• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derrick Brown's tackling...

Jeremy Igo

9 hours ago, Snake said:

People bitched about keek and cam. It's just what happens. 

People still bitching about Cam. 

I think that we all get hyped about our favorite players, in this case Simmons for a lot of people, and take it personally when someone else is picked. Some people just like to bitch. Brown could go to 5 pro owls over the next 6 years, and some people will still be saying "yeah, but Simmons was on the board". I like Brown, but I admit that I wanted Cox over Luke in 2012. Turns out I was wrong, but I sure didn't complain about Luke! Then we doubled down the next year with Star and KK and ended up with one of the meanest defenses around. I really think that you almost have to try to fug up when your picking in the top 10.

1 minute ago, shaqattaq said:

I think that we all get hyped about our favorite players, in this case Simmons for a lot of people, and take it personally when someone else is picked. Some people just like to bitch. Brown could go to 5 pro owls over the next 6 years, and some people will still be saying "yeah, but Simmons was on the board". I like Brown, but I admit that I wanted Cox over Luke in 2012. Turns out I was wrong, but I sure didn't complain about Luke! Then we doubled down the next year with Star and KK and ended up with one of the meanest defenses around. I really think that you almost have to try to fug up when your picking in the top 10.

I wanted Luke that Draft, badly. I didn't care for the Cam pick, but not much else we could've gotten. It's a different story from now, when Isiah Simmons is still on the table. 

People that are mad about this pick and keep crying that he is just a run stopper need to understand one thing. He is so powerful he will command double teams which will free up others to generate more pass rush. He is a player.

18 minutes ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

I wanted Luke that Draft, badly. I didn't care for the Cam pick, but not much else we could've gotten. It's a different story from now, when Isiah Simmons is still on the table. 

Panther fans will be comparing those 2 (Brown and Simmons) for years to come. 

27 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Brown could pull a Kony Ealy Superbowl 50 every game of his career and 80% of the fan base would still call him a bust

50 minutes ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

The Panthers liked Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons a lot at No. 7 and he was the best pure athlete on the board, but they felt he was a better fit for a veteran team because of his ability to play so many positions. So they went with Auburn DT Derrick Brown, a run stopper who with Pro Bowler Kawann Short will make this defense a force in the middle from the get-go.

Literally what David Newton tweeted last night. It even seemed like they wanted Simmons more, but they have so many needs they chose Brown because hur dur DT run stop. Hur dur. 

It would have been WAY more exciting to watch Simmons catch the opposing RB from behind 30 yards down field.

I wanted Simmons because he is the epitome of the modern pro player.  But I totally get why we drafted Brown.  The draft value of interior DL is just higher than LB, Safety or Edge, even if one guy can line up at all 3.  If we had the DL even in half ass shape we could have taken the luxury of drafting Simmons but this really is a no-brainer.

45 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Luke is one of the best LBs of all time and still could not do poo against the run because we had zero push. But no, I’m sure you are right. Simmons would have made a much better impact than one of the GOATS in his prime. Cool logic.

I would rather have gotten an LB and go for a DT eventually. I'm exhausted of DT's in the first round that amount to meh or nothing. See the last few times Carolina took DT's in the first round. 

Just now, nctarheelreincarnated said:

I would rather have gotten an LB and go for a DT eventually. I'm exhausted of DT's in the first round that amount to meh or nothing. See the last few times Carolina took DT's in the first round. 

Star turned around one of the worst run defenses in the league pretty much instantaneously. You complain about getting “just a run stopper” get we were gashed you the middle all year. The literally just ended last night. And he’s much more of a bull than Star was. 

Meanwhile Simmons would have been a stat machine on a defense unable to force punts. Hurray

Archived