• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UDFA Wide Receiver Omar Bayless turning heads

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Donnell baker

That's the name I was looking for.  Didn't he look great in practice and then keep getting hurt.  Had to retire before he ever played in a real game.  Back in the  late 90's I think.

Keep it TF up!!! I've seen too many damn ryne robinsons, shepards, Byrds, etc to last me forever. Maybe not UDFA but friggin' JAG after JAG after JAG after JAG that gets hyped in the preseason but doesn't turn out worth a squirt of piss. Wake me for Season 1. I can't get hurt again LOL 

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Robinson was even a 4th round draft pick. Yea they have been awful at drafting WR's over the years. Really aside from Muhammad, Steve Smith, and probably DJ Moore....who the hell have the Panthers drafted that has been worth a poo at WR? Brandon LaFell had a decent career I guess....

Yeah, the fact that LaFell is probably the 4th best WR we've ever drafted is just depressing.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

What was that kids name a few years back that we were hopeful about? Led the NCAA in receptions or something. 

Keyarris Garrett, man the hype on that kid was insane. And he never even looked that good in practice from what I recall. Stephen Hill was another fun one a couple years after the Jets drafted him high.

53 minutes ago, Mistuh Jones said:

Keep it TF up!!! I've seen too many damn ryne robinsons, shepards, Byrds, etc to last me forever. Maybe not UDFA but friggin' JAG after JAG after JAG after JAG that gets hyped in the preseason but doesn't turn out worth a squirt of piss. Wake me for Season 1. I can't get hurt again LOL 

LOL! This is me but mainly for the panthers team and the god damn 7-9 season followed by a 12-4 one.(I couldnt even enjoy the 15-1 season cause I always was like"soon they will let me down again...) You cannt break whats already broken!! For sure it applies to the pre-season UDFA hype train and a WR always seems to be in the mix. Still 4 years out of the Bersins and Bryd types is free money given the contracts. Norwell lived up to the hype and some. I enjoyed the hell out of Fred Lane running the rock too. Hooooover gave 10 years to the UDFA hype tank. 

24 minutes ago, t96 said:

Keyarris Garrett, man the hype on that kid was insane. And he never even looked that good in practice from what I recall. Stephen Hill was another fun one a couple years after the Jets drafted him high.

Stephen Hill was legit until his injury. He could have made an impact.

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Robinson was even a 4th round draft pick. Yea they have been awful at drafting WR's over the years. Really aside from Muhammad, Steve Smith, and probably DJ Moore....who the hell have the Panthers drafted that has been worth a poo at WR? Brandon LaFell had a decent career I guess....

WR drafting in this franchise's history has to be as bad as any team in the league.  For all the success we've had drafting linebackers (and defensive lineman to a lesser extent), offensive line drafting has been subpar and WR drafting has been downright abysmal.

Remember when Keary Colbert was going to replace Moose as our WR2 in 2005 when Moose signed with the Bears?  Colbert did have a solid rookie year after Smitty broke his leg, but it was dumb not to do everything to keep Moose coming off an all-Pro 2004 Season.  I will always wonder what we could have done with more years of Smitty & Moose together- especially in 2005 when I think Moose along with all-world Smitty could have won us a championship.

Remember when Dewayne Jarrett was supposed to replace Keyshawn his rookie year and beyond?  That was almost comically bad

Or when a rookie Kelvin Benjamin was going to replace Smitty?  In fairness he did have a good rookie season, but no one was going to replace Smitty, not even KB before he tore his ACL and got fat.

I'm always fairly optimistic, and we are due to find a diamond-in-the-rough WR, but the only years in franchise history IMO we had 2 receivers that could collectively and individually dominate a game were Smitty/Moose in 2003 & 2005.

We've never even come particularly close again.  Hopefully this is the year

Archived