• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UDFA Wide Receiver Omar Bayless turning heads

Jeremy Igo

Looks like we may have found a decent project after the draft was over.

"During the same drill, quarterback Teddy Bridgewater hit undrafted rookie receiver Omar Bayless on a fade route to the left side of the end zone. Bayless had to elevate to make the catch. Later in the period, he caught another touchdown in the back of the end zone from Bridgewater on a crossing route, showing strong hands. Bayless has impressed during the first couple practices, giving credence to the praise he's received from veterans." 

Screenshot_20200817-153052_Chrome.jpg

Decent sized WR. Would like to see him make the team.

Just now, Wolfcop said:

I keep hearing his name. Hate we don't get to see guys like this in the preseason. 

Good point.

Not having a preseason really throws a wrench in this whole process. I guess the good news is it will be easier to stash him on the extended practice squad since there will be no film out there on him.

Not trying to poop on your parade but I can't even name the number of UDFA WR's the Panthers have had over the years that have made a splash in training camp and preseason only to never be heard from again. Austin Duke or Marvin McNutt anyone?

The number of guys who actually made an impact is minimal. Philly Brown is maybe the biggest name in recent memory who made a big impact. Damiere Byrd, Brenton Bersin....anyone else?

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Not trying to poop on your parade but I can't even name the number of UDFA WR's the Panthers have had over the years that have made a splash in training camp and preseason only to never be heard from again. Austin Duke or Marvin McNutt anyone?

The number of guys who actually made an impact is minimal. Philly Brown is maybe the biggest name in recent memory who made a big impact. Damiere Byrd, Brenton Bersin....anyone else?

If we approached players with this closed minded concepts, a lot of talent would be overlooked.

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Put some respek in the Bersin name.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Put some respek in the Bersin name.

I got mad respek for Berz! That catch he had against the Vikings in '17 was sick! Plus he went to my high school.

Just saying these UDFA WR's are literally a dime a dozen and almost none of them do anything. Hope this dude Bayless proves us all wrong. Going to be especially tough without preseason to make a name for yourself and the coaching staff is probably going to lean more towards veterans.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The guy had 93 catches for 1653 yards and 17 TDs last year. He accounted for 41% of his team's receiving yardage and 46% of their receiving TDs. Even in the Sun Belt, that's attention grabbing.

Why did he go undrafted?  Serious question.  Was it slow 40 or other bad measureables?

Those are crazy numbers.  Even though this draft was loaded with receivers, it's hard to believe someone didn't take a flier in the 6th or 7th

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I got mad respek for Berz! That catch he had against the Vikings in '17 was sick! Plus he went to my high school.

Just saying these UDFA WR's are literally a dime a dozen and almost none of them do anything. Hope this dude Bayless proves us all wrong. Going to be especially tough without preseason to make a name for yourself and the coaching staff is probably going to lean more towards veterans.

Yeah, they are. But every one in a while one of those dimes is a Wes Welker or Rod Smith

1 minute ago, Seltzer said:

Why did he go undrafted?  Serious question.  Was it slow 40 or other bad measureables?

Those are crazy numbers.  Even though this draft was loaded with receivers, it's hard to believe someone didn't take a flier in the 6th or 7th

His workouts weren't awful but they were subpar. Evidently his specialty in college was going deep so when he showed marginal speed at the Combine that created a lot of questions about his ability to transition to the NFL.

9 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I thought Ryne Robinson was going to be a player for us.  He absolutely killed it one preseason and even got props from Smitty.

Every year seemed to bring another WR disappointment, even among the highly drafted guys.  Funchess and Samuel killed it in the last 2 preseasons respectively only to go on and have lackluster seasons.

Just now, Seltzer said:

I thought Ryne Robinson was going to be a player for us.  He absolutely killed it one preseason and even got props from Smitty.

Every year seemed to bring another WR disappointment, even among the highly drafted guys.  Funchess and Samuel killed it in the last 2 preseasons respectively only to go on and have lackluster seasons.

Robinson was even a 4th round draft pick. Yea they have been awful at drafting WR's over the years. Really aside from Muhammad, Steve Smith, and probably DJ Moore....who the hell have the Panthers drafted that has been worth a poo at WR? Brandon LaFell had a decent career I guess....

Archived