• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mahomes gets a 10 year deal.

Jeremy Igo

24 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

That works in basketball but with how Cam's career has transpired I'm locking in as long possible if I'm an elite QB.

Basketball is different for many reasons.  But one important reason is that each individual player has a cap, and that cap is lower than what teams are willing to pay if it were a truly open market.  So in the current QB market, its like if they had a cap that the most you can pay a QB is $15M/year.  In that landscape, feeling that teams would easily pay $25M+, it makes perfect sense to go into short deals, watch the player cap rise, and then cash in over and over again.  Locking in at $15M would be stupid.

1 hour ago, Happy Panther said:

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY

I love how he says "guarantee mechanisms."  Talk about click bait language.

Probably some weird language in this contract and also some injury protection for the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual contract was only 3-4 years fully guaranteed and then riddled with option bonuses thereafter. He and his agent get to tout largest sports contract ever and team gets some protection in case he's injured. 

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's gonna be very interesting to see the actual structure. Tough to say much until that comes out.

141 million injury guarantee and I'd be willing to bet that's in the first 2-3 years of the extension part of the deal and signing bonus.  

Found a breakdown. Roster option bonuses every year starting year 2. Which is the 5th year option. So it's guaranteed anyway, so really unconventional option roster bonuses start in year 3. Team has an out after year 5 it looks or year 3 of the extension portion of the contract. Only because 141 is guaranteed for injury and that's the first 5 years of the deal. Screenshot_20200706-191356.thumb.jpg.c661d4d4038a7f6f0f64211fbe94bcc8.jpg

38 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

So in all actuality it's really a 5 year deal worth 183 million or a 3 year deal worth 141 million. Here's the rolling guaranteed numbers and when they are guaranteed at. 

Screenshot_20200706-192537.jpg

Guarantees that kick in at the end of one league year and count towards the next league year need context to assess their real value.

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

Basketball is different for many reasons.  But one important reason is that each individual player has a cap, and that cap is lower than what teams are willing to pay if it were a truly open market.  So in the current QB market, its like if they had a cap that the most you can pay a QB is $15M/year.  In that landscape, feeling that teams would easily pay $25M+, it makes perfect sense to go into short deals, watch the player cap rise, and then cash in over and over again.  Locking in at $15M would be stupid.

I love how he says "guarantee mechanisms."  Talk about click bait language.

Ian Makeupareport

17 hours ago, Wes21 said:

Guarantees that kick in at the end of one league year and count towards the next league year need context to assess their real value.

They become vested and fully guaranteed on the dates shown. The141m over the first three years is guaranteed for injury only at the start, with 63 fully guaranteed day 1. Then in year 2, that jumps to 100m fully guaranteed, 141 in year 3. 180m in year 4 and 183m in year 5. 

Those numbers are fully guaranteed on the dates above. Reason I say it's a 5 year deal worth 183m is the jump in guarantees over the following two seasons. It's entirely possible he sees 6 years and 222m but no way he hits year 7 and they pay him 52m for one season. Hell, at that point he would probably want a restructuring if he's playing well enough to keep the contract bonuses coming. 

They are also not traditional option bonuses but straight roster bonuses from what I gathered and understand, meaning if he's in the roster on day 3 he gets the bonus for the following season.  

On most of these bonuses he's getting paid 1-2 years in advanced. 

Dude is going to make a billion in career earnings before he retires.  For throwing a football once a week half the year.   To put that in perspective, a teacher in Missouri making average wage of 50k would have to work for 20,000 years to get the same career earnings.  Football is overrated.       

53 minutes ago, CatTower said:

Dude is going to make a billion in career earnings before he retires.  For throwing a football once a week half the year.   To put that in perspective, a teacher in Missouri making average wage of 50k would have to work for 20,000 years to get the same career earnings.  Football is overrated.       

Society has valued entertainment over education for a long time, especially in the US. 

I am not mad at Mahomes. He is setting the market, so good for him.

6 hours ago, CatTower said:

Go back to the teachers union Nancy, this is a football forum. 

6 hours ago, CatTower said:

Did you post the same thing on the teachers forum?

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Society has valued entertainment over education for a long time, especially in the US. 

I am not mad at Mahomes. He is setting the market, so good for him.

I remember Booger McFarland said on his radio show "in America, if you can sack the quarterback, we will pay you more than a brain surgeon."

Archived