• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney playing 7D chess

Jeremy Igo

Positionless players are not “plug and play” in a traditional defense.  You actually have to design a specific one for them.  That’s why not every team with be interested.  One of Rhule’s former Temple players ,LB Haason Reddick, tested close to Simmons and was considered position less when drafted 11 by Arizona a couple of years ago.  He’s been a bust so far. In fact, IMO there’s a better chance we trade for Reddick than draft Simmons. Another player for player trade might make sense.

We will most likely draft defense in the first. The only way we won’t is if the guy(s) we are looking for aren’t there, someone we expected not to be there will be or we have interest in trading down and accumulating more early (2-3 round) picks. An OT would only make sense on how the board is built. This is something we will have no clue about until a week or so before the draft after all the prospects are brought in and a list of the people the panthers are interested are compiled. Are Wills Jr, Becton, Wirfs or Thomas worth a #7 pick if the status of Cam beyond this year is still uncertain? I say no. Defense has too many holes and between Brown, Okudah and Simmons that’s too much talent to not take a flyer on one when we have lost our leader on defense to retirement.

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

Simmons is certainly an intriguing prospect, but we kind of need some semblance of a real NFL secondary in the NFCS.

Yeah and maybe some guys on the DL. We’ll cover TEs well, but any WR or RB is going to have a field day. Love Simmons as a prospect but damn our D will be bad. Even if Simmons comes close to helping buffer the Luke retirement, who’s going to help with losing Bradberry, Boston, McCoy, Poe, Butler and Cockrell? We don’t have enough picks to even line up warm bodies considering we still need a LG, RG and god forbid a decent C. Ugh, I’d be OK with this if I felt we were going full rebuild but Okung makes me feel like we are going to try and win. Cam’s over/under before IR appears to be 3 games right now.

Crap I forgot about Addison and Irvin too. Oh, this D could be epic. If we are truly in rebuild mode, the comp picks should be special too. I do feel bad for Cam. If I was his agent, no chance I’m playing on a one year deal when the middle of my OL is non-existent right now.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Yeah and maybe some guys on the DL. We’ll cover TEs well, but any WR or RB is going to have a field day. Love Simmons as a prospect but damn our D will be bad. Even if Simmons comes close to helping buffer the Luke retirement, who’s going to help with losing Bradberry, Boston, McCoy, Poe, Butler and Cockrell? We don’t have enough picks to even line up warm bodies considering we still need a LG, RG and god forbid a decent C. Ugh, I’d be OK with this if I felt we were going full rebuild but Okung makes me feel like we are going to try and win. Cam’s over/under before IR appears to be 3 games right now.

I do have concerns about the apparent inconsistency in whether we are actually rebuilding or trying to compete. I'm guessing Tepper maybe should have chosen his words more carefully and now they are trying to walk it back a bit because fans are obviously less inclined to give a poo or bother showing up at all if we are truly in a total teardown.

As far as the defense, I think we can make improvements in some areas but I'm pretty much in the mindset of accepting that we will continue to get eaten up for the foreseeable future looking at the departures until we get a few drafts under us to even it all out.

1 minute ago, imminent rogaine said:

Taller, faster Kam Chancellor? Im down. Between he,Jackson, and burns, we’d def have some speed on defense.

Going to need it if we draft Simmons over Brown. We’ll need guys who can chase down the RBs running through the Mack truck sized holes. If the ball is thrown to the other side, Donte is just going to have to take off and assume he has to tackle the WR before he scores.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Going to need it if we draft Simmons over Brown. We’ll need guys who can chase down the RBs running through the Mack truck sized holes. If the ball is thrown to the other side, Donte is just going to have to take off and assume he has to tackle the WR before he scores.

Sounds like last year. I don’t see what could go wrong.

10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I do have concerns about the apparent inconsistency in whether we are actually rebuilding or trying to compete. I'm guessing Tepper maybe should have chosen his words more carefully and now they are trying to walk it back a bit because fans are obviously less inclined to give a poo or bother showing up at all if we are truly in a total teardown.

As far as the defense, I think we can make improvements in some areas but I'm pretty much in the mindset of accepting that we will continue to get eaten up for the foreseeable future looking at the departures until we get a few drafts under us to even it all out.

Agreed and while people seem to think I hate Cam (I don’t), my biggest issue with the trade is that I don’t see a direction. If you are keeping Cam, why not just a low pick for Okung? If you are doing it to give Little another year and save cap, why are we leading Cam on? Do we think Paradis is going to be better with who knows on his left and right? This D is going to be dreadful and it appears that we are going to let the FAs go for comp picks. I’m all for that because this team as it has been was 1-15 in the second halves the last two years with the win being against a Brees less Saints team resting players. We need to turn that over and get more picks. If that’s the case don’t half ass it.

People say Miami screwed it up, but in a solid draft they’ll come away with Tua, two more firsts and two seconds. Next year they have two firsts and two seconds again. If they draft well they are in a much better spot in a hurry.

One last note, if they are really changing any plans around being worried about what fans think in 2020, then this could get like the Browns.

WHUT HAPPEN'D WUZ:

Odd that the Panthers and Chargers have been talking--wonder what about?

WHAT IF:  The Chargers want Cam and Cam wants Turner at RG and a solid OL.  Tepper has been flaunting the idea of dismantling the OL since "committing" to Cam.    The Chargers will then take a LT in the draft.  Cam goes to LAC once he is proven to be healthy.

Now LAC has the star power in LA, a solid OL to protect him (one geared toward the run) and the Panthers have $19m in cap room and the ability to create $13m more by 2021 or sooner. 

So now the Panthers have eliminated one team looking for a QB in front of them-taking a T--a position we will (now) not  be drafting in the first round.  If there are five teams picking ahead of the Panthers and 4 QBs that could go that early...

Tua will not be able to play in 2020, and not many GMs want to lose for a season before they see  results. So it is possible that Tua falls.  If he does not, Herbert could.  What could Brady do with Herbert?

And Simmons--not Young--is the best football player in this draft.  They could want him badly.  Imagine a player who not only stays on the field for 3 downs, but he can play ILB, OLB, S, and nickel.  Who does that?  If you draft a LB and keep him on the field in nickel packages, it is like getting 2 players-1 roster spot.

I am done.

19 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Agreed and while people seem to think I hate Cam (I don’t), my biggest issue with the trade is that I don’t see a direction. If you are keeping Cam, why not just a low pick for Okung? If you are doing it to give Little another year and save cap, why are we leading Cam on? Do we think Paradis is going to be better with who knows on his left and right? This D is going to be dreadful and it appears that we are going to let the FAs go for comp picks. I’m all for that because this team as it has been was 1-15 in the second halves the last two years with the win being against a Brees less Saints team resting players. We need to turn that over and get more picks. If that’s the case don’t half ass it.

People say Miami screwed it up, but in a solid draft they’ll come away with Tua, two more firsts and two seconds. Next year they have two firsts and two seconds again. If they draft well they are in a much better spot in a hurry.

One last note, if they are really changing any plans around being worried about what fans think in 2020, then this could get like the Browns.

I'm pretty much tired of the Cam speculation. Rhule has spoken on it directly even as recently as within the last 48 hours. In the eyes of some here on the carolinahuddle when someone says something they actually mean the opposite. Guys are trying too hard to look for smoke and mirrors in everything. From my perspective all I can do is take them at their word. We have so many concerns and quarterback is only one of them. People with agendas will keep driving the trade Cam talk in threads where he isn't involved. It's boring and nauseating.

Archived