• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Three Panthers predictions from CBS Sports

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Madwolf said:

#2 seems REALLY dumb.

Yep, but so did signing Teddy, ANderson, and trading Turner...... It wouldnt shock me, cause Marty is still the GM. He would think about it as "Well if we traded a third and dont sign him, will should just get a comp third back!!!" "Its Teppers money, to hell with the salary cap"

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Precisely why we shouldn't even consider giving up draft assets for an OG. Smart teams rebuilding don't give up draft assets for non-premium positions.

Agree with this in theory, but feel like we could see weirdness this year.  Some of the Ringer's NFL guys have talked a little about the smart teams trying to get out of the draft this year since it could be a complete cluster and crap shoot after the top guys.  

If the said scenario for Thuney were possible, let's say we get him with a 4th rounder or similar.  Draft a QB with our 1st rounder, OT in the 2nd, G/C in the 3rd or something similar.  We introduce Lawrence/Fields/Lance with a revamped OL to grow with, while avoiding the mid to late rounds of the draft where we usually struggle anyway.  Again, not a fan of trading picks, but OL is probably the one spot I could get down with it, especially in what's going to be a funky draft.  The looming contract extension is the big reason I would balk on Thuney, especially not knowing what the cap is going to drop to. 

54 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Agree with this in theory, but feel like we could see weirdness this year.  Some of the Ringer's NFL guys have talked a little about the smart teams trying to get out of the draft this year since it could be a complete cluster and crap shoot after the top guys.  

If the said scenario for Thuney were possible, let's say we get him with a 4th rounder or similar.  Draft a QB with our 1st rounder, OT in the 2nd, G/C in the 3rd or something similar.  We introduce Lawrence/Fields/Lance with a revamped OL to grow with, while avoiding the mid to late rounds of the draft where we usually struggle anyway.  Again, not a fan of trading picks, but OL is probably the one spot I could get down with it, especially in what's going to be a funky draft.  The looming contract extension is the big reason I would balk on Thuney, especially not knowing what the cap is going to drop to. 

I'm also against the idea of paying OGs big money.

5 hours ago, Basbear said:

Yep, but so did signing Teddy, ANderson, and trading Turner...... It wouldnt shock me, cause Marty is still the GM. He would think about it as "Well if we traded a third and dont sign him, will should just get a comp third back!!!" "Its Teppers money, to hell with the salary cap"

How was signing Anderson dumb?

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm also against the idea of paying OGs big money.

Even if you weren't against it, why would you trade away one high priced, talented OG for another high priced, talented OG? 

That would immediately be the dumbest move we made all offseason, unless Turner really does fall off a cliff in San Diego.

I get a overall sense a lot of people think we’re going to be bad But I don’t believe Rhule and company believe that. We’re not acting like this is a learning/throw away season it’s more like I can see us making moves to improve our team any way we can. We may be an OG away from top 8 offense. If our d plays like the 18th ranked D we’ll win games this year. Basing this off the 22nd ranked d last year Sea. A strong O will get us right where we want to be if our D can play average I expect early success.

21 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

3.  Simmons has this locked up IMO.  He will have a few sacks and a few int's making him pretty attractive

I would agree that Simmons has the type of game that might impress voters.  They like to see "stats", but I wouldn't say he has this locked up.  You have to think Chase Young has as good of a chance as anyone, if not the betting favorite.  Would not surprise anyone if he didn't end up with double digit sacks.

Also Kinlaw might be a dark horse candidate.  He is going to a really good defense so that will help.  I would think their D-line will have more time to get to the QB than ours will.

Also his team is good so there is a good chance the opposition will be playing from behind often and throwing more.

15 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I would agree that Simmons has the type of game that might impress voters.  They like to see "stats", but I wouldn't say he has this locked up.  You have to think Chase Young has as good of a chance as anyone, if not the betting favorite.  Would not surprise anyone if he didn't end up with double digit sacks.

Also Kinlaw might be a dark horse candidate.  He is going to a really good defense so that will help.  I would think their D-line will have more time to get to the QB than ours will.

Also his team is good so there is a good chance the opposition will be playing from behind often and throwing more.

Forgot about chase.  Yeah he is legit as well

On 8/15/2020 at 12:53 PM, trucpfan said:

I get a overall sense a lot of people think we’re going to be bad But I don’t believe Rhule and company believe that. 

What makes you think that a coaching staff with virtually no NFL coaching experience would automatically be on the money in accurately judging whether we’ll be good or bad?

On 8/14/2020 at 11:28 PM, Carl Spackler said:

How was signing Anderson dumb?

I mean instead of going 2-14, panthers improve to 3-13. Is that worth Anderson and his 10 million salary? Marty in all his football IQ also traded a comp 3rd for Anderson in a sense too. Anderson has never reached 1k yards either, plus have you seen him in panthers gear? Id set the over/under at 163 LBs. 

Rhule wants to win now, no matter the talent on the roster. I totally disagreed with throwing big money on free agents and it still looks like a impossible feat to make the playoffs. Maybe Rhule is hoping all the panthers opponents get convid and forfeit the games, big brain moves! 

Archived