• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Derrick Brown, right?

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

No I get what you're saying, but there's at ten-rep difference between them on the bench press and you can't explain that away by saying it wasn't at the combine. Brown just didn't put up elite testing numbers. 

Look, we're going round and round on this like you think I said that Brown's not a good prospect. I don't think that--he has some great film and I think he's going to be good at what he does. But there were two reps in the Bama game that show what I'm talking about. In the first, Brown shows a nice spin move. In the second, great change of direction and rip. He gets to the quarterback both times. And both times, the ball comes out and Alabama scores a touchdown. Two really beautiful reps from Brown, two scores for the other team. This was the Iron Bowl. Alabama and Auburn. Multiple defensive first round picks on both teams. Final score: 48-45. This "passing stuff" isn't going away. It's how football works now, and you don't get a lot of cracks at top ten picks. A big gap-hogging defensive tackle's not worth one of them right now.

Rep 1: 

Rep 2: 

Again the same way I can explain that a WR is a 4.7 guy at the combine and a 4.47 guy at his pro day.. Both are underwear Olympics and not real football.. I use  the combine and pro day numbers to either confirm or make me go back to the game snap videos... Not as the end all to be all..

And let's agree to disagree about the game tape thing.. Its clear we're seeing 2 different things..

1 important thing you seem to missed from your tape breakdown  is..

The fact that Auburn has 2 other early round rated players on that Dline... And teams "consistently" game planned to double and triple team Brown and single block those guys.... That says alot in that conference...

12 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Brown splits a double team to apply as quick a pressure as he would have if there were no OL on the field. With a spin move people on here claim he doesn’t possess. And this is a knock against him? This is a sad reach for something not there. 

And he didn't get to the quarterback in time because he's not an elite athlete. And Bama scored a touchdown. Again, I think he's good, but not good enough to make the impact that you'd want from a top ten pick. That play is a perfect illustration of why.

3 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

And he didn't get to the quarterback in time because he's not an elite athlete. And Bama scored a touchdown. Again, I think he's good, but not good enough to make the impact that you'd want from a top ten pick. That play is a perfect illustration of why.

It's why football is the ultimate team sport. You can do your job as a pass rusher and it still doesn't matter if there's a receiver wide ass open immediately. Brown got there fast.

20 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

The only thing you are illustrating is little you know about football. DT splits TWO future first rounders, about as fast as possible, yet because the QB throws a pass in less than 2 seconds because of his pressure, he is an inferior prospect? This might be the dumbest argument on Brown yet. 

I’f say, Simmons mans up a WR for 5 seconds, but the other team scores a TD throwing to the other side of the field, is that a mark against Simmons? Is that what we are doing here? 

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

You really have to watch the film and not just read stats for several positions. That’s like saying Okudah didn’t have many interceptions this year, so he shouldn’t be the top CB. No, teams just avoided him because they knew how good his was. 
Brown had 6 tackles (1 for a loss) and a PD against UGA while getting double teamed by arguably the best offensive line in college. He was able to get steady pressure on Fromm, who is a smart QB and would throw the ball away. Fromm was under 50% that game. Auburn’s offense lost that game. They were shut out until the 4th and still had a chance to tie it (thanks to the defense, anchored by Brown, getting critical stops). He shows up every game, you just want always be able to tell by the stats because he is a DT who offenses game planned around.

I watched films of Brown.  Still a "Great" DT will have more than 2 or 3 tackles a game even against lower level D1 teams when doubled team.  I am sorry even missing 2 games he only had 40 confirmed tackes.  He only had 5 tackes in 2 games 2 tackles and 5 assist in one.  You are telling me a team would pay ridiculous money for a 40 tackle and 7 sack a year guy.  You know in the NFL if you don't rush the QB you don't play on 3rd down.  I guess playing against the NCAA National Football champs was too much for him.  He wasn't double teamed or triple team the whole game.  If he can't handle tier one college level players what is he going to do against NFL talent?

9 minutes ago, cmichd said:

I watched films of Brown.  Still a "Great" DT will have more than 2 or 3 tackles a game even against lower level D1 teams when doubled team.  I am sorry even missing 2 games he only had 40 confirmed tackes.  He only had 5 tackes in 2 games 2 tackles and 5 assist in one.  You are telling me a team would pay ridiculous money for a 40 tackle and 7 sack a year guy.  You know in the NFL if you don't rush the QB you don't play on 3rd down.  I guess playing against the NCAA National Football champs was too much for him.  He wasn't double teamed or triple team the whole game.  If he can't handle tier one college level players what is he going to do against NFL talent?

Did you?? Or did you read a walterfootball breakdown then started spewing stats with no context ..hmmmm

Suh had 41 tackles and 2.5 sacks last year..

McCoy had 37 and 5.5 sacks

Both got signed quickly in FA

So yea I guess ppl are still paying for that..

9 minutes ago, cmichd said:

You are telling me a team would pay ridiculous money for a 40 tackle and 7 sack a year guy.  

Yes, absolutely if he's doing that while also eating up multiple blockers on virtually every play. That was Kris Jenkins. His best season he had 44 tackles and 7 sacks. If I knew we were getting Kris Jenkins v. 2.0 who was actually motivated to keep himself south of four bills, yes I'd draft that guy at #7 all day long. No question.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yes, absolutely if he's doing that while also eating up multiple blockers on virtually every play. That was Kris Jenkins. His best season he had 44 tackles and 7 sacks. If I knew we were getting Kris Jenkins v. 2.0 who was actually motivated to keep himself south of four bills, yes I'd draft that guy at #7 all day long. No question.

Aaron Donald  was 48 tackles and 12.5 sacks..

So you're saying I can get 8 less tackles and 5.5 less sacks then the best defensive player in the league...

Hmmmm Yeah sign me up for that.  Lol

27 minutes ago, cmichd said:

You stated he had 3 tackles against UGA, which wouldn’t be considered lower level competition. He actually had 6 with a PD and multiple hurries. The QB hurries are absolutely something you pay money for. They usually equal a throw away or INT. Donald had 47 tackles last year and 12.5 sacks in 16 games vs Brown’s 10 games and Donald is considered the best. Teams have to game plan around him. You run away from where he is on the line and you throw quick passes to avoid sacks. When these D1 players are playing lesser competition they get pulled to avoid injuries. These are all things you have to consider. Right now teams can run right up the middle on us, control the clock and win the game. A player like Brown helps prevent that. I know it’s not a super “sexy” pick, but it is a huge need and will help our defense on all levels.

44 minutes ago, Toomers said:

The only thing you are illustrating is little you know about football. DT splits TWO future first rounders, about as fast as possible, yet because the QB throws a pass in less than 2 seconds because of his pressure, he is an inferior prospect? This might be the dumbest argument on Brown yet. 

I’f say, Simmons mans up a WR for 5 seconds, but the other team scores a TD throwing to the other side of the field, is that a mark against Simmons? Is that what we are doing here? 

A+ straw man building.

If the testing numbers say he's a step slow, AND on his best reps he's a step slow, AND football as a sport is trending towards quarterbacks who get the ball out too fast for him, that's a problem. It doesn't make him a bad player or a bad pick, but it does put a cap on his upside. This is the CMC/Kuechly range of the draft. Why take a player that the league's moving away from?

Just now, ForJimmy said:

You stated he had 3 tackles against UGA, which wouldn’t be considered lower level competition. He actually had 6 with a PD and multiple hurries. The QB hurries are absolutely something you pay money for. They usually equal a throw away or INT. Donald had 47 tackles last year and 12.5 sacks in 16 games vs Brown’s 10 games and Donald is considered the best. Teams have to game plan around him. You run away from where he is on the line and you throw quick passes to avoid sacks. When these D1 players are playing lesser competition they get pulled to avoid injuries. These are all things you have to consider. Right now teams can run right up the middle on us, control the clock and win the game. A player like Brown helps prevent that. I know it’s not a super “sexy” pick, but it is a huge need and will help our defense on all levels.

UGA probably had the best overall OL in college football this year too. Their LT is probably a 1st round draft pick. Their RT probably goes in the 2nd and both of their guards will be drafted as well. Their center isn't draft eligible this year, but he might be the #1 center in next year's draft.

1 minute ago, theinstrumental said:

A+ straw man building.

If the testing numbers say he's a step slow, AND on his best reps he's a step slow, AND football as a sport is trending towards quarterbacks who get the ball out too fast for him, that's a problem. It doesn't make him a bad player or a bad pick, but it does put a cap on his upside. This is the CMC/Kuechly range of the draft. Why take a player that the league's moving away from?

A+ strawman factory is exactly what this post is... 

You've literally taken the meaning of "team" out of the ultimate team sport.   Lol

Archived