why the big deal???

Dave Gettleman selected Curtis Samuel, not Marty Hurney, stop trying to twist words when you are flatly wrong.

Archived