• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Camp Observations from Thursday

Jeremy Igo

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I really liked the pick, but it's definitely hard to shake the memory of Hurney's infamous record with 2nd round picks.

With this draft, I’m not worried about Hurney’s influence at all. I think he “made” the picks but the players picked seem heavily influenced by the coaching staff.

Other than Ryan Kalil when was the last time Hurney drafted a stud in the second round? I rooting for and hoping the best for YGM but yall don't feel a Clausen 'talent that should have gone in the first makes it the second' vibe at all? 

Not trying to be negative just sparking conversation 

15 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Other than Ryan Kalil when was the last time Hurney drafted a stud in the second round? I rooting for and hoping the best for YGM but yall don't feel a Clausen 'talent that should have gone in the first makes it the second' vibe at all? 

I don't think we've ever made a 2nd round pick when we didn't claim that we had a 1st round grade on the player.

20 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Mike Rucker comes to.mind at DE in the second. How about Charles Johnson in the third.  And Jenkins in the 2nd at DT as well. How many second round DEs has he missed on?

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Mike Rucker comes to.mind at DE in the second. How about Charles Johnson in the third.  And Jenkins in the 2nd at DT as well. How many second round DEs has he missed on???

Ouch. You know you're 2nd round history is awful when you have to go back 10+ years to name names.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ouch. You know you're 2nd round history is awful when you have to go back 10+ years to name names.

I just included the defensive linemen. There were other 2nd rounders who have been good just not D linemen.  Jackson and Curtis are recent but both are offense. Plus five of those years are Gettleman's

and Hurney has only been back for 2 years. So you would have to go back to answer the question to at least 2011 or further since he hasn't drafted a defensive linemen in a decade.

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I just included the defensive linemen. There were other 2nd rounders who have been good just not D linemen.  Jackson and Curtis are recent but both are offense. Plus five of those years are Gettleman's

and Hurney has only been back for 2 years. So you would have to go back to answer the question to at least 2011 or further since he hasn't drafted a defensive linemen in a decade.

Ugh. Don't remind me.

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ugh. Don't remind me.

I am excited that we have valued the defensive line again since that has been a staple of our defense for decades. And finally we might have a safety worth a damn since Minter retired. It seems weird how teams can really hit on picks at one position and suck at others for years at a time.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

You likely are wrong given just a feeling with no facts. Then again after the past 2 years it has been hard to be optimistic.

What would point to him being likely wrong about a Hurney selected 2nd round pick?

By my calculations below are his choices in the 2nd.  One of these players played at a high level for this team.  1.

D. Foster

Bruce Nelson

Kerry Colbert

Eric Shelton

Richard Marshall

Dwayne Jarrett

Ryan Kalil

2 trades to move up through the years.

Sherrod Martin

Jimmy Pickles

Amini Silatolu

I see no reason to be excited, and certainly share his nervousness about anyone that Marty chooses in the 2nd round, he's flatly awful in that round.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Jackson has not been good and Samuel was a Gettleman pick.

Since Kalil, the second round selections that Hurney has made (excluding this year) have been:

• Everette Brown
  • Sherrod Martin
  • Jimmy Clausen
  • Amini Silatolu
  • Donte Jackson
  • Greg Little

This doesn't count the 2nd round pick he traded away to move up to pick Armanti Edwards in the 3rd, and it doesn't count Dwayne Jarrett drafted in the 2nd the same draft as Kalil.

I personally don't get excited about 2nd-4th round picks anymore. I EXPECT them to fail based on the last decade of drafts, Gettlemen included. 

So if both Chinn and YGM end up being good, then I'll be thrilled. My expectations are set so low though, it wouldn't take much to impress me. 

Archived