• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

tEddY brIdgEwAtEr cAn't thrOw dEEp

Icege

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The guy is below average in practically every NFL category and has been for his entire career. I'm not trying to trash the guy, I'm just being realistic. He's a below average NFL QB. He's here because he's familiar with Brady's offense. He doesn't do anything particularly well. I've only pointed these statistics and his ranking compared to other QBs to point this out when posters claim he's good at this or that. He's not.

What is his whole career?  2 seasons with the Vikings and 5 games with New Orleans. Hardly a huge sample. Interesting his winning percentage isn't average and is much better than Cam.

Cam is very average at 71-59 for a percentage of 546.  Bridgewater is 22-12 or 22-13 or .647.

Sure Bridgewater doesn't have Cam's measurable but the most important stats for QBs and coaches and GMs I keep getting told when talking about Hurney or Rivera is winning percentage. If that is the case then Bridgewater is well above average 

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The guy is below average in practically every NFL category and has been for his entire career. I'm not trying to trash the guy, I'm just being realistic. He's a below average NFL QB. He's here because he's familiar with Brady's offense.

You can make that argument without continuously touting this silly “Time to Throw” stat.  I think you and Andy Dalton’s agent are about the only two people on this planet who swear by that metric as a strong indicator of QB performance.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see. His career performance says very likely not. Him being on his 4th team in 6 seasons says very likely not. Hurney very likely got duped again. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that he was ultimately basically bidding against himself.

You of all people know that quarterback play can vary depending on the fit, scheme and talent around him. And you know that his injury had the most to do with not playing after Minnesota until with New Orleans last year. 

And finally you know that the Bridgewater pick wasn't Hurney's pick but Brady's and by extension Rhule's. Honestly if it was up to Hurney I truly think he would have  rolled the dice with Cam.  

I know you don't like Bridgewater but if you try to stretch any harder to try to make him look bad you might pull something. Let's see how he does first 

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

What is his whole career?  2 seasons with the Vikings and 5 games with New Orleans. Hardly a huge sample. Interesting his winning percentage isn't average and is much better than Cam.

Cam is very average at 71-59 for a percentage of 546.  Bridgewater is 22-12 or 22-13 or .647.

Sure Bridgewater doesn't have Cam's measurable but the most important stats for QBs and coaches and GMs I keep getting told when talking about Hurney or Rivera is winning percentage. If that is the case then Bridgewater is well above average 

He had the best RB in football and a top 5 defense in Minnesota. He had one of the best offensive supporting casts and a decent defense in N.O. 

Teddy has never had to carry anything. We're going to find out how good he can truly be this year. My expectations are that we're contending for the #1 overall pick next April.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He had the best RB in football and a top 5 defense in Minnesota. He had one of the best offensive supporting casts and a decent defense in N.O. 

Teddy has never had to carry anything. We're going to find out how good he can truly be this year. My expectations are that we're contending for the #1 overall pick next April.

And who said he would have to carry any team. What we want is a game manager who can execute the offense and let the team do the work. The game manager title gets a bad rap and is associated with average or below average performance and that isn't true at all. More NFL quarterbacks are game managers than one man shows. 

My expectation is we will be exciting and frustrating at the same time. Will we win a lot? I can tell you a lot more after the first 2 or 3 games.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

And who said he would have to carry any team. What we want is a game manager who can execute the offense and let the team do the work. The game manager title gets a bad rap and is associated with average or below average performance and that isn't true at all. More NFL quarterbacks are game managers than one man shows. 

My expectation is we will be exciting and frustrating at the same time. Will we win a lot? I can tell you a lot more after the first 2 or 3 games.

A game manager isn't going to do anything but take Ls opposite the defense we're going to put on the field. It's not necessarily an indictment of Teddy to say we're going to be contending for the #1 overall pick. He's a below average QB. He just is. His career screams it. 4 teams in 6 seasons screams it. Good QBs who have as much game film as Teddy has don't bounce around the league. He's just not very good. But, he CAN be a game manager. If we had a top 5 defense, we might be able to compete for a playoff berth. We're likely to have a bottom 5 defense. We need to catch some breaks with some iyoung players and/or career journeymen playing well above expectations to simply field a below average defense. A QB like Teddy just isn't overcoming that, even with the best all around RB in football behind him and a solid cast of receivers. This OL is gonna be a problem too. I'm glad the guy got paid, because he's walking into a mess.

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A game manager isn't going to do anything but take Ls opposite the defense we're going to put on the field. It's not necessarily an indictment of Teddy to say we're going to be contending for the #1 overall pick. He's a below average QB. He just is. His career screams it. 4 teams in 6 seasons screams it. Good QBs who have as much game film as Teddy has don't bounce around the league. He's just not very good. But, he CAN be a game manager. If we had a top 5 defense, we might be able to compete for a playoff berth. We're likely to have a bottom 5 defense. We need to catch some breaks with some iyoung players and/or career journeymen playing well above expectations to simply field a below average defense. A QB like Teddy just isn't overcoming that, even with the best all around RB in football behind him and a solid cast of receivers. This OL is gonna be a problem too. I'm glad the guy got paid, because he's walking into a mess.

He has roughly 2 seasons under his belt. Would you think Cam would have done what he did in 2015 based on his first 2 seasons? At that point his win loss record was 13-19 his TD to Int rate was 41-29, his passer rating was around 85. He was a great big runner who was learning to be a quarterback and his stats would not have predicted 2015.

That is the point. This is a new team and new offense. What happened in Minnesota his first 2 years is not more telling than his 5-0 perfect record last year with New Orleans. 

Now if he struggles this year it might mean a lot more.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If only he had played in some other system so there were other numbers to look at...

oh wait...

2014 in Minnesota. 11.3 yards per completion. Tied for 24th in the NFL.

2015 in Minnesota. 11.1 yards per completion. 26th in the NFL. 

Those were also his first 2 years in the NFL, so I'm not ready to throw the guy out completely, in Drew brees's first 2 years as a starter he threw more int's than TD's and also topped out at just over 3500 yards as his top passing yardage in SD.  This isn't to say that Teddy is Brees, but players progress, changes of scenery matter, and offensive systems can be made to highlight players strengths, lets see what Teddy does before we crown him as clausen 2.0.

17 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

He has roughly 2 seasons under his belt. Would you think Cam would have done what he did in 2015 based on his first 2 seasons? At that point his win loss record was 13-19 his TD to Int rate was 41-29, his passer rating was around 85. He was a great big runner who was learning to be a quarterback and his stats would not have predicted 2015.

That is the point. This is a new team and new offense. What happened in Minnesota his first 2 years is not more telling than his 5-0 perfect record last year with New Orleans. 

Now if he struggles this year it might mean a lot more.

Let’s just overlook that Cam took over the worst team in the NFL. And a historically bad offense. But they were top 5 in offense in 2011. What was the defense ranked that year? Should Cam have played LB as well. While throwing for more yards than any rookie QB ever. And running for as many TDs(another record) as TB has even thrown in a season. 

7 hours ago, jfra78 said:

We will be in no position to get the overhyped Trevor Lawrence, you should get used to that.

I find it curious that you feel confident asserting this going into a season in which a brand new coaching staff with scant experience NFL experience, a roster in turmoil AFTER going 5-11, and a coronavirus environment that magnifies these lack of continuity negatives mean we have arguably as good a chance as any team in the league at landing the top spot in next year’s draft.

Archived