• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers *ARE NOT* tanking

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

Derek Anderson had a pro bowl year with a good OC and weapons... Count Teddy out .. cool.. But it's not that hard to throw a 10 yard out and watch it go for 60 because the weapons and the scheme is good..

He's got a weak arm but can win if surrounded by pro bowlers and great coaching. I doubt he will stay healthy for a full year though, hope I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The past two drafts have netted us two starters so far. The roster right now is pretty damn close to the roster we are playing with in 2020. I’d assume pick 7 and 38 should absolutely start, but honestly based on the past two drafts we can’t count on that.

It’s still premature to point at the current roster as your proof that there is tanking on the agenda. 

I just don’t see anyone in the NFL playing to lose. Coaches are in this to make a strong impression, players are in it for better contracts.

Besides, if you are looking at the people on the roster and making a claim that they will be as bad or wise than last year, it’s kinda dumb because on paper Panthers should have had a pretty stout defense last year. Defense is just a few short holes away from looking good IMO. It’s not done yet, there’s still offseason to go :/

1 minute ago, Asurfaholic said:

It’s still premature to point at the current roster as your proof that there is tanking on the agenda. 

I just don’t see anyone in the NFL playing to lose. Coaches are in this to make a strong impression, players are in it for better contracts.

Besides, if you are looking at the people on the roster and making a claim that they will be as bad or wise than last year, it’s kinda dumb because on paper Panthers should have had a pretty stout defense last year. Defense is just a few short holes away from looking good IMO. It’s not done yet, there’s still offseason to go :/

How do you think our roster compares to the rest of the NFCS? 

NFL millionaires typically do not do well with college coaches that will be preaching hustle. Their motivations are completely different then when they were in college. I hope Rhule adjusts based on being in the NFL now because I doubt the college motivational tactics work.

It blows my mind how the narrative in the Huddle for years now has been how much Rivera and Shula sucked and held this team back, and yet now that we have brought in an entirely new coaching staff, there is virtually not a peep about how new coaching might actually affect our roster. It’s just “wow our roster is so bad”. So is coaching important or not? Maybe the new coaching staff will suck, maybe they’ll be mediocre, maybe they’ll be great. But everyone is simply talking about how bad our roster is...news flash: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. By all accounts, Rhule is brilliant at developing his players so I don’t think it’s crazy to think that the lackluster performances we saw from individuals last season may not necessarily translate to this season.

3 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

It blows my mind how the narrative in the Huddle for years now has been how much Rivera and Shula sucked and held this team back, and yet now that we have brought in an entirely new coaching staff, there is virtually not a peep about how new coaching might actually affect our roster. It’s just “wow our roster is so bad”. So is coaching important or not? Maybe the new coaching staff will suck, maybe they’ll be mediocre, maybe they’ll be great. But everyone is simply talking about how bad our roster is...news flash: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. By all accounts, Rhule is brilliant at developing his players so I don’t think it’s crazy to think that the lackluster performances we saw from individuals last season may not necessarily translate to this season.

I think that is a two parts, Rivera/Shula had a body of NFL work to critique and compare to, so that made criticisms very much pointed. The talent was extremely obvious on most of those rosters, as well. 

Now we have no real body of work to critique for the coaching staff and the roster talent is largely lacking or unproven(some obvious exceptions). 

That uncertainty doesn't breed confidence in everyone, it creates worry.

49 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Rhule is not interested in winning under 5 games this season. He is not interested in dragging this team down to the worst in the league to draft any single player. 

Instead, he is looking to build a culture of hard work and accountability in the building. The hope is that will benefit the team as a whole much more than any single player would. That would be nearly impossible to create if he allowed a 1-2 win season. The goal is a season with a handful of wins, some close losses, and a hell of a lot of hustle. 

I'm good with that. 

Guess what, the egos in that clubhouse are out of control. Nobody ever wants to lose out but facts are facts and this roster is 75% pure garbage. Even though we don't want to, it's inevitable at this point.

7 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

it's in the back of my mind especially on the offensive line. No Matsko means that unit can only go up. But the problem is the coaching staff has literally no nfl experience. If we brought in a good nfl coach with his staff, most likely we know what we got. if we brought in someone like bienemy with his guys, we'd have an idea and at least they have some nfl experience. This has Chip Kelly written all over it.

Archived