• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Stadium news...

2 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

A roof would be in an attempt to get the Super Bowl. Having a roof guarantees you can combat any cold February temps. Enough hotels? That's your problem there.

Greatest location and view in the league? Well that's just crazy talk.

That’s the problem. Not enough hotels or motels. Doesn’t matter how big and nice the stadium is. 

13 minutes ago, MMA said:

That’s the problem. Not enough hotels or motels. Doesn’t matter how big and nice the stadium is. 

In another 10 years when the stadium would be complete hotels room numbers will be a moot point. 

I totally understand wanting a new stadium. Theres just soooo much more you can do with one over the old one. Tepper wants to make the most profit and a new home will do that.  Hate that the good people of the queen will be paying for part of it too. You can not stop new money.  

I really hate how everything in modern society is disposable at this point. There's absolutely nothing wrong with BOA or need for a new stadium. New stadiums are the McMansions of the NFL world. Totally unnecessary but if you don't have one you're not keeping up with the Joneses - keeping up with the Joneses quite literally when we're talking NFL and new stadiums.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I really hate how everything in modern society is disposable at this point. There's absolutely nothing wrong with BOA or need for a new stadium. New stadiums are the McMansions of the NFL world. Totally unnecessary but if you don't have one you're not keeping up with the Joneses - keeping up with the Joneses quite literally when we're talking NFL and new stadiums.

And the ones that truly need renovations aren't given them (Qualcomm/Spanos) so he can force taxpayers to fork money in the pot for a new one. 

I went for an SDSU game last year and holy crap is that place awful.  They still has standard def. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I said for a long time its beyond silly to only play 10 (2 of which are pre-season) games a year in those billion dollar buildings. They should be used for all teams, age groups near by. Just a waste. 

21 hours ago, Happy Panther said:

It is at least that far away. 2 years of negotiating and grab ass and 3 years  of construction if Tepper announced it today.

10 Years is probably a good bet.

Charlotte Pipe has been talking about this for 15 years.  I do contract work at Charlotte Pipe and I will tell you it might be 10 years before the foundry moves.  The new facility has not even begun construction and the price that they got to build the facility back in 2005 has more than doubled.  The Dowd family could do the original price they got to build the facility (100 - 200 million) but the price to build it now might be a little harder to do (over 500 million).  This is a family that has never borrowed money to build any of their cast iron or plastic facilities and they don't want to start now.

Even after Charlotte Pipe moves, none of the buildings are moving and then there is the problem of soil contamination.  I have heard anywhere from the top 1 to 3 feet of soil at the location is contaminated and will have to be removed and tested before you can break ground on anything else there.

All that has to happen before anyone can start building a new stadium.  So there is a good chance that by the time the stadium is finished Tepper is no longer the owner because he is no longer alive.

15 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Multiple revenue streams is the driving force. I don't like it but I understand not leaving money on the table. No idea how the current situation plays out long term on the equation but I would guess pursuit of profit prevails.

Just gonna sneak this in here:

Frank Dowd, Charlotte Pipe and Foundry's CEO, paid for a full page ad in The Charlotte Observer recently in order to publish his open letter regarding China's business practices and culpability for COVID 19. I found it an eye opener and well worth reading. Also, I had an aunt who was a long time employee there, and when she passed away from liver cancer, Mr. Dowd sent our family a handwritten note expressing his condolences and sympathy and saying what an outstanding employee she had been.

Having said that, NOT a fan of a new stadium at taxpayer expense.

Archived