• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Expect a new Panthers stadium in 2025

Jeremy Igo

53 minutes ago, Devil Doc said:

Why don't they keep the Stadium, and make The CPF lot a giant tailgating/Parking spot. Then, have small light rail to transport people. 

Because BOA can't handle a retractable roof and can't be upgraded with the newest luxury boxes.  Stadium will be 30 years old in 2026. Very old in NFL terms. 

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

I would put it at 2.5 to 3 years for CP to be up and running again, assuming 6 months of preconstruction activities.  I wonder how much of their production they can shift to their other facilities temporarily?

None.  There other facilities are all plactic pipe construction.  The one at the stadium is cast iron. 

5 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Wouldn't CP have to clean up the land before selling if it had hazardous ground? 

That's typically part of the negotiation of the sale.  Tepper will have some people do an assessment, and that will turn into a ballpark cost to mitigate.  Then being the businessman Tepper is, he'll take that number x10 and tell CP that's what it is going to cost to fix the site so they need to reduce the price.  Then the sales contract will include provisions for what happens if more is found in areas of the site that can't be seen or tested.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:43 PM, Squirrel said:

Because BOA can't handle a retractable roof and can't be upgraded with the newest luxury boxes.  Stadium will be 30 years old in 2026. Very old in NFL terms. 

I’ve always found it interesting as an international fan how teams consider stadiums, arenas and ballparks old after such a short period of time and are willing to replace them without wanting to preserve the history and heritage of the place. Teams over here don’t tend to consider the age of the facility, they look at it as a positive and bask in the history of it. Granted some teams move when it’s not possible to expand their existing stadium (eg Arsenal and Tottenham have almost doubled their capacities by moving to new stadiums), but for the most part a lot of teams over here prefer to renovate like Liverpool have done. 

Is it not possible to renovate BOA sufficiently to make it a “modern” NFL facility? Do we need a roof or is that purely so we can look to host a Super Bowl? 

For me, I’d much rather see us stay at BOA and renovate the stadium than discard it and move to a new stadium. Sure the Falcons and Vikings new homes are fancy but they don’t look and feel like football stadiums to me. I much prefer the look and feel of BOA and places like Lambeau and Soldier Field. 

22 minutes ago, Mike2.0 said:

I’ve always found it interesting as an international fan how teams consider stadiums, arenas and ballparks old after such a short period of time and are willing to replace them without wanting to preserve the history and heritage of the place. Teams over here don’t tend to consider the age of the facility, they look at it as a positive and bask in the history of it. Granted some teams move when it’s not possible to expand their existing stadium (eg Arsenal and Tottenham have almost doubled their capacities by moving to new stadiums), but for the most part a lot of teams over here prefer to renovate like Liverpool have done. 

Is it not possible to renovate BOA sufficiently to make it a “modern” NFL facility? Do we need a roof or is that purely so we can look to host a Super Bowl? 

For me, I’d much rather see us stay at BOA and renovate the stadium than discard it and move to a new stadium. Sure the Falcons and Vikings new homes are fancy but they don’t look and feel like football stadiums to me. I much prefer the look and feel of BOA and places like Lambeau and Soldier Field. 

Each team has to decide the direction it wants to go, and what's best for the fans.  In the end a lot of teams go the direction of a new stadium for their own reasons, part of which is ego.  Teams with real history like the Packers, Bears and Chiefs have chosen to keep their old stadiums and simply update.  But make no mistake, updating old stadiums is not cheap and you have to keep doing it over and over.

Can you update an old stadium to be the same as a new stadium?  The simple answer is no.  Stadiums from decades ago were from a different time, a different way of life and a different understanding of the "fan experience."  If all you know are older stadiums internationally, I encourage you to go to a game in Dallas (aka Jerry's World) and see the difference.  No matter how much you try to "update" a 1990 Ferrari it will never be a brand new Bugatti Chiron without completely rebuilding it from scratch.  And while some will appreciate all of the quirks and character that comes with the 1990 Ferrari, its an easier bet for many teams to just push to build the Bugatti and be done with it.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:55 PM, RumHam said:

New stadium might start in five years but i hate to break it to ya, IT AIN'T GONNA BE IN CHARLOTTE. It'll be in SC where they can get land for next to nothing if not nothing.

If he does that, the city of Charlotte has the right (by contract) to foreclose on the current stadium. It’s in the lease agreement. 

He’ll also have to give up that “two states one team” slogan.

The panthers are not beloved enough in either state to survive pissing off the entire state of NC and the team’s closest metro area. 

Remember, The Charlotte knights learned the consequences of cheap land.

8 hours ago, Tbe said:

If he does that, the city of Charlotte has the right (by contract) to foreclose on the current stadium. It’s in the lease agreement. 

He’ll also have to give up that “two states one team” slogan.

The panthers are not beloved enough in either state to survive pissing off the entire state of NC and the team’s closest metro area. 

Remember, The Charlotte knights learned the consequences of cheap land.

I would be shocked if a short move across the border made Panthers fans stop supporting the team.

Archived