• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty on Rhule and Cam Newton status

Jeremy Igo

What's the advantage of being so non-committal to Cam Newton in front of the media? Do other teams care what he says to reporters? Why can't they just maintain the notion that Cam will be the QB so the media will stop asking? As long as he is on the roster, he is the starter so they won't be lying by saying that. It still won't prevent them from seeking trade opportunities or continuing negotiations behind the scene.

I'm just not understanding why Hurney, Tepper and Rhule have to moonwalk around every question asked about Cam. All it does is generate more rumors and speculation.

37 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

0-16 and would you feel the same way?

If we truly go 0-16, we will surely know more than we do now.  So I might still remain excited.  I am old enough to remember when Dean Smith was hung in effigy early in his career at UNC-CH, so first years in a coach's career can sometimes be a bust.

20 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

We both know this isn’t a Panthers decision. He won’t be healthy enough before the draft to fully evaluate which means a decision would need to be made without knowing his health. He’s here unless he decides he doesn’t want to play on the one year deal. 

This year pretty much will play itself out. The big decision will come next year. 

He didn’t want another surgery in August, I don’t blame him for that by the way, but here we are not knowing if he’ll be healthy. I’d say though if we don’t draft a QB or move him before the draft  he’s going to be our QB 

8 minutes ago, pinkfloyd said:

If we truly go 0-16, we will surely know more than we do now.  So I might still remain excited.  I am old enough to remember when Dean Smith was hung in effigy early in his career at UNC-CH, so first years in a coach's career can sometimes be a bust.

I’ve always wondered, what did the Sphinx look like when it was new? 

*ducks*

The rebuild ain’t it unless you’re ready to say bye to every young asset we have, including cmc.

due to the Shaq contract extension I think we are looking at a retool, year 1 Rhule gets his feet wet and evaluates the roster and the guys he’d like to keep and so on, after that we’re pushing for the playoffs and more. 

look at the teams that went the rebuild route, hasn’t really panned out For them 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't think it that as much as it's the fact has hasn't been able to play a full season in 3 years.  That's not a safe investment to be counting on going forward regardless of what you think about Cam personally.

Cam played all but two games in 2018 ..

2018 Cam was not really even injured - MRI's etc. showed nothing .. turned out to be that he in fact was not injured - he had scar tissue built up

3 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Cam has put his body on the line for this organization and willed them to victory over and over and over. I would seriously hate for them to turn their back on him now. With the time he has had off and rest he could come back rejuvenated and better than ever next year. I would hate to see that Cam on another team. It would piss me off that we didn't give him the opportunity to prove himself and just kicked him out the door. Players get injured, players go on IR. Cam has made it clear he wants to be in Carolina. You won't find anyone with more heart or love for the game than Cam. Give him a chance to show you what he's got and I'm pretty sure you're not gonna be disappointed. 

Many people love and respect Cam for what he's done for the franchise, but we must remember that the NFL is a business. I would hate to see #1's time in Charlotte end like this, but I won't be "pissed" about it. 

Does it not seem odd that nobody in the organization is willing to commit to Cam when asked?  Rhule did not, this quote seems to avoid a direct answer.   Marty mentions his MVP, but referring back to 2015 to give the guy a compliment? He does not mention the future.

Think about what we KNOW to be true:

A seven-year deal to a coach that builds teams.   No direct, confirming answers when asked about Cam.  

Maybe in 2020, but I do not think they are thinking 2021 and beyond, based on the tea leaves in January.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Does it not seem odd that nobody in the organization is willing to commit to Cam when asked?  Rhule did not, this quote seems to avoid a direct answer.   Marty mentions his MVP, but referring back to 2015 to give the guy a compliment? He does not mention the future.

Think about what we KNOW to be true:

A seven-year deal to a coach that builds teams.   No direct, confirming answers when asked about Cam.  

Maybe in 2020, but I do not think they are thinking 2021 and beyond, based on the tea leaves in January.

Could be, or could just be they are being noncommittal on that one given the uncertainty of his health. Could see it going either way really, hard to know. No one will return my texts.

56 minutes ago, pinkfloyd said:

Hey if we do go 0-16 then that means we get Trevor Lawrence.  So, I would be OK with that, even though the season would be a drag.  But, we're not going to go 0-16.

Archived