• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What will it take for you to be impressed by Matt Rhule this season?

Jeremy Igo

Obviously, more wins than losses and playoff contention would be impressive. 

But it won't take that.  Out of the coaching staff, I would like to see indications that they are putting players in a position to succeed and thus putting the team in a position to win.  For years, we have lined our 22 up against the opponent's 22, and if we won enough of those matchups, we'd win.  If not, we'd lose.  Making adjustments was verboten, some sort of admission of defeat.  Remmers will win the match against Miller or else.  I'll be impressed if I can conclude those days are over and the coaching staff is capable of being the difference and can steal a win every now and then.  Even if the adjustments aren't successful, if I can see how they could have been with more talent or more experience, I'll be fine with it.

Out of the team, if they end the season as a more cohesive unit than they started the season and I can see progress, I'll be happy.  If our draft choices show they can be the answer in their respective positions, I'll be very happy.

We've deluded ourselves for several seasons thinking we were just a couple of pieces away.  The truth is, 2015 was a lightning strike that was unlikely to repeat.  Regardless of the odds, repeating it was beyond our coaching ability and personnel decisions, anyway.  I'd like to end 2020 feeling like there actually is a plan in place.  

Patience, Grasshopper. 

I am impressed so far. He has handled the off-season well, been on point with the BLM movement, and hasn't whined or complained about the absolute worse case scenario to start your pro tenure. He has said the right things and has a great personality for a head coach. The question for me is whether he handles the team well when the losses start mounting. Then again he might be great with that given he surely has experience rebuilding teams. So will I stay impressed.?  I hope so 

9 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Let's say he squeaks out 6 wins with this crew. Would that do it? 

What if there is 2 wins but the team improves and starts to come together at the end of the season? How about that?

What would it take for you to get excited about Rhule.

I don't know that I have a specific win total that would make me impressed. I think if more often than not, I watch a game and think, "Wow, we are MUCH better than I thought we were going to be" that will be my bar of being impressed.

I say that as maintaining that we have the worst roster in franchise history and believing it may be at least 5-6 years before we see a playoff berth. So, is the bar low? Yes.

Not playing up to good teams then playing down to bad ones, just playing consistently better & better football.

I know this will take a few seasons to hash out, but I've been watching us do that for more than two decades & I'm fugging tired of it. 

Random ones: if both Curtis Samuel and Donte Jackson look like players worth giving a second contract to--if you guys can convince yourselves Bradbury was worth a contract extension then anything is possible with D Jack)

Run defense is better (very very low bar there)

Chinn can actually cover and doesn't just look like Deone Buchanan

Rhule talks a good game out of both sides of his mouth...the Pete Carroll school of coaching  if he can be as good as Carroll in the pros, wonderful 

I just dont understand the retention of Hurney and player moves that make no sense  why go into a rebuild with the same GM who put us in bad positions previously? 

I don’t understand the large contract given to Thompson before the hiring of the head coach I mean, you are giving a large contract to a nice average player as a reward for being the last lb standing ?

bridgewater for 60 million, meh...look, if he were all that great, why would Payton let him walk knowing this is Brees’ last year   

as someone said earlier, long time PSL holder, and this is the least interested I’ve ever been in a Panthers team   If they come out and look prepared to play and the coaches have some grasp  of time management, schemes to help what players they have do their best and understand how to counter scheme adjustments , that will be a start 

Archived