• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So friggin excited about this defensive line

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Let's hope you are right about the S position...I have no clue what is on this roster at S at this point.  Here's to hoping though.

I do know that we have neglected the  O Line for FAR too long, and it's going to bite us pretty hard over the next couple years.  IF we can get that good rookie QB, and that's a big IF, I'd be OK spending some free agent money on the line if we continue to draft terribly there...which we will as long as Marty is here.

Yeah, I'm not sure what we have at safety either but for the first time in a long time I think there's a chance that pieces might be here - at least long-term. These rookies are gonna take some lumps this season no doubt.

As for the OL, we haven't spent a 1st round pick on an OL since 2008. I'd be surprised if that's not the longest streak in the NFL. We've only drafted two since the turn of the century. In that same timeframe, we've drafted five 1st round LBs. Six 1st round DL. Three 1st round RBs. It's insane to have spent more 1st round draft capital over two decades on RBs than the entire OL.

2 hours ago, The Huddler said:

I just saw Derrick Brown absolutely destroy the bags in a Dline drill on facebook live. they had to pause the drill to reset them. he hits it different just cataclysmic violence.   

Pie for the phrase "cataclysmic violence" alone. The rest of your post could have been gibberish and doodles. i am now going to find video of this.

14 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

This team is the least exciting team the Panthers have fielded since 2010.

Once they lose their first two games Im checking out for the year and going to save myself the headache and emotional disappointment.

This is the most interesting season to watch since 2016 when we thought we would be great. Before that t was Rivera and Newton's first season.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what we have at safety either but for the first time in a long time I think there's a chance that pieces might be here - at least long-term. These rookies are gonna take some lumps this season no doubt.

As for the OL, we haven't spent a 1st round pick on an OL since 2008. I'd be surprised if that's not the longest streak in the NFL. We've only drafted two since the turn of the century. In that same timeframe, we've drafted five 1st round LBs. Six 1st round DL. Three 1st round RBs. It's insane to have spent more 1st round draft capital over two decades on RBs than the entire OL.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

And people have bashed me here for years for bitching about our penchant for drafting LB's and RB's.  It's almost like we are operating like it's 1983 around here.

3 of the last 4 years there were more linebackers drafted than any other position in the NFL so it's not just us. And the years they aren't the most selected they are the top 3 or so. I don't think that says anything about the Panthers but the league in general. I keep going back and LB is almost always the most drafted position.

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

And people have bashed me here for years for bitching about our penchant for drafting LB's and RB's.  It's almost like we are operating like it's 1983 around here.

Yeah, we've certainly had some great LBs in our team's short history but we've also invested abnormally heavy at the position. 

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

3 of the last 4 years there were more linebackers drafted than any other position in the NFL so it's not just us. And the years they aren't the most selected they are the top 3 or so. I don't think that says anything about the Panthers but the league in general

In the 1st round or in the draft overall? Also, how many of those LBs were 3-4 rushing OLBs? Big difference between pass rushing LBs and non-pass rushing LBs. They're probably more accurately lumped in with DEs than LBs.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

In the 1st round or in the draft overall? Also, how many of those LBs were 3-4 rushing OLBs? Big difference between pass rushing LBs and non-pass rushing LBs. They're probably more accurately lumped in with DEs than LBs.

There were 5 drafted in the first round this year.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, we've certainly had some great LBs in our team's short history but we've also invested abnormally heavy at the position. 

Unless it's pass rushing LB's...they just don't lead to team wins consistently, although I do understand the importance of the MLB position.

We have a fetish with RB's and LB's high.  In fact, I'd be shocked if another 4/3 team as taken as many over the last 15 ish years?

Archived