• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looks like no college football. NFL on Saturdays?

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

If the opposite of elitism is blatant ignorance then give me elitism. Take your ignoritism over the cliff with the rest of the sheep. 

Oh I get it.  People with money have it because they are smart.  I'll be sure to write that down.

16 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

As long as the bubble players are also doing remote learning (lol ... like players actually do schoolwork), and indeed have zero contact with the outside world the entire season, I guess it could work. But you def can't have them just living on campus with other students. So the question is, can you make/force players stay in the bubble the whole season? Will they want to? We're talking young folk here.

It sounds good in theory, but in practice it seems like a pipe dream. Trying to keep 20 year old kids on a college campus in an isolated bubble? Yeah, good luck with that one. If you can pull that off, you might stand a realistic chance at conquering world peace next.

19 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

As long as the bubble players are also doing remote learning (lol ... like players actually do schoolwork), and indeed have zero contact with the outside world the entire season, I guess it could work. But you def can't have them just living on campus with other students. So the question is, can you make/force players stay in the bubble the whole season? Will they want to? We're talking young folk here.

The bold is part of the reason why I was saying that overall there could be less spreading if they are focused on playing football than just being students and/or being home. You can be a bit more certain that the young folk who don’t want to be in a bubble are taking the precautions because they have to and have people reminding them. If they aren’t playing football then what are they doing and are they coughing on grandma?

It sure seems like this is another political divide instead of a real discussion. Trump wants to play football. Anti-Trump says think of the children we are basically throwing these players into a forest fire. I think there’s way more to it and actually think players could end up safer and if there is transmission it might be better because it’s caught/tracked better and the infected are in general more healthy than family members. The Indiana kid is the poster child but have there been deaths or more hospitalizations? Are there more serious cases than the general public?

13 hours ago, 4Corners said:

The schools absolutely will - they are as we speak. Did you not read my other posts? 

but the NCAA, like YOU said they were, is not going to go bankrupt because of this. Even if there is no football or basketball this season. The NCAA, like the NFL, prints money dude. 

I was talking about the schools, not the NCAA. I couldn't care less what happens to them. 

13 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Interesting - where did U get these #s? Also, do u think it is possible there is some sort of insurance policy that the NCAA had to protect themselves in case something like this happened?

I’ll let you google it. Lots of sources out there.

The primary point is the NCAA is just a tool schools use to collect tournament/playoff money. The schools profit, not the NCAA as an org. The NCAA keeps 7% or so to cover their expenses. (Note: the NCAA ceo makes 4 mil a year)

Look at the top athletic programs and their revenue and expenses.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Some make a profit, but many just break even. I read the top 20 profitable programs make a combined 1 billion in profit.

The question is, where does the money go.

Alabama breaks down what they do with their money here: https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/01/alabama_footballs_piece_of_174.html

The players absolutely benefit from this revenue (just not in cash payments), but it’s clear which individuals profit the most.

The NCAA is a popular villain, but if you look at who profits the most individually from these students it is the coaches and athletic directors (maybe the equipment supplier executives like Nike?). 

A ton of people are making a living off these kids, but the coaches are  taking home the most as a group.

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's going to get really messy from a draft standpoint of some conferences play and others don't. The players in conferences that don't play are going to be at a major disadvantage. Out of sight out of mind. 

There won't be a draft. Yes, Justin Fields has been great. But imagine drafting a guy who will not have played since December and won't play this season. How do you keep these kids' minds sharp? How do you keep them in shape? These are crazy times, man.

Archived