• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saints player says no NFL season .

Jeremy Igo

Yeah, I'm glad that every once in a while someone speaks up to put things back in perspective.

I want there to be sports. I want there to be football. But not matter how much I and a collective, demanding public are clamoring for it, ultimately someone needs to remind us that we are living in unprecedented times. And while a return of major team sports would give us a refreshing sense of long-missing normalcy, it would just be an illusion of normalcy.

The pandemic isn't over. It won't be over this summer. It probably won't be over in the fall. And it probably will be back with a vengeance in Winter. So as much as it will suck, it's just a year of our lives. We've lost a year of a sport before. There have been player strikes. There have been lockouts. Let's not put the players or the fans at risk. Bring football back when it's safe for everyone, and we won't be creating a petri dish for new cases that prolongs the pandemic.

Good for him.

The problem is can stadiums, some owners and businesses that support and make money off of football survive? He may be right but there may not be football to come back to with those losses. Too much invested to take a year off for some teams. 

The 20% of the players who are vets and have made their money won't want to play. 

The 80% of the league that is young and hasn't made a lot of money yet will be more willing to take risks.

You see the same dynamic when it's time to make CBA negotiations.  It works to the owners' advantage.

2 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

Please explain it to me so I will be enlightened.

Okay. You're treating it like a work hazard. It's not like not wearing safety glasses, where if you make a decision, you put yourself at risk. Handling a virus isn't a "personal choice," because it puts other people at risk. Your decision to stay in the workforce isn't just putting you personally at risk. Because if you contract the virus, you can spread it to other people who can spread it to other people, etc. etc.

His "personal decision" to stay home doesn't really help matters, because as long as people are making the "personal decision" to go to work and act as though things are normal, the virus still has an opportunity to find hosts and spread.

And may I remind you, that's still happening. We've got new cases spiking like we haven't seen since April. And that's happening in spite of all the precautions we're supposed to be taking. And in spite of the fact that we've been living with this virus for months, know lots more about it than we did in April, and should be better prepared to stop the spread of the disease. 

image.png.317318660f5d995c74f677bb026765c9.png

^^^You know what that is? That's a poo-ton of "personal decisions" right there. ^^^

So the decision of some people to go back to work is ensuring the virus remains in the population and affects society, including the people who decide to not return to work. I mean, Malcolm can make the decision to not go to work, but he will still be in a society where he's at risk of contracting the virus because other people made the "personal decision" to return to work.  So, what you're suggesting isn't really, "don't go to work." In order for it to be effective, Malcolm would have to completely remove himself from society, which most people cannot do.

What your suggesting is less like work safety goggles, and a lot more more like treating drunk driving is a "personal choice." Yes, it's one person's decision, but it's putting himself and lots of other people at risk. Which is why it's illegal and people should abstain from doing it. The only difference it, if a drunk driver hits someone, they don't also turn into a drunk driver and start driving around drunk and hitting more people.

Archived