• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Covid Cap Implications

Jeremy Igo

So owners are pushing for more immediate cap relief, cutting 10 million from the cap this year. Players want to spread it over 10 years when they will have already gotten paid and screw those young guys.

Good news is the Panthers are already 10 million under the cap, so they are fine as is. What will be funny is when other teams scramble to restructure veterans salaries (cough cough Tampa Bay cough)

If they do it, it won't hurt teams to start the season.  Where it is going to hurt is during the season.  When guys get hurt and they have to have cap room for injury replacements.  Instead of teams having 12 or 15 million in cap room they got 2 or 5 million and if a lot of guys get hurt early it's possible you see teams that simply don't replace injured guys because they don't have the cap room.

3 minutes ago, bababoey said:

If they do it, it won't hurt teams to start the season.  Where it is going to hurt is during the season.  When guys get hurt and they have to have cap room for injury replacements.  Instead of teams having 12 or 15 million in cap room they got 2 or 5 million and if a lot of guys get hurt early it's possible you see teams that simply don't replace injured guys because they don't have the cap room.

True

Good thing the Panthers will replace players with vet minimum guys this year.

Can we just call this year a scrimmage and just enjoy anything we can get? Easy for us but painful for teams like the Saints, which is just a huge bonus to this Dookie pie we are being served called 2020.

Teams that would be hurt the most by a 10 million dollar reduction in salary cap.

Buccaneers: -5,300,000

Chiefs: -5,200,000

Rams: -4,800,000

Steelers: -4,600,000

Cardinals: -4,200,000

Raiders: -4,000,000

Ravens: -2,500,000

Patriots: -1,500,000

Falcons: -1,500,000

Saints: -1,300,000

Cowboys: -650,000

Vikings: -180,000

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Can we just call this year a scrimmage and just enjoy anything we can get? Easy for us but painful for teams like the Saints, which is just a huge bonus to this Dookie pie we are being served called 2020.

It was definitely a good year to rebuild. 

19 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

Teams that would be hurt the most by a 10 million dollar reduction in salary cap.

Buccaneers: -5,300,000

Chiefs: -5,200,000

Rams: -4,800,000

Steelers: -4,600,000

Cardinals: -4,200,000

Raiders: -4,000,000

Ravens: -2,500,000

Patriots: -1,500,000

Falcons: -1,500,000

Saints: -1,300,000

Cowboys: -650,000

Vikings: -180,000

With that list we should probably cut it 15 million just to be safe. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

So owners are pushing for more immediate cap relief, cutting 10 million from the cap this year. Players want to spread it over 10 years when they will have already gotten paid and screw those young guys.

Good news is the Panthers are already 10 million under the cap, so they are fine as is. What will be funny is when other teams scramble to restructure veterans salaries (cough cough Tampa Bay cough)

Is there a hard source for the 10m yet?  I have been reading the NFL is projected to lose billions and the players want to spread that over 10 years vs taking it all in one year.  I am not getting how the math works either way.  1billion in one year / 32 is 31million a team.  

1 hour ago, pnthrs said:

Is there a hard source for the 10m yet?  I have been reading the NFL is projected to lose billions and the players want to spread that over 10 years vs taking it all in one year.  I am not getting how the math works either way.  1billion in one year / 32 is 31million a team.  

Math is hard.

Think Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

2 hours ago, pnthrs said:

The salary cap is calculated based on the revenue. So it's not just about spreading the loss in revenue among teams. It's about plugging the reduced revenue in to the model that calculates the cap.

43 minutes ago, stirs said:

How many pro and college athletes have died from Covid so far?

I'm not sure any but that has never really been the point. There have been family members of professional athletes to die. People seem to completely miss the point when it comes to forcing less at risk populations to do things for someone else's politics.  Regardless of athlete or children deaths it's a mechanism for spread.

Canada didn't bar the Blue Jays from playing in Canada to protect the Blue Jays. They did it to stop influx of cases it would facilitate.

Archived