• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers *ARE NOT* tanking

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Guess what, the egos in that clubhouse are out of control. Nobody ever wants to lose out but facts are facts and this roster is 75% pure garbage. Even though we don't want to, it's inevitable at this point.

I think the real moment for panic will be 2-3 years into this process if Rhule is still steadfast in "his approach" with mediocre to bad results. 

That is what really concerns me about any "true believer" coach is that they are extremely slow and resistant to change or the fact what they do might not be working. That sounds a lot like.....Ron and John.

43 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Really? Wouldn't we have to score for that to happen?

This team is going to score. Bridgewater is not a bad QB. Joe Brady's offense with CMC, DJ Moore, Robby Anderson, Samuel, Ian Thomas...this team is going to put up points. They are probably going to have a hard time stopping anyone though. The defense is a joke right now.

34 minutes ago, Asurfaholic said:

I just don’t see anyone in the NFL playing to lose. Coaches are in this to make a strong impression, players are in it for better contracts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2017/6/16/16077336/nfl-tanking-nightmare-new-york-jets-cleveland-browns-competitive-balance-6c9f3937811b

To add to that, the Dolphins did it just last year.

7 minutes ago, hepcat said:

This team is going to score. Bridgewater is not a bad QB. Joe Brady's offense with CMC, DJ Moore, Robby Anderson, Samuel, Ian Thomas...this team is going to put up points. They are probably going to have a hard time stopping anyone though. The defense is a joke right now.

I don't see us being an offensive juggernaut, hope your right though. Honestly if Bridgewater makes it more than 8 games, I will be impressed.

3 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I don't see us being an offensive juggernaut, hope your right though. Honestly if Bridgewater makes it more than 8 games, I will be impressed.

Could have said the same thing about Cam...which is why I'm confused why they traded Kyle Allen away who had almost a full season of starting experience in exchange for an undrafted rookie who hasn't started a single game.

I think we’ll play hard and up-tempo on offense, but it’ll still become an organic tank by week 12 or so — especially if we get hit hard by the injury bug like we often do. I’m still feeling 2-14 or 3-13, but we also haven’t had the draft yet and another round of free agency. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Rhule is not interested in winning under 5 games this season. He is not interested in dragging this team down to the worst in the league to draft any single player. 

Instead, he is looking to build a culture of hard work and accountability in the building. The hope is that will benefit the team as a whole much more than any single player would. That would be nearly impossible to create if he allowed a 1-2 win season. The goal is a season with a handful of wins, some close losses, and a hell of a lot of hustle. 

I'm good with that. 

I agree. There's something about building a culture of hard work, of wanting to win, of creating a team identity about those things that makes for winners. Are we going to win the NFC South this year? Almost definitely not... this is the toughest division in football, still.

Will we win the NFC South within the next three years? Oh yeah, without a doubt. And we will be able to repeat.

Sometimes it's amazing what a bunch of nobodies can accomplish when they get everything out of the way and build up a head of steam.

I think Rhule can do it.

19 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Why is everyone sold on Joe Brady? He was at New Orleans where Sean Payton ran the offense and then at LSU with a heisman winning QB and NFL talent all over the offense. I'm not sure it was so much as Brady and the schemes he brought with him or the talent on the offense. Hell Cam Newton made Gus Malzahn at Auburn look competent. I hope Brady is all he is being made out to be but he is as big a question mark to me as anything.

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think that is a two parts, Rivera/Shula had a body of NFL work to critique and compare to, so that made criticisms very much pointed. The talent was extremely obvious on most of those rosters, as well. 

Now we have no real body of work to critique for the coaching staff and the roster talent is largely lacking or unproven(some obvious exceptions). 

That uncertainty doesn't breed confidence in everyone, it creates worry.

That’s fair, I would agree that there is a ton of uncertainty with this team...but with regards to this uncertainty, why is the default sentiment among the Huddle, that of extreme negativity and pessimism? Uncertainty means things could go very well, or things could go very poorly, but everyone is carrying over last season’s conditions to this year’s as if we didn’t just completely overhaul the entire coaching staff. Everyone is saying our defense will be abysmal this year because last year’s was abysmal, with no regard for a new DC and a shift back to the 4-3. I’d say those are pretty significant changes.

Despite being called a “homer” simply because I challenge people on their negative views, I never make any positive proclamations about this team or their future. This year however, I admit the uncertainty does breed excitement in me about what our team could become under an entirely new coaching staff...rather than the mundane status quo under Rivera year after year. I guess I’m alone in that though.

1 hour ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Jeremy they picked the black Alex Smith over a former MVP who looked like a pro bowler just 1.5 years ago before he got hurt. And lets not even get into the defense. Gonna make the 2012 Saints look like the 2000 Ravens

Pro bowler 1½ years ago? That might be a stretch!

I'm starting to get disoriented here.  A third thinks we're still tanking and will be awful, a third thinks we're set up for mediocrity and are pissed we won't get a top QB 2021, and the other is pretty chill and are even keel about the future and expectations. 

11 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

That’s fair, I would agree that there is a ton of uncertainty with this team...but with regards to this uncertainty, why is the default sentiment among the Huddle, that of extreme negativity and pessimism? Uncertainty means things could go very well, or things could go very poorly, but everyone is carrying over last season’s conditions to this year’s as if we didn’t just completely overhaul the entire coaching staff. Everyone is saying our defense will be abysmal this year because last year’s was abysmal, with no regard for a new DC and a shift back to the 4-3. I’d say those are pretty significant changes.

Despite being called a “homer” simply because I challenge people on their negative views, I never make any positive proclamations about this team or their future. This year however, I admit the uncertainty does breed excitement in me about what our team could become under an entirely new coaching staff...rather than the mundane status quo under Rivera year after year. I guess I’m alone in that though.

Lol. Well, at this point I think the pessimism is largely cultured after only have 7 winning seasons since 1995, never having had back to back winning seasons  and losing two Super Bowls. 

Plus the "new owner" smell wore off quickly after last season's failures. And Marty Hurney is still here. There are lots of reasons to be pessimistic, TBQH. 

I wish I could be more positive about the future, I really do. It would be a lot less stressful. I just don't view all this uncertainty with a sense of positivity. 

Archived