• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saints player says no NFL season .

Jeremy Igo

56 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Okay. You're treating it like a work hazard. It's not like not wearing safety glasses, where if you make a decision, you put yourself at risk. Handling a virus isn't a "personal choice," because it puts other people at risk. Your decision to stay in the workforce isn't just putting you personally at risk. Because if you contract the virus, you can spread it to other people who can spread it to other people, etc. etc.

His "personal decision" to stay home doesn't really help matters, because as long as people are making the "personal decision" to go to work and act as though things are normal, the virus still has an opportunity to find hosts and spread.

And may I remind you, that's still happening. We've got new cases spiking like we haven't seen since April. And that's happening in spite of all the precautions we're supposed to be taking. And in spite of the fact that we've been living with this virus for months, know lots more about it than we did in April, and should be better prepared to stop the spread of the disease. 

image.png.317318660f5d995c74f677bb026765c9.png

^^^You know what that is? That's a poo-ton of "personal decisions" right there. ^^^

So the decision of some people to go back to work is ensuring the virus remains in the population and affects society, including the people who decide to not return to work. I mean, Malcolm can make the decision to not go to work, but he will still be in a society where he's at risk of contracting the virus because other people made the "personal decision" to return to work.  So, what you're suggesting isn't really, "don't go to work." In order for it to be effective, Malcolm would have to completely remove himself from society, which most people cannot do.

What your suggesting is less like work safety goggles, and a lot more more like treating drunk driving is a "personal choice." Yes, it's one person's decision, but it's putting himself and lots of other people at risk. Which is why it's illegal and people should abstain from doing it. The only difference it, if a drunk driver hits someone, they don't also turn into a drunk driver and start driving around drunk and hitting more people.

I own a company that hires medical professionals for healthcare facilities. One of the positions that I often fill is that of an Epidemiologist. I talk to them regularly, so I have some insight into what lots of different PhD's are thinking about COVID-19. THere are lots of different thoughts on who to do and how to best help the population. However, the thing that they all agree on, that no one is talking about, is this virus is here to stay. It's not going away. It's most likely that we will all get it before a vaccine is introduced. Vaccines take 10-15 years before they are approved to be released to the public. There is a good reason for the rigorous approval process because throughout history, vaccines that were introduced prematurely have had adverse effects on the public, some even killed people. Here is a great article by the College of Physicians of Philadelphia that talks about the history of vaccines and what is required by law to introduce them to the public. https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation

By staying away from each other (social distancing) we slow the spread, but we don't eliminate it until a vaccine is approved. Most of us will develop immunity through exposure before we see a vaccine. People who are most at risk should avoid other people, and we as a population need to identify those who are most at risk and avoid contact with them. Stopping sports this season or next will have very little effect of the LONG TERM outcome to our population.

Salescall, you are correct. This is not going anywhere and we all will indeed be exposed at some point. I realize everyone is different but I choose not to live in fear. It’s clear the pandemic is being used to usher in new systems and control measures. IMO we should make every effort to live as normally as possible. Football should and will be played this fall.

do we really want to watch football with a bunch of UDFAs and ex arena players?

do we want to watch teams with key players out due to choice to being excluding for testing positive?

what about coaches, HC tests positive...

sorry guys, don’t see it, the season is not happening

We're not wearing masks and socially distancing to beat the virus, we're doing it to spread the impact over a wider period of time so that we don't end up nationally like New York City was just a month and a half ago. The virus isn't going to go away, just like influenza didn't disappear after 1920. 

Right now, if we go back to taking no precautions to slow the infection (because sooner or later we will all be exposed) then it will quickly boom throughout our very mobile (and pretty unhealthy) population and there won't be an ICU bed available in the 50 states. Folks, we got hit hard in NYC, New Orleans, Seattle and Detroit with lesser rates of infection elsewhere across the nation. Those handful of hot spots and smaller outbreaks killed almost one half of as many American people directly in 4.5 months than World War II did in 1941-1945. Almost two and half times as many Americans as the Vietnam War claimed.

And let's not even talk about the long-term effects on those hospitalized who survived. Many are having to await lung transplants because of the massive damage the virus does, others will have long-term heart and breathing issues that will make them even more vulnerable to the next strain of Coronavirus that emerges.

We aren't playing to win this, we're playing for time. Time to not just get a vaccine but to develop really effective treatments for those who catch it, to restock our supplies, rest and retrain our medical personnel and to maybe pray that another strain isn't ready to emerge as early as this winter.

Sh!t man, in the end, it's just football, no matter how much we love it. Let's try and keep some perspective.

2 hours ago, Wes21 said:

They should just call it a protest each Sunday.  Problem solved.

That solves nothing and is as stupid as those that called it a protest so they could attend a race. Right afterwards the governor recommended that everyone who attended should get tested since they identified several people who went to the race and subsequently tested positive for Covid 19.  

Normally humor is appreciated but when it reflects the honest and ignorant views of many people (not saying you are serious) it becomes no laughing matter.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

That solves nothing and is as stupid as those that called it a protest so they could attend a race. Right afterwards the governor recommended that everyone who attended should get tested since they identified several people who went to the race and subsequently tested positive for Covid 19.  

Normally humor is appreciated but when it reflects the honest and ignorant views of many people (not saying you are serious) it becomes no laughing matter.

Lighten up Francis.  This interwebz is serious business apparently. LOL

38 minutes ago, ncsfinest21 said:

Nobody is willing to take a risk til there is a proven vaccine. The longer it takes to make that available to the masses, the hold off will happen. The vaccines is what they are waiting for.

At BEST we are talking about after the season for a vaccine (6 months is a extremely generous estimate) so if that's what folks are waiting for, then the stands are going to be sparse.   That's even if fans are allowed at all.  

2 hours ago, Salescall said:

I own a company that hires medical professionals for healthcare facilities. One of the positions that I often fill is that of an Epidemiologist. I talk to them regularly, so I have some insight into what lots of different PhD's are thinking about COVID-19. THere are lots of different thoughts on who to do and how to best help the population. However, the thing that they all agree on, that no one is talking about, is this virus is here to stay. It's not going away. It's most likely that we will all get it before a vaccine is introduced. Vaccines take 10-15 years before they are approved to be released to the public. There is a good reason for the rigorous approval process because throughout history, vaccines that were introduced prematurely have had adverse effects on the public, some even killed people. Here is a great article by the College of Physicians of Philadelphia that talks about the history of vaccines and what is required by law to introduce them to the public. https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation

By staying away from each other (social distancing) we slow the spread, but we don't eliminate it until a vaccine is approved. Most of us will develop immunity through exposure before we see a vaccine. People who are most at risk should avoid other people, and we as a population need to identify those who are most at risk and avoid contact with them. Stopping sports this season or next will have very little effect of the LONG TERM outcome to our population.

This time money and resources are being allocated to find a vaccine that have never been available. Literally billions. And it is a world wide effort. The reality is that several vaccines have been developed already and one promising one is already going to begin stage 2 testing on humans. This is 100 times faster than the past. The sticking point has always been waiting to see if the vaccine can protect folks from getting it once antibodies are formed.  That used to take years as you don't want to infect people with the virus but see how many naturally get infected on their own. This time I understand that people are volunteering to go through it to quickly move things along. Plus companies are already producing millions of doses of the vaccine so if it is deemed safe and effective they can roll out doses very quickly. What I have read it that they expect the vaccine to be approved and ready in the next 6-12 months. Now it might be the immunity doesn't last and you will need boosters perhaps yearly.

But I think that this is a novel virus and we are doing novel things. The inevitability of a million or more people dying from Covid 19 is not acceptable or inevitable. And if everyone gets it in this country and only 1/2 of 1% die that is almost 2 million folks. More than every war we have ever fought.

10 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Lighten up Francis.  This interwebz is serious business apparently. LOL

Again if folks took this more serious then humor might be appreciated but this is deadly serious. 120000 people dying and we are still in the first wave is no laughing matter. So yeah the Covid 19 is serious business. 

Archived