• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Define success for the 2020 Panthers

Jeremy Igo

Sitting here drinking my coffee and wondering what at the end of the season (assuming there is a season) could we look back on and say yeah, that was a good season. 

Steady improvement of players?

Tanking for Trevor?

Solid coaching that just doesn't have the skill on the field yet?

At this point just existing would be successful.

I hope to see learning from coaches and players. If they can do that then we will see improvement throughout the year I still hope happens. That is sooooo exciting to me because we have seen little of it consistently in fornever.

The rest is noise to me. The last two offseasons have been declared absolute wins and we still sucked. The insightful criticisms held true to reality. Im still on that path for now.

Really only one thing for me. Rhule shows in some way he can make it in the NFL and not just make it, show promise.

I don’t expect new, young players in a new scheme to win many games or look that great. We’re still paying a poo ton of dead money, and paying players who don’t do poo.

Those things will pass and change, but it’s very very important Rhule doesn’t look like a bad college coach turn pro flop. That’s all I want.

7 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Really only one thing for me. Rhule shows in some way he can make it in the NFL and not just make it, show promise.

I don’t expect new, young players in a new scheme to win many games or look that great. We’re still paying a poo ton of dead money, and paying players who don’t do poo.

Those things will pass and change, but it’s very very important Rhule doesn’t look like a bad college coach turn pro flop. That’s all I want.

This is true. I think Tepper is all in on Rhule and his process and part of that is an understanding that the first season or two are likely not going to yield good W-L results. So, if Rhule is a flop we're likely in for at least three years of flailing before we kick rocks and move on.

Solid coaching and progress throughout the season, especially on defense. 

This is a very young team. Things might be rough early on. But if we see progress and improvement it means that Rhule is getting results and we have something to look forward to.

If things get bad, and the team doesn't respond, I'd be nervous Rhule is the guy.

A successful season would be knowing that Rhule is going to be the guy for the long term.

I want to see the new staff and young core of talent show promise. As long as we can see a path to building a consistent winner, the season will be deemed a success in my book. I would love to get a shot at drafting one of the top 3 QBs, so I am torn about the number of wins I want to see. 

I don't think there will be a season, but let's say there is one. I basically want to see our top draft picks, QB, and best returning players and prospects playing at a high level. That way I at least know we have a core group of players to build around for the future. If guys like Brown and Yetur don't do much then we're looking at an even longer rebuilding process. I have have no expectations of a winning season or making the playoffs.

Another nice sign of success would be our coaching staff winning the x's and o's chess match that takes place throughout every game. Adjustments were never our strong suit under RR. If plan A didn't work, then we typically lost the game.

Progression as the season goes on and fielding a competitive team. Blowouts every week would suck. If we win 4 games but of the 12 losses like 10 of them are within a score I would consider that a huge success.

2 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I don't think there will be a season, but let's say there is one. I basically want to see our top draft picks, QB, and best returning players and prospects playing at a high level. That way I at least know we have a core group of players to build around for the future. If guys like Brown and Yetur don't do much then we're looking at an even longer rebuilding process. I have have no expectations of a winning season or making the playoffs.

Another nice sign of success would be our coaching staff winning the x's and o's chess match that takes place throughout every game. Adjustments were never our strong suit under RR. If plan A didn't work, then we typically lost the game.

I wouldn't be terribly discouraged if they don't set the world on fire. Honestly, I don't know if Brown is ever going to be a huge stats guy. My expectations for him is basically to be a Kris Jenkins who doesn't blow up to 400 pounds in the off-season leading to injury issues and a shortened career. DEs in particular oftentimes need some seasoning in the NFL. We saw it with Charles Johnson. He only started 4 games in his first three seasons and totaled 10 sacks while failing to record a single one as a rookie. He ultimately became a very good NFL DE. I could see Yetur following a similar pathway. He looks NFL ready to me as a run defender, but his pass rush needs work. Honestly, that's okay for us right now. We need more immediate help against the run as it is. He has the measurables and athleticism to develop into a quality NFL pass rusher. If he was NFL ready as a pass rusher and needed work as a run defender, he would've been a 1st round pick since pass rushers are more valued. Early on in his career, I wouldn't be surprised for him to be used as a two down player. On the field for 1st and 2nd down for run defense, comes off the field in passing situations to put a better pass rusher on the field.

Archived