• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty on Rhule and Cam Newton status

Jeremy Igo

6 hours ago, TheRed said:

Things change that's life. We all know deep down things could be reaching a close with Cam's career with the Panthers.

But people want to win. They don't want a team that is the joke amongst the division and the conference. If you move on from a player the caliber of Cam Newton, you need to replace him with someone with more playmaking ability than the likes of Kyle Allen or Will Grier.

If Cam is done we have to go out and get a dynamic QB this year.

Nobody out there will give a poo about a fun press conference from January if we are once again trotting out more mediocrity behind center.

I'm alright with tanking for Lawrence if Cam is gone.

4 hours ago, joemac said:

Thats what I want to know.  Who do we get to take Cam's place?  Kyle Allen again?  Hope Tua falls to us in the draft?  Make a franchise changing trade up to draft Burrow?  Sign Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota?

Tua had a nasty injury, but everything I've seen has him healing well. Unfortunately, it's pretty much a given that the Dolphins are going to draft him if he continues to check out on recovery. 

6 hours ago, ncfan said:

See how this new "sports science" can help Cam....his recover.......and keeping fresh/recover from injury faster.  Remember everyone's concerns about Cam and his shoulder as the season went on, this could help that.

I see that and CMC being the two biggest things helping cams shoulder, not to mention the year plus hes had to recover, not really counting the two games early in the year because honestly it never looked as if in those two games the shoulder was the issue.

28 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

I see that and CMC being the two biggest things helping cams shoulder, not to mention the year plus hes had to recover, not really counting the two games early in the year because honestly it never looked as if in those two games the shoulder was the issue.

the new panthers hype video doesn't have cam in it at all.

Just now, raz said:

the new panthers hype video doesn't have cam in it at all.

Yea you've now repeated yourself, he hasn't played in awhile and the nfl tends to be, what have you done for me now. Not to mention once again why tip your hand on Cam in any kind of way?

Just now, Matt62881 said:

Yea you've now repeated yourself, he hasn't played in awhile and the nfl tends to be, what have you done for me now. Not to mention once again why tip your hand on Cam in any kind of way?

um, if you want cam here why not put him in an official hype video?   he's under contract right.   it seems like he's a goner.  this is def something

4 hours ago, DubE_4MR said:

What's the advantage of being so non-committal to Cam Newton in front of the media? Do other teams care what he says to reporters? Why can't they just maintain the notion that Cam will be the QB so the media will stop asking? As long as he is on the roster, he is the starter so they won't be lying by saying that. It still won't prevent them from seeking trade opportunities or continuing negotiations behind the scene.

I'm just not understanding why Hurney, Tepper and Rhule have to moonwalk around every question asked about Cam. All it does is generate more rumors and speculation.

Fans could turn on Rhule if he talks like Newton is staying and then he doesn't.

Our own Roaring Riot theorized that Marty might still be around for the purpose of taking the fall for that move if it happens.

Don't know if it's true, but it's plausible.

3 minutes ago, raz said:

um, if you want cam here why not put him in an official hype video?   he's under contract right.   it seems like he's a goner.  this is def something

Read into it what you like but there are several reasons that I shouldn't have to explain.

6 hours ago, joemac said:

He has had a LONG time to rest the shoulder.  That should be the least of his worries by now.

Not necessarily. I have a bad shoulder that  feels wonderful after rest, but after several days of heavy use will hurt like hell and mobility becomes limited. Sadly with Cam only playing 2 games last season we didn't get to see if that shoulder was going to hold up or not, making keeping him a crap shoot. 

6 hours ago, joemac said:

I think that we can throw anything Pre-Tepper regarding this franchise completely out the window.  I am willing to give Dave a mulligan for the past 2 years as he wasnt able to get his people in the positions he wanted.  Now we are beginning to see him do just that.  There is a new sheriff in town, who just so happens to be the richest man in the NFL, and hes not afraid to throw his checkbook around to get what he wants.  Pretty much the complete opposite of Jerry Richardson.

This is what concerns me because Tepper isn't the only rich owner in the NFL and historically, throwing money around doesn't lead to championships.  

6 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Smart teams that have rebuilt do it like that.....we are typically not a very smart team.

Personally, I don't think this team should be in rebuild mode with the talent we have.  If Cam can be healthy and we can improve the line and switch back to the 4-3, this should be a playoff team.  You are never going to get All Pros at every position and we have a generational type talent (in Luke and CMC) on each side of the ball currently on our roster.  Less talented teams made the playoffs this year.  

The Rhule hire makes me think Cam is gone and/or the team doesn't think he can be healthy for a full season again.  This team isn't talented enough to carry a rookie or average QB . . . we need someone exceptional under center. 

Archived