• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Covid Cap Implications

Jeremy Igo

On 7/24/2020 at 11:21 AM, bababoey said:

Math is hard.

Think Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

It’s not that hard we just aren’t getting hard numbers. A multi billion loss over one year is a whole different e ball game than a 1 billion loss over 10.  Especially if it’s part of a greater equation.   I haven’t seen numbers on either.  

47 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Correct, but Brees will still have a 20+ million dead cap hit. There's immediate savings, obviously, but they're essentially getting two Matt Kalil's on their dead cap without an actual QB signed unless you call then 31 year old unproven Taysom Hill that. If they want to spread that dead cap hit then by all means, but they're still in line to be 30-40 million over the cap if Brees retires, with all of those guys above needing deals.  Back loading those deals with a questionable QB future after all these years and one wrong move locks them into cap hell and in search of a QB at the same time. Brees has been the bandaid holding everything together with a couple of great drafts.  That bandaid gets ripped off, a lot of the sores of the past will get exposed. 

I get what you are saying, i just caution people to automatically think that for some reason they will be regulated to a losing record for the next 10 years because of all of this.

Their success will depend on the same thing as us and every other team in the league.  Can they find a QB?  The cap part of it they can reset in a few years. 

Archived