• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What will it take for you to be impressed by Matt Rhule this season?

Jeremy Igo

I will be impressed if things that have frustrated us for years are improved upon. I want to see players develop. I want to see preparation and improved game planning even if they talent and cohesion is not there yet. I do not want to see moping and lack of urgency. I'm not sure I have a specific number of wins that means anything. If it's entertaining to watch then I think I consider that a success. Recently the team's ruts are so depressing they aren't entertaining.

It's perhaps not entirely fair to Rhule and the staff/team but I can't really say at this point. I think the main thing will be seeing a team that doesn't quit, that visibly improves throughout the season (even if it doesn't result in wins), that has a staff that appears to use the players to their strengths and adapts to the opponents (again, not necessarily resulting in wins), and most importantly develops consistency and doesn't have week-to-week polarity like Rivera teams did. 

honestly, as someone who's been a die-hard fan since '95 my interest in and engagement with the team is the lowest it's ever been right now. Seeing Rivera retained into 2019 was very deflating from the start and only got worse as the season went along. I'm trying to keep an open mind and come into this season with minimal expectations. This is a very unique and difficult situation for the staff and players and things could be very ugly but that doesn't mean it's self-inflicted like Panthers ugliness has been in the past. 

Be  competitive  in  most  of  the  games .

We  have  lost  some  of  the  best  players  we  have  ever  had, and  replaced  them  with  draft  picks  and  free  agents.  Inexperienced  coaches,  new  systems, and  reduced  practices.

I  just  want  to  be  able  to  want  to  watch  all of  the  games , and  not  turn  off  at  half  time  and  think  --  bring  back  Jimmy  Clausen

I don't expect us to be good and I expect this very inexperienced (by NFL standards) to have a lot of rookie errors. It's not about the W/L record for me. I just want to see a coaching staff that can learn and adapt over the course of the season and dare I even ask, but make in game adjustments. I'm not sure the Panthers have ever had one. Our success or failure has always depended on the game plan (largely developed prior to the season) working or not. It feels like we've never had a plan B. Plan A either works or it doesn't and barring a heroic individual performance on the field, we win or lose based on the success or failure of plan A. If we fail, it's due to the players' inability to execute the brilliant and flawless plan that needed no potential alternatives.

27 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Let's say he squeaks out 6 wins with this crew. Would that do it? 

What if there is 2 wins but the team improves and starts to come together at the end of the season? How about that?

What would it take for you to get excited about Rhule.

I’ve already prepared myself for a 1-15(or equivalent in this year speak) or 3-13. A 6-10 or above would be impressive.

I really want to see what he does next year though, that’s my marker. This year to me is just a test drive to make sure all the cylinders are firing.

I’m really happy about having teddy and I think he will elevate the play of all the young bloods on the team.

Understanding of and execution of time clock management 

game planning —-> in game adjustments 

hold ALL in the organization accountable 

player evaluation and roster adjustments 

team sense of urgency

ability to build on a lead during game rather than coast while up by 3.

Infectious team confidence and killer instinct 

let’s tackle these issues first, and Wins will come as a net result of these improvements 

A lot of folks here are confusing normal expectations with being impressed.  My honest expectation for this team is 3-5 wins.  Heck, CMC will probably win us 2 or 3 games pretty much on his own.  That's what we should be expecting, and simply meeting expectations should never be considered "impressive".

To be impressed?  We need to win 7-8 games.  That would be impressive considering where we're coming from.

10 minutes ago, Billy Love said:

let’s tackle these issues first. Wins will come as a result.

That’s a huge thing to me. Tackling and wrapping up properly is going to be huge to me with this transition. I’m sorry but I’m not sold on this new DC at all, we all know him and rhule are buddies but 3 green college coaches in the top three spots really worried me. I don’t want to turn into a NO/ATL style shootout team. We need to maintain a stout defense, who can bend but won’t break.

Edit: something even I will admit was sorely lacking in Ron’s last few years.

Honestly, I'll know when I see it!

In general, a marked improvement on offense, especially as it pertains to creativity in play calling & situational awareness. I guess adaptability could be under the situational awareness umbrella, but I put a premium on adaptability in all areas, including the willingness to play the best people at the time, regardless of seniority, especially if the vet isn't getting it done.

On the defensive side of the ball, I want to see some development! We have some decent pieces in my estimation, so I want to see some positive progression.

Archived