• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mahomes gets a 10 year deal.

Jeremy Igo

11 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Nah, I agree but what’s the next highest right now? 35M? He’s going to be over 40 a year easy.  

My point is they just raised the QB market but 5 million because they didn’t give a fug about other teams. Reid’s trying to build a patriots-esque dynasty around Mahomes. While everyone one was nickel-and-diming before the new CBA, with a mil there, half a mil here. KC said fug it and really just threw a serious wrench into everything.

Yeah this is unprecedented length of a contract for a star QB in the current league climate. Most wouldn’t take a deal that long since any agent who knows anything would advise highly against it because of the rising salary cap, but Mahomes decided it was worth it to do 12 years with the yearly average being that much higher than the previous highest paid. I think this is a very very team friendly deal in the long run though it’ll also depend a bit on how it is structured and obviously there is tremendous risk for the Chiefs if he gets injured or his play slips (unlikely and I’d say well worth the gamble). 

Mahomes could’ve gotten so much more in the long run if he did a series of shorter deals but he clearly values establishing a legacy in KC and winning championships—thus more endorsement money to probably outweigh any lost opportunity for salary.

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yeah this is unprecedented length of a contract for a star QB in the current league climate. Most wouldn’t take a deal that long since any agent who knows anything would advise highly against it because of the rising salary cap, but Mahomes decided it was worth it to do 12 years with the yearly average being that much higher than the previous highest paid. I think this is a very very team friendly deal in the long run though it’ll also depend a bit on how it is structured and obviously there is tremendous risk for the Chiefs if he gets injured or his play slips (unlikely and I’d say well worth the gamble). 

Mahomes could’ve gotten so much more in the long run if he did a series of shorter deals but he clearly values establishing a legacy in KC and winning championships—thus more endorsement money to probably outweigh any lost opportunity for salary.

I guess the one good thing that came out of this and cams departure is we won’t have to worry about paying Cam 42 mil next year. 

9 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY

What in the world??? That's 50% higher than the next highest contract. At that rate, I'm not sure Mahomes' contract will ever look like a bargain. Maybe fair value at some point but those numbers are just absurd right now. But hey, if they can pull off the financials and still field a competitive team, more power to them. 

1 hour ago, t96 said:

That works in basketball but with how Cam's career has transpired I'm locking in as long possible if I'm an elite QB.

5 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

That works in basketball but with how Cam's career has transpired I'm locking in as long possible if I'm an elite QB.

Especially during this Covid stuff. I’m locking in to a long term contract quick if I have the opportunity 

Archived