• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A couple takeaways from Rhule post-practice presser

top dawg

I'm a big believer in adaptability & situational awareness as it pertains to personnel & in-game coaching. I always thought that the Rivera era left a lot to be desired in that area, whether it was him, the OC or DC. 

Listening to his presser, Rhule used the term "diametrically opposed" in relation to the way that he and his staff ran things at Temple versus Baylor. He noted that the Baylor team was way faster (had actual track guys who'd do football & go to track practice). He noted that at Baylor they had three if not four wide as a rule (unlike Temple) because they had the speed to do it, and he basically admitted in so many words that he couldn't have imagined doing that at Temple. This bodes well for the Rhule era in Charlotte. Rhule also mentioned that Joe Brady is always thinking of ways to improve and is not so rigid that it's all about his (Brady's) way. This also bodes well for the Rhule (& Brady) era!

To a lesser degree, I also like the fact that he is always talking about competition (the one-on-ones, two-on-twos, etc.) "Iron sharpens iron," he says. This is good, if not a little coach-speaky. Sure, I really appreciate his emphasis on competition, & I want to believe him 100 percent, but I'm still a little skeptical, admittedly & mainly due to Ron Rivera making the term more rhetorical in nature (IMO), but hopefully Rhule really believes in competition, and will allow the best man to step up the ladder regardless of how long that man has been on the team or no matter of preconceived notions &/or expectations! Yeah, I'm still trying to figure if he's full o' sh¡t, but just the way that he comes off, I don't think that he is when he speaks of "competition!"

On an off note---& maybe wishful thinking on my part---just listening to him, I think he likes what little he's seen from Omar Bayless. He mentioned his big, strong frame & nice catch radius. But, perhaps more importantly, he mentioned Bayless' seeming willingness to succeed at ST! Admittedly, this could be nothing, & maybe the kid is destined to be a keeper on the PS, but I thought I'd mention it!

All in all, I'm just excited not to be stuck in the mud!

I think this is a coach that makes the most of what he has on hand and getting the most out of them rather than trying to fit a mold. It may be a product of his continually having to build back broken franchises, but it could also be a major asset when attempting to build a team in the NFL. We've worked hard to build teams to beat the others in the NFC South time and time again, but we always did best when we built a solid, team and challenged the rest of the NFCS to beat us.

Rhule might be the guy to do that. Both Fox and Rivera had their moments with that (and their Super Bowl appearances), but both eventually got bogged down in the dogfight that the NFCS presents every year. It is the most consistently competitive division in the NFL over the last 20 years.

4 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I think this is a coach that makes the most of what he has on hand and getting the most out of them rather than trying to fit a mold. It may be a product of his continually having to build back broken franchises, but it could also be a major asset when attempting to build a team in the NFL. We've worked hard to build teams to beat the others in the NFC South time and time again, but we always did best when we built a solid, team and challenged the rest of the NFCS to beat us.

Rhule might be the guy to do that. Both Fox and Rivera had their moments with that (and their Super Bowl appearances), but both eventually got bogged down in the dogfight that the NFCS presents every year. It is the most consistently competitive division in the NFL over the last 20 years.

Belicheat is another guy that adjusts to what he has as opposed to trying to hammer square pegs into round holes. 

Let's hope Rhule is able to do the same here.

Archived