• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Derrick Brown, right?

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

The Giants aren’t taking Brown. They’re stocked at DT. Took Dexter Lawrence in the 1st last year, put the franchise tag on Williams and have Hill and Tomlinson as backups (recent 2nd/3rd rounders).

It’s not like Gettleman hasn’t drafted CBs and LBs in the first two rounds. They have a way bigger need at CB, LB and even OT. I just don’t get why people think they’ll take Brown.

Purely because G-man has a thing about athletic hog-mollies.  Two, if Brown is BPA on their board when they pick do they skip him to take an OT they have graded lower?  I doubt the Giants take Brown, BUT I won't feel any easier until they actually draft someone else.  Remember, he drafted Bulter when we already had Star and KK.

37 minutes ago, cmichd said:

Got to go with you this one...there are just as good....not better...but good DT's that can team with KK and give us a good run stopping line and also decent pass rushers up the middle.  They think you need a "SUPERSTAR!"  Tell how many Superbowls Ndamukong Suh won?

Some great DTs outside of the first. KK used to be one of them. 

The answer is none on Suh. And he still needed good players around him to really show his all. Brown should be that good but I just think we can pick up 2 DTs later in the draft and be great while focusing somewhere more premium with the 7th. I haven't seen anybody comparing Brown to Donald but to Suh and that's interesting. Hell if he was a Wilfork clone I would be down. Suh? Overpriced and overhyped when compared to Donald. 

Just now, 45catfan said:

Purely because G-man has a thing about athletic hog-mollies.  Two, if Brown is BPA on their board when they pick do they skip him to take an OT they have graded lower?  I doubt the Giants take Brown, BUT I won't feel any easier until they actually draft someone else.  Remember, he drafted Bulter when we already had Star and KK.

He also took 3 CBs that same draft with Butler. Butler was a bad pick (or a coaching issue since he appeared to have some talent last year), but was unfortunately insurance for Star/Short. Star did leave but Short re-signed. Short and Star were obvious picks kind of like Brown for us this year. Our DTs were abysmal then just like they are right now.

Gettleman’s drafted a lot of things, but anyone saying Brown makes sense for the Giants isn’t looking at their needs. Okudah and Simmons fit BPA and need for them.

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You keep saying that and ignore drafting Shaq, Moton, Bradberry and others. DT makes no sense for the Giants. 

Shaq was the only one of those guys you mentioned that was a 1st rounder and he was the 25th overall pick. Moton and Bradberry were 2nd rounders. He's holding the #4 overall pick this year.

DT made no sense for the Panthers when he drafted Butler in the 1st too, despite us having holes all over the roster. And I don't buy the backfilling for Short excuse either. Short was extended shortly after the draft. You can't tell me we weren't well into those negotiations already on draft day.

39 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Brown is the worst outcome and its not a bad one, My point is he is as bad as it can get for us meaning even hurney can't screw this up. I wouldn't want to spend a 7 on a Nose tackle because thats gonna be where he does most of his work and i feel we can get a plug later.. Earlier I would like to grab the generational talent like simmons or a shut down cb. 

See this is where its ticky tacky

Brown is a Generational player, best NT to come out since Suh.  Every SEC OL said he's the brst DL theyve faced, including Quennen Williams 

Simmons wasn't even better than the top 2 LBs last year.  He is just a freak with ability.  Oneof the most Gifted players to come out.  But no where the generational player, he was good not grwat in college.

god i'd do just about anything to get a shaq-simmons LB duo, snow and rhule would have a field day with that. as it stands though, i just dont see how gman takes brown. they have leonard williams, dalvin tomlinson, dexter lawrence, and bj hill, who are all starting caliber players and are all young. the only way i really see us getting simmons is if gman reaches on an offensive tackle, which is possible given how bad the tackles are (god they have mike remmers starting, and solder at LT), or if his stiffy for hog mollies is far greater than we couldve ever imagined.

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

This. That's all I'm saying.

stbugs just loves getting his panties all up in a wad and then using horrific examples to support his opinions if someone doesn't 100% agree with his prophetic words. LOL!

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Shaq was the only one of those guys you mentioned that was a 1st rounder and he was the 25th overall pick. Moton and Bradberry were 2nd rounders. He's holding the #4 overall pick this year.

DT made no sense for the Panthers when he drafted Butler in the 1st too, despite us having holes all over the roster. And I don't buy the backfilling for Short excuse either. Short was extended shortly after the draft. You can't tell me we weren't well into those negotiations already on draft day.

Wait, you talk about Shaq not making sense as an example at pick 25 and then you say Butler at 30 is a good example? Can’t have it both ways.

Also, Butler at 30 made way more sense than Brown for the Giants. Star didn’t resign and Short hadn’t signed an extension. Lawrence has 4 years left for the Giants. They’ve said they want to sign Williams to a long term deal. 2 more day 2 picks as backup DTs with several years left. The two situations are completely not comparable. The Giants have no need at DT. We were looking like we could need a DT as soon as the next year and maybe 2 in 2 years.

Okudah can stop one player on offense. He looks to be a stud CD, don’t get me wrong, but he can shut down one player. If Brown turns out to be what people are projecting he can change the whole strategy of the opposing team. Stopping the run and getting pressure is hard to find in a DT. KK, Burns and Weatherly will all avoid double teams if the offense has to focus on Brown. His pass rushing skills will help out secondary and holding his point of attack will free up our linebackers. He helps all layers of the defense and helps prevent teams from running down the clock on us. Seems like an easy choice if he is there...

The board:

1. Okudah'

2. Simmons

3.  A QB???

4. Trade back

5. Brown

If Herbert or Tua is there, do you take the QB?  Remember, we are not building for next year---we are building for the next decade.

If Simmons and Okudah are gone and there are no QBs on the board you like (assuming you like any of them), then I am guessing we trade or take Brown.

Since some have Kinkade higher, if we are OK with either, we get our guy. 

I just can't get the "multiple positions" out of my head, and I can't help but wonder if "multiple techniques" is not also applicable.

28 minutes ago, CaliPanthers said:

Derrick Brown is my pick. 

I was watching the new All or Nothing on amazon where they followed the Eagles last year and saw how much of an impact Fletcher Cox has on that defense. He just finished his 8th year and played almost every game. 

Derrick Brown is a monster but he is also pretty mature when I saw interviews. He loves football. He has a baby girl and family already. He is the building block we need on our defense. 

Fug. There's certain people on this planet that when you find yourself agreeing with them, it forces you to immediately question your previously held opinion and reevaluate.

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

See this is where its ticky tacky

Brown is a Generational player, best NT to come out since Suh.  Every SEC OL said he's the brst DL theyve faced, including Quennen Williams 

Simmons wasn't even better than the top 2 LBs last year.  He is just a freak with ability.  Oneof the most Gifted players to come out.  But no where the generational player, he was good not grwat in college.

what? simmons was amazing this year in college and lead a top 3 defense to the national championship. 100 tackles,  8 sacks and 3 picks along with 16.5 TFL and 8 PDs,  and the film looks even better than those numbers show.

Archived