• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Phil Snow

I was honestly not happy with Rhule bringing him along at first, but I looked at some of his past and was impressed. 

1 big thing is even though it was the Lions, he has been on an NFL sideline for a few years, so it's not a completely new experience for him.

The main thing that impressed me with Snow was his performance vs the Big 12 offenses. Baylor just had gotten out of the freaking death penalty and many suggested their program might fold at one point, but the way Rhule and Snow turned that team around is insane. For anyone major into college football, the Big 12 is laughable because EVERYONE in that conference literally allows 40-50 points 5-10 times a year. 

Snow had that defense from 1-11 after the program death penalty to the point where Oklahoma in two match ups only put up 34,31 points in 2019.

Many people on this board don't follow CFB, but the main thing that made Rhule such a compelling hire is the speed he turned these 2 programs around, getting guys he didn't recruit to buy into what he wanted to do. The fact that Phil Snow fielded a squad in the Big 12 2 years after a program that just went through the harshest punishment in CFB to a top 3 defense in the big 12 says something. 

If it was the ACC, PAC-12, or Big 10 I would be less impressed, but only 1-2 teams every year in the BIG 12 have terrible offenses, so having any low score games is almost impossible.

Saban, Spurrier, Dabo, Bobby Petrino... Most of that group had tried to win in the NFL (Minus Dabo) and couldn't. Why? Because they didn't win off coaching, they won off building programs that had talent that was 10x better then everyone else. Dabo started at Clemson in 2008 and took 5 years to win 11 games in 2013. Tommy Bowden left Dabo a program that had good players including C.J Spiller, it still took him 5 years.

Ultimately what makes this staff special, is the fact that they won off coaching as opposed to recruiting 5*s. Baylor isn't a recruiting powerhouse, neither is Temple.

I'm honestly really looking forward to seeing what these guys bring to our team in 2020 and the future. Snow has proven once he can work more with less. I honestly don't think we're as far from fielding a playoff team as people think. We are ALOT younger this year on defense, I think Shaq will step up now that he is THE guy and veteran on the defense. 

Archived