• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defense Scheme

ericr0319

@The_Lobo   

Thanks for the heads up on the podcast.  Cody Alexander has a site called Match Quarters where he writes in-depth articles on the defensive side of the ball. His site is full of good reads. He also writes books and has clinics on YouTube. 

Rhule's defenses have generally been 4-3 based, but with lots of shifts to creat different looks. 4-3 under and over shifts with lots of zone blitzes. Lots of single high looks. I've been assuming Burns would move to DE, but I honestly think he may be a a rush OLB in Rhule's 4-3. In over/under shifts, you essentially have one OLB playing a 3-4 DE type role. Gonna be interesting. One thing is for sure though I think and that's that our days of considering safeties afterthoughts are over. The safeties play a pretty key role in most of Rhule's defenses.

I would wager we'll trend more to nickel to start to match NFL trends of offense featuring 11 personnel (3WR, 1TE, 1HB)

I think we will show multiple ''base'' fronts on run downs as our personnel is a bit in flux defensively, so I'd expect us to be multiple with the 3-4 / 4-3. 

The one thing I'm interested in seeing is how the new staff handles playing talent over experience, I think we've taken the development of legitimate talent too conservatively over Rivera's tenure. 

Not all the time, but on multiple occasions as fans we've been able to see a young guy playing well only to be left on the bench in order for a veteran to play that spot, and ONLY due to necessity (injury) do we then insert the young talent. 

I think we've delayed the growth of players like Shaq, Butler, Moore (in his rookie year), and even recently Brian Burns adhering to that outdated in my opinion ideology of playing the experience over talent. I mean how else does one attain experience without being out there. 

17 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Do we have any of the other parts?

I think we have 1 and 2 other guys. 

Lol those are the most important parts. Shaq had a monster year as a 3-4 MLB and putting him as our MLB would be less effective. Moving him back to Will would leave a huge void at MLB. All we have to do is find another 3-4 MLB and we are still really good at the 3-4. We also can add 3-4 DEs and LBs faster than switching back. Burns and Haynes are monsters and Miller showed promise. We have a good unit there. 

Archived