• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 pick 7: Carolina Panthers select DT Derrick Brown

Jeremy Igo

Brown was 100% the right pick. The guy(s) who converted Davis and Shaq from S to LB are long gone and having a good DT opens up the field for literally every other position. Brown wasn’t the sexy pick but definitely the best and smartest one we could make now here’s hoping we avoid Jordan Love like the plague 

1 hour ago, MMA said:

Ravens won bc of Flacco. Patriots won bc of Brady. Don’t play that bull$hit with me

Ravens had a special teams TD and a late 4th quarter 4 down goalline stand by the defense in a game they won by 3 points. Flacco had help.

First Super Bowl Brady played, he threw 1 TD pass in 3 postseason games, his defense held the opponents to 13, 17 & 17 points. Brady had help too.

36 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

No sales job. Just my humble opinion which more times than not is spot on in the draft. The last player I said was the best defensive player in the draft was Luke Kueckly who some on here said was overblown at the time. 

I was upset we picked him too not because I thought he was bad but we already had LB's...that one turned out for the best.  Butler was what got me going against DT's as 1st rounders.  Unless it is a weak class you can pick up good DT's between the 2nd and 4rd round.  Rather seen a Cb picked since we lost Bradberry.  

Just think, the best part of this pick is that IF he produces (big IF with the bust rate of first round DTs) we have to either give him a KK size of the cap space for a contract, or we let them walk like Star and Butler.

Totally a team building piece for the future of the franchise.

This is why great teams sign mid tier DTs in free agency, and don't fug with drafting them in the first.

2 hours ago, Eric4280 said:

It’s terrible because it’s boring and Simmons would’ve been a fun pick because he’s fun. I’m as pissed as the rest but he may be decent. We’re stuck with it so let’s just deal with it.

I'm assuming you are fairly new to Panthers football, so I'll help you understand. Luke's rookie season, he was awesome. However, our defense was horrible because he was having to play behind two really bad rookies. The very next year, we drafted two stud DTs in the first and second rounds, and the next year, our defense was stout and we made the playoffs.

More recent history: we let Star walk and our defense has been pedestrian ever since. 

Summary = A strong interior DL makes the entire defense better. Line backers are great, but if the DL sucks, they are rendered ineffective. Same with DBs.

39 minutes ago, SmartyHurney said:

Just think, the best part of this pick is that IF he produces (big IF with the bust rate of first round DTs) we have to either give him a KK size of the cap space for a contract, or we let them walk like Star and Butler.

Totally a team building piece for the future of the franchise.

This is why great teams sign mid tier DTs in free agency, and don't fug with drafting them in the first.

Like who??

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

New Panthers DT Derrick Brown regarding his nickname "Baby Barrack" said he got it when he was the vice president of the student-athlete advisory committee at Auburn.He is from a military family and is said to have political aspirations, so the nickname is a good one.

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

One reason the Panthers liked DT Derrick Brown is he makes those around him on the defense better by eating up blocks. Asked how often he was double teamed last year, he said at the NFL Combine: "About every snap. Pass, run, it was a double-team frenzy when it came time to play against us. And that was my job, that's what I was supposed to be doing in the defense, be able to help other guys be better. So that's what I did, tried to do my job to the highest level that I could.''

Archived