• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Onside kick replacement possibility

I feel like even 4th and 15th would still be much easier than onside kick. You’d have so many guys looking for the penalty to convert. Just looks like another way for the refs to cheat us out of the game honestly.

Now 4th and 20, no spot foul for PI but ability to replay the down I could go for. No automatic 1st for roughing the passer either.

The math shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Look at averages of 3rd and 4th down conversions by distance vs. the average recovery of inside kicks before the rule changes the round it off to a number that makes since (i.e. if it works out to 19 yards, make it a 4th and 20) There ya go.

"In fact, NFL teams converted a first down on 21 of 251 plays of third-and-18 or longer this season -- about 8% of the time.

On third-and-18 yards or more this season (2019/20), the Chiefs quarterback has completed 10 of 11 passes for almost 21 yards per attempt. He has five first downs, three touchdowns and a perfect passer rating of 158.3"

8 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

I feel like even 4th and 15th would still be much easier than onside kick. You’d have so many guys looking for the penalty to convert. Just looks like another way for the refs to cheat us out of the game honestly.

Now 4th and 20, no spot foul for PI but ability to replay the down I could go for. No automatic 1st for roughing the passer either.

I hadn't even considered the idea of penalties coming into play.

10 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Yeah, on second thought, this tweek would make it better. Good call!

11 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/fourth-and-15-alternative-draws-attention-of-patrick-mahomes

An interesting idea for an alternative to the onside kick. 4th and 15 play. Only usable twice per game. Frankly a lot safer IMO than an onside kick.

Thoughts?

No way.  It penalizes the team who’s spent all game building a lead by essentially giving the trailing team an extra possession.   

Archived