• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

10 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I don't get why some people downplay the fact that more tests are being done resulting in bigger numbers. While they might not be "new cases", it still means that many more people have it than previously thought.

Yep and we went up from 9% to 10% positive results.  

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Totally disagree. The point of social distancing was to keep what happened in Italy and New York from happening in the rest of the country. It was always about not overwhelming the hospitals which would have pushed the death rate from below 1% to closer to 3 or 4 %. And social distancing has done that. The attitude if not caring about anyone but yourself is a big reason why we have more cases than any other country. The whole I don't care anymore and I'll take my chances is a selfish attitude and reflects the current me versus we attitude which is huge part of the problem in this country. The fact many others are being selfish and self absorbed is hardly an adequate justification. So if I handed you a bag of m&Ms and said 3 were poisoned, would you be the first to eat one or would you let other guys eat them until 3 of them died and then eat with no worries?  

I don't like M&M's so I'd just hand them back.

We make calculated risks every day. Driving cars, eating processed food, smoking, eating food not nuked to the "proper" temp. It's part of life. I wasn't particularly worried basically at any point, even when at my workplace outside of Detroit they had over 250 positive cases and over 500 quarantined. 

I am not in the high risk category so my odds of perishing are very low. I wash my hands anyway and I wear the masks because I am required. Other that, I don't give much more of a poo now than I did then. I am not gonna let fear dictate whatever long or short life I have remaining, especially when the risk is so very low. 

This is going to keep happening. Outbreaks happen. Life can't grind to a halt because of each calamity. Evaluate the risks, avoid the high risks and just keep trucking along. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

My point is that they now have the ability to test more people.  People who were not getting tested before are getting tested now.  Before, if you were not sick enough to need hospitalization, they were not testing you and told you to go home and self quarantine.  And I know several people who had that happen.

Testing stopped the outbreak at my workplace. Every employee got tested every week. People got quarantined and they did contact tracing. There hasn't been a positive case on site for about 2 weeks now.

34 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't like M&M's so I'd just hand them back.

We make calculated risks every day. Driving cars, eating processed food, smoking, eating food not nuked to the "proper" temp. It's part of life. I wasn't particularly worried basically at any point, even when at my workplace outside of Detroit they had over 250 positive cases and over 500 quarantined. 

I am not in the high risk category so my odds of perishing are very low. I wash my hands anyway and I wear the masks because I am required. Other that, I don't give much more of a poo now than I did then. I am not gonna let fear dictate whatever long or short life I have remaining, especially when the risk is so very low. 

This is going to keep happening. Outbreaks happen. Life can't grind to a halt because of each calamity. Evaluate the risks, avoid the high risks and just keep trucking along. 

34 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Again if this were only about you then that would be fine. But it isnt. And we aren't talking about forever, maybe 6- 9 months before we have a vaccine. And the GDP in the second quarter is expected to go down 2%. Truth is many sectors are not that hurting and a lot of those unemployed made more on unemployment than they did working.  Outbreaks do occur, but a huge part of the problem is not learning from our experience, being prepared, or folks like you who only care about themselves.  There is a path to open the economy and keep people safe but it isn't the one we have taken or the one you suggest. All of the goveremts own guidelines for opening up were tossed away a week after they were distributed.

Edited by panthers55

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Testing stopped the outbreak at my workplace. Every employee got tested every week. People got quarantined and they did contact tracing. There hasn't been a positive case on site for about 2 weeks now.

And if that were happening across the country then this could be contained and managed but it isn't, even though the guidelines the government put out said to do exactly this. One week after they came out they were ignored in a rush to open back up. We screwed up the first time through the country and are on a path to do it again 

Edited by panthers55

I would not put so much emphasis on your opinions guys.  The whole thing has morphed from 2.2 million deaths to 110k deaths.  Some states that opened early are doing fine.  The things you are hearing and the sources you use, are just parroting some other source that is guessing too.

What we do know is what we have know all along.  Older folks and ones with certain conditions should stay waaay safe.  The rest, not so much according the the numbers

• Beer 1

42 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

And if that were happening across the country then this could be contained and managed but it isn't, even though the guidelines the government put out said to do exactly this. One week after they came out they were ignored in a rush to open back up. We screwed up the first time through the country and are on a path to do it again 

It would have, but making and running 400 million tests a week is something no one has figured out how to do.

Edited by Tbe

4 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Still most people getting tested is because they think they need to (possible contraction or symptomatic).  Perfectly healthy 'feeling' people are not getting tested to a large extent.  I know of two people that got tested recently only because they thought they may have caught it.  Both ended up negative, but the point is they were concerned enough to go.  I have yet to talk to anyone that has taken a test that has felt fine this entire time.  

My daughters friend's family all took it "just because".  So, I believe there are others that are doing this as well.

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Again if this were only about you then that would be fine. But it isnt. And we aren't talking about forever, maybe 6- 9 months before we have a vaccine. And the GDP in the second quarter is expected to go down 2%. Truth is many sectors are not that hurting and a lot of those unemployed made more on unemployment than they did working.  Outbreaks do occur, but a huge part of the problem is not learning from our experience, being prepared, or folks like you who only care about themselves.  There is a path to open the economy and keep people safe but it isn't the one we have taken or the one you suggest. All of the goveremts own guidelines for opening up were tossed away a week after they were distributed.

You are making an assumption that vaccine is coming. SARS 1 still does not have a vaccine to this day.

That unemployment is going to run out. And those people will not have jobs. Those small businesses that closed aren't going to re-open. If you think the government is going to take take of us, you are being willfully ignorant of the history of this country and it's attitudes and actions towards it citizens. 

As I said, I'm sick of it and I am done with it. If anything, the fact that all those things seem to have been largely abandoned by the populace speaks volumes. People are just over it.

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Exactly. We aren't going to do the things that would make things safer for the people and not place the undue burden on anyone but the populace. We are more than capable of funding testing in this country and the government paying for it. But that won't happen. Ever.

So, you may as well open back up. If the people are going to be forced to bear the entire burden of the epidemic, at least they will have the ability to decide for themselves how they want to handle it. 

11 hours ago, stirs said:

I would not put so much emphasis on your opinions guys.  The whole thing has morphed from 2.2 million deaths to 110k deaths.  Some states that opened early are doing fine.  The things you are hearing and the sources you use, are just parroting some other source that is guessing too.

What we do know is what we have know all along.  Older folks and ones with certain conditions should stay waaay safe.  The rest, not so much according the the numbers

The data has changed very little from the initial Chinese study. It was largely mirrored by the results in Italy and it has remained largely the same since that point. 

Continuing the economic assault on the lower class is going to have consequences. You can see the results of it in the protests at state capitals to end the quarantine and some of the rioting/looting after George Floyd's murder. People are just generally on edge and it's wearing on the public. 

The fact is that we aren't going to make any meaningful legislation to help the workers, the essential employees or any of the people that were really devastated by this. We chose unemployment instead of a payroll program(which likely would have been cheaper if you look at what happened in Europe), we chose vast massive bailouts to large corporations instead of meaningful programs for small businesses and we didn't make testing free or federally funded. So it's pretty clear now as it was before the coronavirus that our corrupt government doesn't really give a poo about us. 

At that rate, we may as well reopen the country and let people live their lives, with knowledge of the risks. If that doesn't happen, it is just going to accelerate the destruction of the lower class and increase their despair. Having 40+ million desperate, poverty stricken citizens is not going to end well. Having an entire generation without any job prospects or future aside from the gig economy and giant retailers is not going to end well. If you think the riots and looting that were happening during the protesting was an accident, you haven't been paying much attention. People without any prospects or hope aren't going to be that far from making that jump to just taking whatever poo they want to help them survive. 

Let's say some guy walks out his front door, gets in his car equipped with air bags, crumple zones, seat belts, and other modern safety features, and drives off.  He gets fuging creamed in an intersection by somebody running a red light.  He survives but is badly shaken up.

What he takes from the incident is that all the safety features of his car are a waste of time because he didn't even die or suffer massive injuries.  Not only that, he's no longer wearing his seat belt and is going to pull the fuse for his air bags because he's decided he doesn't believe in the concept of accidents and won't be in another one in his entire life.

If you're on of those "the lockdowns were pointless because 'only' 100,000 people died" guys, this story is about you.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1