• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers *ARE NOT* tanking

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

Point is just because we have a great RB and a game manager doesn't mean we're not in position to tank..

We won 5 games playing one of the most dysfunctional seasons in history.  Most teams would've been lucky to win 3 games put in the same position.  The signing of Bridgewater is a indicative of what the team envisions in our offense.  Dynamic, flashy, quick strikes that keep defenses on their toes.  You don't need a strong offensive line when you're releasing the ball or scrambling out of the pocket in 3 seconds.  We are going to ball control on offense and limit other teams taking advantage of our defense.  We will look to build leads and force teams to throw through the air to win.  

16 minutes ago, SmartyHurney said:

Oh, so you are choosing to be delusional and ignore Teddy's first two years as a starter in the league.

Again genius.. I think he is a game manager.. I don't think he will workout and we will be in position to  draft QB next year in a better Qb draft..  

But I'm also analytical and there is always a possibility (even if its slight) that right timing, right coach, right scheme, right surrounding cast, can make a QB look better... And if he proves that then you're in a different situation..  Just like when It happened with Jake..

1 minute ago, CatTower said:

We won 5 games playing one of the most dysfunctional seasons in history.  Most teams would've been lucky to win 3 games put in the same position.  The signing of Bridgewater is a indicative of what the team envisions in our offense.  Dynamic, flashy, quick strikes that keep defenses on their toes.  You don't need a strong offensive line when you're releasing the ball or scrambling out of the pocket in 3 seconds.  We are going to ball control on offense and limit other teams taking advantage of our defense.  We will look to build leads and force teams to throw through the air to win.  

You are still fielding a team looking for a new identity, new leaders understand new coaching and new schemes.. That doesn't come without bumps and bruises.. Add in the fact you've pretty much decimated and have to rebuild a whole new defense... Its not a recipe for early success and they have to know this .. Which is the reason the owners is sending letters to PSL owner to be patient with what they are doing...

It doesn't take a genius to see they aren't able to put a competitive team on the field this year.. And this season while it might not be a intentionally "tank" it is a reset and and more important to build a culture then Wins and Loses..

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, any of us who have been Panthers fans have seen a lot. We've seen reinvention after reinvention and plenty of different coaches and approaches. 

Rhule wasn't an exciting hire he was an unknown. So, without much else as far as information, I am going to tend to revert to a "seen this all before" mindset. 

Don't get me wrong, if we start getting results, I will come around for sure(most will). I just can't default to optimistic outlooks with this franchise at the moment. I don't see the things that the sunshine fans do. 

To quote another infamous former Panther....it is what it is.

If there was a such thing as a known, exciting head coaching hire then I guarantee you that guy would’ve been snatched up by someone. Do you have an example of one of these proven AND exciting head coaches who’s sitting on his couch right now, unemployed? “Unknown” is about as exciting as we could’ve hoped for...unless you think a retread like McCarthy or McDaniels would’ve been exciting.

5 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

If there was a such thing as a known, exciting head coaching hire then I guarantee you that guy would’ve been snatched up by someone. Do you have an example of one of these proven AND exciting head coaches who’s sitting on his couch right now, unemployed? “Unknown” is about as exciting as we could’ve hoped for...unless you think a retread like McCarthy or McDaniels would’ve been exciting.

No, I was pretty anti-retread during the process. I wasn't even hardcore anti-Rhule, I was just hoping we had more NFL coaching experience on his staff. 

I liked Bieniemy personally but I am not sure I would call him exciting or proven. More proven than Rhule, but that was a pretty low bar to hit.

They're not tanking, they're half-ass doing it.  If we weren't tanking, we wouldn't be eating all of that dead cap right now. 

And they're locking in years of "hustle" and mediocrity again.  Even if Teddy is good here...does anyone here actually, with a straight face, think Teddy Bridgewater is going to win a Super Bowl or even NFC Championship?  Going to have to trade the farm to get our QB in next year's draft and we're doing nothing but harming that right now.  The benefits of winning 5-6 games this year is...building confidence to raise our ceiling to 7 wins the next year?  And 8 after that?  Teddy B has a ceiling, and it's not the level Tepper has preached about. 

Just now, CarolinaNCSU said:

They're not tanking, they're half-ass doing it.  If we weren't tanking, we wouldn't be eating all of that dead cap right now. 

And they're locking in years of "hustle" and mediocrity again.  Even if Teddy is good here...does anyone here actually, with a straight face, think Teddy Bridgewater is going to win a Super Bowl or even NFC Championship?  Going to have to trade the farm to get our QB in next year's draft and we're doing nothing but harming that right now.  The benefits of winning 5-6 games this year is...building confidence to raise our ceiling to 7 wins the next year?  And 8 after that?  Teddy B has a ceiling, and it's not the level Tepper has preached about. 

Yea, I do think Bridgewater could be the starting QB on a superbowl winning team.  Depends entirely on the team around him, really.  A lot of people here seem to think you need MVP-Cam to win a superbowl... but remember how 2015 went down.  Bridgewater could be a QB that is good enough to lead a team, without needing to be the reason the team succeeds.  But I don't think that is his role here necessarily.  His contract does not scream "franchise QB for the future."

He's been brought in as someone to help steady the ship in a transition period, but with some really great offensive weapons around him that could enable him to have success. Defense needs a ton of work, so they need a QB that protects the ball and can execute an offense, just as he did with the Saints.  And if he lives up to what he did with the Saints, not only can we build around him for a long time, we'll also be a significantly better team than most any of us really think.  If he is even close to that, we'll be competitive in a lot of games. And if he is a disappointment, he probably won't lose us many games.  Regardless, he is a relatively low risk, not-too-expensive, decent QB, and we can start seeing the cultural change and development of a program here.

1 hour ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

They are building this team through the draft.  Getting FAs on 1 and 2 year deals allows them to move on from a player in a couple years without dead money.  In 2-3 years they will have a core built through the draft and a lot of cap space to pick up a few big names to make a run.

5 hours ago, Toomers said:

What other GMs have went 35-61 with no winning seasons or playoffs in their last 6 seasons in charge. Where do these “most GMs” work? 

Love how you cherry pick a stat to try and keep your agenda going. You could have asked if any GMs had taken 2 teams to the Superbowl or had more first rounders that were homegrown versus other GMs.  You see what you want to see.

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Marty has had some homeruns but he has had a looooooooooot of strikeouts. 

That is true for most GMs That is the point. None of them hit more often than they miss particularly in the later rounds. People always want to.point out the negatives without at least putting it into context.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Love how you cherry pick a stat to try and keep your agenda going. You could have asked if any GMs had taken 2 teams to the Superbowl or had more first rounders that were homegrown versus other GMs.  You see what you want to see.

Cherry-picking a stat what people do when they solely focus on ONE singular aspect of a job and ignore all relevant results. Like winning. So you, and others are the only ones doing any cherry-picking. And you can’t get those right. One SB, not two. 

Anytime you want to go through the whole list I’m more than ready. We can put everything on the table so.there will not be any cherry-picking by anyone. We can start with how a playoff team two years ago is now in the worst roster situation in the NFL. 

Archived