• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What will it take for you to be impressed by Matt Rhule this season?

Jeremy Igo

We had an all vet crew last year and hopes of being in the playoffs. This year we are clearly rebuilding, so I’ll be impressed with Rhule if we simply improve throughout the season rather than get much worse...like we have the last few years. I don’t think anyone expects much in the win column, but I would love to see the young players develop, under performers to be held accountable, and simple mistakes that we have complained about for years to be eliminated like Delay of game penalties, adjustments etc.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't expect us to be good and I expect this very inexperienced (by NFL standards) to have a lot of rookie errors. It's not about the W/L record for me. I just want to see a coaching staff that can learn and adapt over the course of the season and dare I even ask, but make in game adjustments. I'm not sure the Panthers have ever had one. Our success or failure has always depended on the game plan (largely developed prior to the season) working or not. It feels like we've never had a plan B. Plan A either works or it doesn't and barring a heroic individual performance on the field, we win or lose based on the success or failure of plan A. If we fail, it's due to the players' inability to execute the brilliant and flawless plan that needed no potential alternatives.

Couldn't have been said better. I don't care about wins this year. Learn and develope. That goes for players and coaches.

When I can see that we're making adjustments and getting the right match ups on the field to favor our team. We basically lost the Super Bowl because Ron wouldn't help Remmers with Von Miller. Rhule has to be willing and able to alter the gameplan on the fly to help players who are getting beat, and help our stars who might be in a funk snap out of it and start making plays. We'll know by the end of the season if Rhule and his staff can make lemonade out of lemons because we have mostly lemons.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't expect us to be good and I expect this very inexperienced (by NFL standards) to have a lot of rookie errors. It's not about the W/L record for me. I just want to see a coaching staff that can learn and adapt over the course of the season and dare I even ask, but make in game adjustments. I'm not sure the Panthers have ever had one. Our success or failure has always depended on the game plan (largely developed prior to the season) working or not. It feels like we've never had a plan B. Plan A either works or it doesn't and barring a heroic individual performance on the field, we win or lose based on the success or failure of plan A. If we fail, it's due to the players' inability to execute the brilliant and flawless plan that needed no potential alternatives.

Well said

For me, I just want to see improvement from the staff and the players when we compare the start of the season to the end of the season.  In my mind this season is all about laying a foundation for the next 3-4 season to come.  I'm not as worried about how many wins he gets this first year, but I do want to see the players buying into "his way" and making the right strides.  And I want to see coaches in charge of offense and defense making in-game adjustments and being less predictable from game to game.  Oh, and I'd like to see the intensity stay high until the game is over.  The one thing that drove me crazy with Rivera was his ability to take his foot off the gas and go ultraconservative when he got a lead.

I don't want to see him on the sidelines with the same look on his face whether we're up by 10 or down by 50.  Get mad when you should and give praise when you should.

Over the long haul, I want to see him be a player's coach, but not a player's friend.  He's not there to stroke egos.  Be the coach and make the players better.  When they use the wrong technique call them out and when they make an amazing play be the first to give them a chest bump.

4 hours ago, Harbingers said:

That’s a huge thing to me. Tackling and wrapping up properly is going to be huge to me with this transition. I’m sorry but I’m not sold on this new DC at all, we all know him and rhule are buddies but 3 green college coaches in the top three spots really worried me. I don’t want to turn into a NO/ATL style shootout team. We need to maintain a stout defense, who can bend but won’t break.

Edit: something even I will admit was sorely lacking in Ron’s last few years.

I understand the skepticism, but I remember reading that Baylor was the only decent defense in the Big 12 last year (which has a negative defensive stereotype in general). I thought that was encouraging to me, though I don't follow college football that close.

As for my expectations. I agree that solid fundamentals from our young guys is something I want to see. That along with good schemes, in-game adjustments, clock management, smart challenge flags, and high energy. Wins and losses doesn't really matter this year.

To actually "impress" me, I'll need to see a coordinated team effort in all three phases of the game. I want to see cohesive game plans executed to the best ability of the players. If the team loses, it's because they lacked the talent and experience of the other team. If the Panthers are a losing team this year because of bad coaching, well, I obviously won't be impressed.

Basically, I want the opposite of what I saw from Ron Rivera, who routinely had superiorly talented and experienced squads, but inferior game plans.

I will be impressed if we show that we have something to build on for the future, while also losing enough games to get one of the top 3 QBs. Mind you, I can't watch a Panthers game and pull for us to lose, but those top 3 look like future studs. But, I like Teddy too, so I am torn. 

Honestly impressed with how Rhule honeydicked Tepper and many others into thinking he was one of the hottest NFL coaching candidates.  

Its a super bizarre season, I am in impressed with his handling of off-season- no excuses and just find a way, bro was his motto. He did say one of the focuses would be player development. So if we see some improve there by seasons end, that would be impressive too. Ron sure did not impress there at all. With 16 men PS, i see why Rhule is wanting to focus on that. 

Ive said this before, he has the hardest HC job in NFL history. Lost nearly 50% of 2019 snaps. Lost Cam, Luke, Mario, Poe, McCoy, Reid, Turner, Olsen, Irvin and many other proven Vets. Neither DC or OC have called a NFL play. OC is 30 years old and didnt call plays for LSU last year. DC is 64 years old, only had three years coaching NFL LBs and one of those years the team was 0-16. About 98% of the staff is form powerhouses Baylor or Temple. Rhule himself describes himself as not being a "offensive or defensive guru", along with only being a HC since 2011......at powerhouses Temple and Baylor.

Archived