• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 pick 7: Carolina Panthers select DT Derrick Brown

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, beo said:

a DT also only plays 60% of the snaps. shaq/simmons couldve been an absolutely disgusting versatile duo, with the ability to cover nearly any TE and we couldve easily picked up a DT in the 2nd round.

But they still have more value and get paid more then 4-3 Olb.. I'm sorry a great LB duo isn't poo when you can't stop the run, or keep a OG from smashing them ... Just like there are other DT later in the draft.. There are other LB as well.. Who can cover TE .... Simmons is a great player.. But I will always build from the trenches 1st with a great DT...

4 minutes ago, cmichd said:

Can I not like a pick.  To me it was a wasted pick.  He isn't as good as you make him to be and Superman he is not.  When he played Clemson in 2019 what did he do agains the best ACC team.  The same thing he did against Georgia.  Nothing and he wasn't triple teamed. Actually I did see a few double teams but they mainly blocked him one on one....3 tackles for the game and a sack....WOW what stats for the Man as you describe him.  No he is not God walking on Football water and he will be gone in 5 years.  

He played Clemson in 2017 when he was a sophomore. He had 3 tackles 2 for a loss and a sack. Clemson was held to 14 points, but still won. Against UGA he had 6 tackles (pretty good for a DT) a PD with a tackle for a loss. UGA has a NFL offensive line and he still got 6 tackles and a PD. These are very good stats for a DT. You aren’t going to get many multiple sack games from a DT, I mean they are right in front of the QB’s face. 

My initial thought was "Dammit take Simmons and find a DT in the 2nd or 3rd." But you never know who will be available at those picks. At least here you know fit matches BPA. We could have ended up waiting till our next pick and then passing over the definitive BPA to reach for the next best DT. I'm coming around to it.

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

But they still have more value and get paid more then 4-3 Olb.. I'm sorry a great LB duo isn't poo when you can't stop the run, or keep a OG from smashing them ... Just like there are other DT later in the draft.. There are other LB as well.. Who can cover TE .... Simmons is a great player.. But I will always build from the trenches 1st with a great DT...

but there are no other LBs quite like simmons. i'd argue there's never been a prospect quite like simmons. no other LB in this draft has the skill, athleticism, and versatility of simmons. the man could play safety. the same applies for brown too, sure (though i believe it to be to a lesser extent in terms of versatility and athleticism) that's why im not nessicarily mad over the pick, i simply wanted the player with the higher ceiling. there are valid concerns with simmons, he's more boom or bust. i get that. i simply don't want someone who plays 60% of the defensive snaps with our 7th pick when we could find a cheaper option in free agency, or in a later draft, to play the role of run stuffing NT for us. hell, we could've gotten mike pierce this past off season to play NT for us. 

1 minute ago, Peon Awesome said:

My initial thought was "Dammit take Simmons and find a DT in the 2nd or 3rd." But you never know who will be available at those picks. At least here you know fit matches BPA. We could have ended up waiting till our next pick and then passing over the definitive BPA to reach for the next best DT. I'm coming around to it.

i agree, it's grown on me with time as well. still not absolutely thrilled, but there's positives to it. our DL could be nasty in a season or two.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

A DT is a linebacker’s best friend. Luke thrived when we had Star eating up blockers. When Star left you could see a difference in Luke’s game. He was trying to shed blockers to make tackles.

This pick wasn't just about Derrick Brown. This pick was about Shaq. It was about KK. It was about Burns. Derrick Brown is going to help make everyone better on D.

1 minute ago, beo said:

but there are no other LBs quite like simmons. i'd argue there's never been a prospect quite like simmons. no other LB in this draft has the skill, athleticism, and versatility of simmons. the man could play safety. the same applies for brown too, sure (though i believe it to be to a lesser extent in terms of versatility and athleticism) that's why im not nessicarily mad over the pick, i simply wanted the player with the higher ceiling. there are valid concerns with simmons, he's more boom or bust. i get that. i simply don't want someone who plays 60% of the defensive snaps with our 7th pick when we could find a cheaper option in free agency, or in a later draft, to play the role of run stuffing NT for us. hell, we could've gotten mike pierce this past off season to play NT for us. 

Again a higher ceiling at a position with lower value means what???  Especially again when you're playing a 4-3..  

Example 

A generational RB is great thing to have but I'd still take a LT of similar or lower ranking because LT has more value...

You win from the trenches..

11 minutes ago, SmartyHurney said:

Another perspective on the pick:

"You can find quality defensive tackles in free agency every year, every year" "the reason is they cost too much for their production, so teams let them walk"

Try finding a position like linebacker in free agency, rare unless traded for.

Simmons will become a great player in time. But Brown will end up being best for us. We can find 3 linebackers for our team but tell me what free agent DT we can get for 5 million a year with Brown's size and speed.  Or what DT is as good as Brown further down the draft.

1 hour ago, SmartyHurney said:

A space eater that has one pass rushing move, strength, and nothing else.

Some of you idiots continue to show that you’ve never watched a single full game the kid has ever played and just basing your opinion on a couple of twitter videos.

Archived