• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So friggin excited about this defensive line

Jeremy Igo

20 hours ago, WOW!! said:

I was more excited with the 2013 Dline.. Hardy, Star, Short, CJ..

I prefer the Peppers, Jenkins, Buckner, Rucker one. Loved watching those 4 man-handle the 5 OLmen at will. Prime Jenkins was my hero. Just a great mix of vet IQ, talent, and athletic traits. Your 2013, I loved Hardys crazy ass, hate how it ended here. Star was a man-beast rookie year, then got worse and worse. 

On 8/17/2020 at 6:20 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

You know me, I love a good defensive game. Seeing these photos and videos from camp has me all giddy from imagining the future of this defensive line.

Burns, Gross-Matos, Brown? Those guys could be absolute studs for us for the next several year, and on the cheap too. 

A cheap defensive line that can get pressure from the base four? 

aroused ryan GIF

If Grier happens to be able to play at a high, or decent level, it would appear that our roster is built like many contenders in recent years. Cheap, effective talent in the trenches, quality skill players, QB on a rookie contract. 

3 hours ago, philit99 said:

WTF are you serious? We have an upper class D-line and a potential HOF RB. So what if our QB is not on the cover of Madden. Our roster is not that bad. It will take 1/2 of a season to adjust to the playbook anyways. People act like we have the worst roster in the league. Burns, Brown, Short, Robbie Anderson, CMC. Pedestrian GTFOOH.

What teams are in worse shape? If pedestrian is so insulting, I would imagine there would be at least 10 teams with worse roster situations than the Panthers. And use the same criteria. 

What exactly are you expecting out of this team this year? Seems 10 wins would be easy with a roster this good. 

34 minutes ago, Toomers said:

What teams are in worse shape? If pedestrian is so insulting, I would imagine there would be at least 10 teams with worse roster situations than the Panthers. And use the same criteria. 

What exactly are you expecting out of this team this year? Seems 10 wins would be easy with a roster this good. 

We have a young core of players. We have good players in skill positions. We are not that far away from completing. Forget this year, dang. All I said was this roster is not average or pedestrian, and it is not. Don’t care if you disagree.

1 minute ago, philit99 said:

We have a young core of players. We have good players in skill positions. We are not that far away from completing. Forget this year, dang. All I said was this roster is not average or pedestrian, and it is not. Don’t care if you disagree.

Correct. It’s going to take some time to even become “average” or “ pedestrians”  And you won’t even put ONE team out there, much less the 15-20 that would make being called “average” as insulting as you claim. Why forget this year with a top 15 roster? Doesn’t add up. 

Every other team has good players. Most hAve many more than the Panthers. It’s a bottom 5 roster at this point. Pedestrian would be an improvement. 

Your right, we suck. All hail your superior armchair football IQ. We have a roster full of unknown commodities, working in an unknown system and we are bottom 5, when compared to known systems, and known skill players. All hail your superior IQ. It’s so hard to know who we are until all of our Madden ratings come out. LOL

10 hours ago, Basbear said:

I prefer the Peppers, Jenkins, Buckner, Rucker one. Loved watching those 4 man-handle the 5 OLmen at will. Prime Jenkins was my hero. Just a great mix of vet IQ, talent, and athletic traits. Your 2013, I loved Hardys crazy ass, hate how it ended here. Star was a man-beast rookie year, then got worse and worse. 

With 2013 you also had Luke, TD and Chase behind them which made a incredible front 7 unit.. Pep and Jenks had Morgan and either Greg Favour or Witherspoon  behind them.. Which is strong but not better then the 2013 group..

16 hours ago, bull123 said:

our LB are mediocre at best & our secondary is gonna get torched

You're not wrong, but, like IGO, I think our D-line is going to be solid AF. Burns, Gross-Matos, Weatherly, Brown, KK.; that's something to be excited about, even if it does take another 2-3 years for our total D to catch up.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:31 AM, 1of10Charnatives said:

I would be even more excited if our secondary didn't look like it was about to be hot garbage for a minute. Those guys can only get to the qb if the receivers are covered. Brees, Brady and Matty Ice (worst nickname in sports, hands down) all are vet qb's who can get the ball out quick if the heat is coming.

QB's can only pick you apart when you sit back in soft coverage which is what these three excel at, all the reading I've done on the Rhule / Snow defenses seem to feature single high coverage, and a lot more man than we are used to seeing. This should help disrupt the timing, however the 1v1 match-ups in the NFC South are rough:

NO - Michael Thomas / Emmanuel Sanders / Alvin Kamara

ATL - Julio Jones / Calvin Ridley / Hayden Hurst could potentially emerge

TB - Mike Evans / Chris Godwin / Rob Gronkowski

Each of our divisional opponents have at least one option that tends to require bracket coverage / help; it's gonna be interesting to see if we try to offset that with pressure, because we have guys that can get after it. 

23 hours ago, philit99 said:

WTF are you serious? We have an upper class D-line and a potential HOF RB. So what if our QB is not on the cover of Madden. Our roster is not that bad. It will take 1/2 of a season to adjust to the playbook anyways. People act like we have the worst roster in the league. Burns, Brown, Short, Robbie Anderson, CMC. Pedestrian GTFOOH.

Our roster has some young potential, CMC and Moore. We do have one of the worst rosters in the league for 2020, no doubt. Let’s just say that you listed 5 players as your defense. 1 is CMC a clear stud, 1 is a rookie with potential, 1 is a 2nd year player with potential, 1 is an older player with 3 sacks in 2 years and 1 had 700 yards receiving last year. You forgot Moore but when Short and  Anderson are in you list of our top guys and most of our top guys are unproven then you have a bottom of the league roster. Again for 2020. I loved the D draft, but still recognize how many holes we have and how shallow we are. We talk about talent but we are paper thin. If CMC were to get hurt, the offense will be trash. Teams could get pressure without blitzing knowing that Mike Davis can’t beat them and our WRs are the only weapons. Same on D. If we get some DL injuries or lose Shaq. We will have injuries, all teams do. Our roster is at the bottom right now and it’s not just being negative.

21 hours ago, Toomers said:

Correct. It’s going to take some time to even become “average” or “ pedestrians”  And you won’t even put ONE team out there, much less the 15-20 that would make being called “average” as insulting as you claim. Why forget this year with a top 15 roster? Doesn’t add up. 

Every other team has good players. Most hAve many more than the Panthers. It’s a bottom 5 roster at this point. Pedestrian would be an improvement. 

I am not saying we have a great roster or anything but after all the opt outs go look at New England's roster.  You could argue on paper that our roster right now is as good if not better than theirs.  Now there roster is no where near as young as ours is, but talent wise,  there is not a big difference and I would argue we probably have more.  Now I don't think they will be a good team this year but just saying "we suck" and "we have no talent" without looking at the state of the NFL is lazy arguing.  

Archived