• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL should definitely copy this, but never will.

Jeremy Igo

Seriously doubt the NFL would ever be that transparent.

If, for example, they had allowed everyone to look in on the process of reviewing one of the calls that went against the Saints, their fanbase most certainly would have seized on some comment that was made as proof of a conspiracy.

The XFL can afford it, though mind you I think the constant sideline interviews with coaches and players are dumb.

Side Note: The NBA should make the lottery selection process public too, but that ain't happnin' either.

Related: Sean Payton says improved football tracking technology is coming

While speaking with Peter King for Football Morning in America, Payton said that he expects to see “the ball crossing the plane of the goal line, and the uprights flashing yellow, just like the shot clock in the NBA” as part of the game in the near future. That comes after a Super Bowl week appearance on PFT Live that featured Payton discussing the Saints’ use of technology for tracking their own players, which he called “a target and simple barcode system that helps you locate track and be more accurate.”

Flashing uprights? :thinking:

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, I guess like goal line tech in soccer.

Personally, and I know I'm an outlier for sure, but I prefer a little less "perfection" in sport. I like that the officiating is an imperfect element that informs the narrative of contests - just like the imperfect players and coaches.

If we continue down the road that we've started walking on - the road of expecting to get every thing exactly right (an impossibility anyway), we may as well just run digital simulations instead of on-field competition.

6 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Yeah, I guess like goal line tech in soccer.

Personally, and I know I'm an outlier for sure, but I prefer a little less "perfection" in sport. I like that the officiating is an imperfect element that informs the narrative of contests - just like the imperfect players and coaches.

If we continue down the road that we've started walking on - the road of expecting to get every thing exactly right (an impossibility anyway), we may as well just run digital simulations instead of on-field competition.

I'm of a similar mindset, actually.

19 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

How strong is the ref union for the NFL?

At the end of the day, those guys just don't want to be held accountable.

Yep pretty much this. Remember the replacement refs? It’s definitely a hard damn job to do right and they get a lot of sh*t but they could definitely be better and just don’t want to be held accountable like you said. They have much more leverage now after the 2012 replacement refs debacle, because as bad as they are now, they could even be much worse.

34 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yep pretty much this. Remember the replacement refs? It’s definitely a hard damn job to do right and they get a lot of sh*t but they could definitely be better and just don’t want to be held accountable like you said. They have much more leverage now after the 2012 replacement refs debacle, because as bad as they are now, they could even be much worse.

Agreed.

I also think the NFL is being wholly lazy in not implementing 10 year old technology to perfectly place the balls.  There is no reason for a 65 year old man to be sprinting down the sideline trying to evaluate where a punt went out of bounds, or for two 65 year old men to be holding MF'ing sticks tied together with 30 feet of chain.

It's downright stupid...but here we are.

Archived