• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers *ARE NOT* tanking

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Rhule is not interested in winning under 5 games this season. He is not interested in dragging this team down to the worst in the league to draft any single player. 

Instead, he is looking to build a culture of hard work and accountability in the building. The hope is that will benefit the team as a whole much more than any single player would. That would be nearly impossible to create if he allowed a 1-2 win season. The goal is a season with a handful of wins, some close losses, and a hell of a lot of hustle. 

I'm good with that. 

Sign me up

I bleed black and blue no matter what. You won't find a bigger Cam Newton than me, and even tho I don't post as often on the main board as I did back then, anyone he remembers the battles I had with the like of The Real Deal and others would know that. 

But Im a PANTHERS fan. I ride and die with this organization. I am gonna trust the process and support this team, regardless of what I think about releasing Cam Newton. 

I wish Cam nothing but success, however when he plays the Panthers he will be enemy #1 for that game. You won't catch me being gleeful if he torches us. 

I encourage others to feel the same way. 

Even when you lose an amazing star like Cam you gotta Keep Pounding. Already excited to see what's next as we venture into the unknown. 

4 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

To everyone saying the defense will be bad, you're correct.  They will be.  

Guess what?  They were really, really, really bad last year too.

At least the offense looks like it'll improve.

Our line is still garbage and we lost our te.   Plus CMac is due for an injury.  This is a 4 win team.  

3 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

To everyone saying the defense will be bad, you're correct.  They will be.  

Guess what?  They were really, really, really bad last year too.

At least the offense looks like it'll improve.

I don’t think people realize how much the offense needs to improve. In 2015, we had the most takeaways by far and that helped our team be #1 in scoring offense with 500 points. Our D last year gave up 470. Our 2015 #1 scoring offense would have netted us a .500 record last year especially since we weren’t close to #1 in takeaways. Looking at the roster one could easily say our D will be worse. Only the Ravens outscored our D last year. KC’s offense would’ve have put them at 7-9, same points differential as the Falcons and Bears. Our 2019 D basically turned the SB champs into the 2019 Falcons or Bears.

Just now, stbugs said:

I don’t think people realize how much the offense needs to improve. In 2015, we had the most takeaways by far and that helped our team be #1 in scoring offense with 500 points. Our D last year gave up 470. Our 2015 #1 scoring offense would have netted us a .500 record last year especially since we weren’t close to #1 in takeaways. Looking at the roster one could easily say our D will be worse. Only the Ravens outscored our D last year. KC’s offense would’ve have put them at 7-9, same points differential as the Falcons and Bears. Our 2019 D basically turned the SB champs into the 2019 Falcons or Bears.

Right now our defensive roster is utterly depleted. We seem to be making moves to help our big money OC which is smart, but at the same time we can't even come close to fielding a defense right now.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Right now our defensive roster is utterly depleted. We seem to be making moves to help our big money OC which is smart, but at the same time we can't even come close to fielding a defense right now.

It’s laughable how some people think that improving the offense will overcome the D. Our 2019 D makes the SB champs mediocre. It makes our 15-1 team mediocre as well.

Our D talent just got shredded and the D was legitimately awful. Just like our OL. Our OL and D were comparable only to Miami and they got rid of Pouncey, Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. We signed Irvin, McCoy and Paradis. We just jettisoned Luke, Bradberry, Addison, McCoy, Poe, Butler, Irvin, Reid and Cockrell. I understand how they contributed to the issues but damn it could get ugly. Giving up 30-35 points per game could easily be normal with a 50 banger here and there.

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Lol. Well, at this point I think the pessimism is largely cultured after only have 7 winning seasons since 1995, never having had back to back winning seasons  and losing two Super Bowls. 

Plus the "new owner" smell wore off quickly after last season's failures. And Marty Hurney is still here. There are lots of reasons to be pessimistic, TBQH. 

I wish I could be more positive about the future, I really do. It would be a lot less stressful. I just don't view all this uncertainty with a sense of positivity. 

So then I guess all the complaints about Rivera were empty and meaningless if literally nothing has changed on here since his firing. Talking about the Panthers’ history is not very relevant when dealing with a brand new owner and coaching staff. Last year was a grace period while Tepper searched for the people he wanted to put in place to run his team, so this year is when his evaluation truly begins IMO as to whether he knows what he’s doing.

I get that Hurney is a fun boogeyman who’s good for some laughs and pies, but his role is so incredibly overstated on here...if it isn’t obvious by now that he’s merely a figurehead who is advancing Rhule’s agenda, then I don’t think anyone will be convinced. Unless it’s just a coincidence that we’re all of a sudden signing these players with Baylor ties or the QB Joe Brady worked so closely with.

I get that people are scarred from their years of trauma as Panthers fans, but this is as close to a blank slate as a franchise gets. Talking about losing Super Bowls years ago and not winning back-to-back seasons seems a bit out of touch with the present state of affairs.

47 minutes ago, Rastlet said:

Why is everyone sold on Joe Brady? 

I can answer that.

image.png.040fb5f9fad6e8d5484fdb9228aca167.png

These are Joe Burrow's college stats.  He started 13 games for LSU the year before Joe Brady arrived (2018), and he was a middling college QB.  Enter Joe Brady, and he has the greatest season in the history of college QB's.  Every stat went up.

Not only did his completion percentage go up, but at the same time his yards per attempt and air yards per attempt went up.  He completed more passes, and attempted longer passes.  He threw FOUR TIMES as many touchdowns as compared to the prior year.  He threw TEN TIMES more TD's than INT's.

The offensive skill players were largely the same.  Feel free to go check it out.  The only difference was Joe Brady came in and revolutionized that offense.

Maybe what he did won't translate to the NFL.  Man, it's totally possible.  However, the reason people are excited is because in a small sample size, Joe Brady absolutely produced.

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

I can answer that.

image.png.040fb5f9fad6e8d5484fdb9228aca167.png

These are Joe Burrow's college stats.  He started 13 games for LSU the year before Joe Brady arrived (2018), and he was a middling college QB.  Enter Joe Brady, and he has the greatest season in the history of college QB's.  Every stat went up.

Not only did his completion percentage go up, but at the same time his yards per attempt and air yards per attempt went up.  He completed more passes, and attempted longer passes.  He threw FOUR TIMES as many touchdowns as compared to the prior year.  He threw TEN TIMES more TD's than INT's.

The offensive skill players were largely the same.  Feel free to go check it out.  The only difference was Joe Brady came in and revolutionized that offense.

Maybe what he did won't translate to the NFL.  Man, it's totally possible.  However, the reason people are excited is because in a small sample size, Joe Brady absolutely produced.

That means, to me, he is a good coach in terms of actually coaching the player, that really has nothing to do with coming up with a game plan and actually calling plays

Archived