• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 pick 7: Carolina Panthers select DT Derrick Brown

Jeremy Igo

Ya know, I’ll eat my crow on my previous comment because I really did want Simmons and that versatility all over the field.... but... I did watch the CBS review of our pick and Jones said that Simmons had an awkward conversation at the combine with one of our scouts AND Simmons likes to hit but hated contact. After really thinking and seeing what Brown is gonna add, it does excite me a bit more. At the moment when we’d drafted him , it just felt like getting underwear for Christmas when you could’ve had a gameboy. Come to find out , you really needed the underwear though. I will eat my crow.

4 hours ago, electro's horse said:

star was probably a more finished project coming out, but he wasn't the athlete brown is.

brown is a monster.

get the biggest, strongest, fastest people and trust your coaches

Really intelligent take on the matter.

Too many Huddlers think their time on Madden, or filling out fantasy teams, endow them with the experience in talent evaluation to critique professional coaches, scouts, and GMs.  The limited highlight clips that we as fans see are nothing compared to the wide array of all-22 coverage available to them.

Brown will make this defense better, and, as in every team sport, you build around a strong center.  LSU was by far the best team in college last year, and if they chose to Triple Team him, it was because they feared (even if only on that single play) his disruption.

10 hours ago, PanicPete said:

Yeah it's like they enjoy being garbage. This pick was a shoe in

How many games did we lose last year cause we couldn't pick up a 4th and 1 at the goal line.  I know of 2 and we couldn't push the ball into the end zone when we got to the 5 yard line.  I guess the other team wanted it more than we did.  When do we have another dominant offensive line that can protect our QB's and wear a defense down in the 4th quarter as teams did to ours last year.  We been to this well too many times.  It hasn't worked.  Yall yell 'FIX' the DEFENSE....I guess you except that the QB's last year got hit 102 times and sacked 58 times.  I wonder how TeddyB is going to take that type pressure.

6 minutes ago, cmichd said:

How many games did we lose last year cause we couldn't pick up a 4th and 1 at the goal line.  I know of 2 and we couldn't push the ball into the end zone when we got to the 5 yard line.  I guess the other team wanted it more than we did.  When do we have another dominant offensive line that can protect our QB's and wear a defense down in the 4th quarter as teams did to ours last year.  We been to this well too many times.  It hasn't worked.  Yall yell 'FIX' the DEFENSE....I guess you except that the QB's last year got hit 102 times and sacked 58 times.  I wonder how TeddyB is going to take that type pressure.

how many games did we lose last year because rbs were allowed to run buck wild and do whatever the fug they wanted against us? Also how do you think those teams stopped us on a 4th and 1? By having strong internal dline pressure and breaking up our elite RB before he got any steam going, it goes both ways

Goes both ways. Why be so negative, Brown is going to be an effective player. This team needs effective players whether they are LBS, CBS, WRS, DTS,OTS whatever it is. We are not winning the super bowl next year. Its BUILDING time and we are going to need an effective DT and potentially one of the best in a while was sitting there. So take him and keep BUILDING. There will be other opportunities to add especially next year when the dead weight of the players like Matt Kalil fall off

4 minutes ago, PanicPete said:

how many games did we lose last year because rbs were allowed to run buck wild and do whatever the fug they wanted against us? Also how do you think those teams stopped us on a 4th and 1? By having strong internal dline pressure and breaking up our elite RB before he got any steam going, it goes both ways

Goes both ways. Why be so negative, Brown is going to be an effective player. This team needs effective players whether they are LBS, CBS, WRS, DTS,OTS whatever it is. We are not winning the super bowl next year. Its BUILDING time and we are going to need an effective DT and potentially one of the best in a while was sitting there. So take him and keep BUILDING. There will be other opportunities to add especially next year when the dead weight of the players like Matt Kalil fall off

Cause our offensive line was our weakest link for the past 3 years.  We were good between the 20's but when it came to pushing the ball across the line we sucked and please don't tell me adding a 30+ beat up old man at LT is going to be the game changer.  I understand his contract was better to get rid of next year still we need line help.  So we got better guards in FA....GREAT! but that doesn't help the tackle situation for next year.   We could have gotten a CB which we need just as bad and please don't tell me D Jackson is an elite CB and needs to be starting.   There were good DT's down the line that could have help fix our line play just as well as Brown.  

Only time will tell if this was the best pick ( Simmons or Brown ) .  I had both on the board and both had a position of need for us .  I can't complain about the pick .  I think DT was the weakest draft class over the two players so we took the best at the DT position .  We can get a LB or Safety later .   It was a good draft pic to start .

2 minutes ago, cmichd said:

Cause our offensive line was our weakest link for the past 3 years.  We were good between the 20's but when it came to pushing the ball across the line we sucked and please don't tell me adding a 30+ beat up old man at LT is going to be the game changer.  I understand his contract was better to get rid of next year still we need line help.  So we got better guards in FA....GREAT! but that doesn't help the tackle situation for next year.   We could have gotten a CB which we need just as bad and please don't tell me D Jackson is an elite CB and needs to be starting.   There were good DT's down the line that could have help fix our line play just as well as Brown.  

Hell no, Jackson isn't a top guy. I hear you and I would not have complained in Henderson was the pick and DT was in the 2nd but to me Brown really could be something special at the position. And our o-line will need to be rebuilt just like dline was. My thinking there is this is a punt year for OL while we see if there happens to be anything there in Little/Moton again. we picked up a band aid in Okung and we are giving Little a shot to stay healthy and see where he fits. If it doesn't work out then yeah its on the need board if it does then were looking ok there. 

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The offensive line was in no way the weakest link last year. The run defense was historically bad. Give up way too many rushing yards to pretty much everyone down the stretch. The OL doesn’t have a part in that. 

You are splitting hairs.  They both were dog poo

Archived