• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The PI review is no more

exactlyzack

I was watching some random game that may have signaled the beginning of the end for it.  There was a DPI called, reviewed, and reversed because the pass was not in the air when the infraction occurred.  The problem was that if it was not DPI, and it was very questionable whether the ball was in the air or not when things happened, it absolutely was defensive holding.  Bigger problem: they could not call defensive holding based on the review, they could only rule it was not DPI.

At that point you have to ask how far down this rat hole you want to go. 

This may not be popular, but they should consider adding another official behind the defensive backfield.  The last time they added an official back there (the side judge), almost everybody was running a pro-set with two WRs and a single TE.  Maybe a back would slide out of the backfield.  Now three WR sets with a tight end are the norm, and you have three officials watching four receivers make their way downfield.  And that does not count the empty backfield plays where there are five receivers for three officials, with whatever help they can get from the LJ and DJ.  Then they moved the umpire to a position where he is of no help at all.  Move the back judge from the center of the field a few feet to the side, to the hash mark on one side, put another official on the opposite hash mark, and you have the side judge and field judge at the sidelines back there.  Then see what happens, because it can't be any worse then screwing around trying to figure out what is legitimate fodder for instant replay and always running into that case that you can see on review but not do anything about. 

4 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

You look like a man who can appreciate a fine Cabernet...

image.thumb.jpeg.d94711f33a39f92496e518250ce4d3da.jpeg

:tongue:

D*#n you, Iron Saint.  That is a pretty good wine in that picture.  It is barely 9am here, and you have me wanting a drink.  Although, since I am working, that was just a matter of time, I guess.

7 hours ago, jfra78 said:

@Iron Saint

How saints fans see themselves

images.jpeg.1274913746d22730ae209feed8b3567c.jpeg

How the rest of us see themgiphy.gif.accc0a44d2e4403896f600868041d596.gif

Man, I wouldn’t be casting stones from either of the Carolinas. Y’all are considered just as big of a “hick” state as we are. LOLOL.

4 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

D*#n you, Iron Saint.  That is a pretty good wine in that picture.  It is barely 9am here, and you have me wanting a drink.  Although, since I am working, that was just a matter of time, I guess.

Hahaha, apologies, my good man. It’s 5 o’clock somewhere though, right? 

1 minute ago, Iron Saint said:

Hahaha, apologies, my good man. It’s 5 o’clock somewhere though, right? 

It is now 2:15 here, and having done the work of three men today (Moe, Larry, and Curley), the day is almost done.  Then it is me, the grill, and a beverage of my choice. 

And tomorrow is the wife's birthday.  I just checked and we have three bottles of Jordan Cabs in the collection. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

It is now 2:15 here, and having done the work of three men today (Moe, Larry, and Curley), the day is almost done.  Then it is me, the grill, and a beverage of my choice. 

And tomorrow is the wife's birthday.  I just checked and we have three bottles of Jordan Cabs in the collection. 

Aye! Sounds like a relaxing evening ahead! 

Two new rules were proposed at the owners meetings as we know the PI review is now dead.

The committee did endorse two rule proposals:

• A rule that would prevent teams from manipulating the game clock by committing multiple dead-ball fouls while the clock is running. The New England Patriots and Tennessee Titans were among the teams that used the tactic out of punt formations to drain time from the clock while protecting a lead.

• Expanding defenseless player protection to kickoff and punt returners who have possession but haven't had time to ward off impending contact.

Go figure one rule was to keep the Pats from cheating. :thinking:

Full article:

New Rules

14 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

That defenseless player rule on punt/kick-off returns is stupid. They already have a rule for that, it’s called a “fair catch”.

You don’t want the **** knocked out of you right after catching the ball? Better wave that arm over your head.

Agree. I wonder if the league is trying to create more exciting returns or if they truly concerned about player safety.  In reality the returner will just use this to his advantage.

5 hours ago, jfra78 said:

Agree. I wonder if the league is trying to create more exciting returns or if they truly concerned about player safety.  In reality the returner will just use this to his advantage.

Ayeee! We agree on something! See, I knew you weren't a bad guy.

But yeah, I think it's all about trying to generate more exciting returns considering you don't see punt returners getting demolished as much as you used to. There really isn't anyway to make punt returns more safe like they did kickoffs. On kickoffs you have the majority of both teams running nearly full speed at at each other, with punts they both have to run in the same direction nearly the same distance and then one turns and starts blocking so by the time the colliding starts, they aren't nearly as juiced.

Archived