• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All of a sudden the Panthers have two young defensive line first rounders

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

With all the hype the offense is getting, the defense is getting into a spot where they could be much improved this season. I know, not saying much after the defensive performance last year, but the addition of Brown may have the biggest impact possible. I can't help but think Luke would have loved to have played behind him. 

Sure, if you think much improved is a step up from complete garbage. 

The problem with picking 6 is that a whole slew of teams will be trying to trade up ahead of us for “their guy”

so hopefully we get both our guys and have the liberty to choose who instead of being forced into a situation.

Worst case is neither of our “targets” are there. If we were trying to trade back into the first I can’t imagine a player on O theyd be targeting other than the TE position. 

I guess we’ll see tonight though

2 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Too much dead cap to cut KK. I don't think he's part of the future, but 2 more years with a stud like Brown beside him, I'm fine with KK.

Besides, Rhule and Snow are going to dip into their Baylor pool and snag Lynch & Roy anyway.

SMH. We do not save any dead cap space if we keep Short. Dead cap is going to be dead cap regardless if Short is here or not. The only change is do we take the $17M hit this year or spread over 2 years. That $17M is money we paid Short already and haven’t booked. Short’s cap hit this year is $19M, which is $13M in new cap space/salary and $6M of dead cap and then $11M deal cap in 2021.

I don’t think people realize that part of every year’s cap hit is dead cap. Do you want to only have to account for $17M in cap space (all dead) for Short in 2020 and 2021 or $30M in cap space (still $17M dead and $13M new) in 2020 and 2021.

People freak out about dead cap but that dead cap is created as soon as a player signs a new deal and the GM uses bonuses to pay up front and spread the money over the life of the deal. We have dead cap hits every year while players are still on the team as soon as their cap number is more than their salary, usually at the middle through the last year of the deal. 

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

SMH. We do not save any dead cap space if we keep Short. Dead cap is going to be dead cap regardless if Short is here or not. The only change is do we take the $17M hit this year or spread over 2 years. That $17M is money we paid Short already and haven’t booked. Short’s cap hit this year is $19M, which is $13M in new cap space/salary and $6M of dead cap and then $11M deal cap in 2021.

I don’t think people realize that part of every year’s cap hit is dead cap. Do you want to only have to account for $17M in cap space (all dead) for Short in 2020 and 2021 or $30M in cap space (still $17M dead and $13M new) in 2020 and 2021.

People freak out about dead cap but that dead cap is created as soon as a player signs a new deal and the GM uses bonuses to pay up front and spread the money over the life of the deal. We have dead cap hits every year while players are still on the team as soon as their cap number is more than their salary, usually at the middle through the last year of the deal. 

So I guess the question is - is KK worth $13m for 2 years?  I'd say yes all day.

Blacklock is my pick. Building from the interior defensive trenches, if done well, makes your whole team better.

Shut down the run effectively. Pressure from the shortest/quickest distance. Wear out the opponents O-line. Win time of possession. Secondary isn't forced to cover too long. Linebackers are clean. Get shorter fields for your offense. etc, etc

So many dominoes fall in your favor when you disrupt the middle of the opponents offensive front.

This team is copying the 49ers blueprint. They tried to do the same copying the Patriots and James White. That’s why they took CMC. Now, they’re copying SF. Won’t do much good if we don’t have a QB. 

Archived