• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers ranked last in continuity....

Jeremy Igo

No shock at all, but The Athletic ranked the Panthers dead last in the league in continuity, and it isn't close at all. 

32. Carolina Panthers (15.3)

The score in parentheses is not a typo. The Panthers are last by a wide margin. They are the only team in the league with a new head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator and starting quarterback. They bring back just 57.6 percent of their offensive snaps (29th) and 34.2 percent of their defensive snaps (32nd). Ownership invested in Matt Rhule for the long-term, but fielding a competitive team, given the turnover on the roster and the unique circumstances of this offseason, will present a huge challenge.

The Patriots are ranked second to last with a score of 51, over three times the score of the Panthers. lol

Interesting that The Athletic is basically reprinting an article that was on ESPN a couple months ago. The exact same content. Defensive and offensive snaps/starters and coaching turnover. The scoring is different, of course, but we were dead last by far in ESPN’s as well. I know I posted a link to it in one of the off season how will we do threads.

Teams can turn it around quickly with good QB play an an opportunistic defense.

The Panthers offense could rank in the top half of the league pretty easily, and maybe even be top 10.

If the defense can force turnovers, the Panthers might be surprising. I know the defense is insanely young and inexperienced, but flukier things have happened.

I just look at what the 2008 Falcons were able to accomplish. Completely fell apart amidst the Michael Vick scandal and Bobby Petrino quitting on the team. They draft Matt Ryan, adopt a ground-and-pound offense and poof, they're back in the playoffs the next season.

Bridgewater isn't a slouch at QB. Kyle Allen honestly had the Panthers pretty competitive when he didn't turn the ball over. Things might not be as bad as people think. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm okay with lacking continuity when the previous unit stunk.

This one million times over.  The returns from the old administration were declining, and Tepper decided it was time to blow it up and build back from the ground up.

Obviously it's not good for a franchise to be at the bottom continuity-wise for years in a row, but I think it is the absolute best place for us to be in 2020.

And while the results on the field may be (probably will be) bad this year, at least there seems to be a plan to build a team the right way (and the accompanying continuity that comes with it) going forward.

Archived