• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video: Rhule leaning 4-3 on defense

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

Burns can still grow into a 4-3 DE

By the way, Dillard was terrible this year.  Worse than Little and Daley 

Not a chance in hell that the kid plays as an every-down 4-3 DE at 255.  Not the kids fault the situation he’s been placed in by the Moron Twin’s Rivera/Hurney, but Burns as an every-down 4-3 DE is a recipe for disaster.

Would probably find success as a situational pass rusher, but all that means is that the Moron Twins spent a 16th overall choice on a situational pass rusher. (Which, again, isn’t any form of judgement on the kid, but on the geniuses that have placed him into the position that he’s now in.)

14 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Coach, we don't have the pieces to switch to a 34 this offseason, we need to stick with what we have and bolster it through the draft and free agency.

That is how a good GM/HC relationship is supposed to go.

Marty, I want to switch to a 34.  OK, give me a minute, I have a little room left on the Master Card.

That is how a bad GM/HC works.

The GM does not dictate operational decisions like what scheme a team is gonna run.  How many GMs in the league do you think could go toe-to-toe with a head coach on the intricacies of schemes, alignments, game plans, etc.?  GMs are essentially glorified scouts who have to learn how to manage the cap on the job.

The scenario you just laid out above sounds like a dysfunctional GM/HC relationship.  This is why there are defined roles within a company...if one party tries to extend beyond their defined roles and tells the other how to do their job, that breeds dysfunction.  In that hypothetical: if Ron refuses Hurney and is adamant about trying to make the 3-4 work, then what?  Are they gonna run to Tepper and cry "DAD.....!!!"?

31 minutes ago, t96 said:

Be honest, amIgo, you’re dying for us to get Trevor Lawrence next year, like many others secretly are, right? Damn would this team have a bright bright future with him and Rhule. Still skeptical on Hurney but I’m willing to be open on it for a few years.

I would be 100% behind this organization if we traded Cam, traded Luke, collected extra picks for next year and went all in on Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

93 solo tackles. 

Do better. 

Nah, he was pretty bad.  I wasn't the only one saying it either.  

Now I will grant him one thing.  "Bad" Luke Kuechly is still an above average player... but he hasn't been a world beater in 3 years now.  Saying the 3-4 was to blame is lazy.  He was already slipping.

31 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

at best that just further proves my point that keeping the GM after firing your head coach is a dumb idea

at worst this is another one of the huddle illiterati’s built in excuses for marty every time offseason plans or personnel investments don’t work out

The fact that you think any time a head coach gets fired, the GM should automatically also get fired tells me you conflate the two and have no idea what one's roles are versus the other...which does shed some light on your earlier post.

Tbh it's very hard to follow your posts since they're derived heavily from emotion rather than logic.

2 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Lots of discussion on the defensive part of what he said but I'm surprised no one has brought up how he was again VERY NON COMMITTAL about Cam Newton and the state of the Panthers Qb position AGAIN in this short clip. Looks like we'll have to finally come around to the fact Newton will not be the Panthers starting Qb of 2020. I know he hasn't come out and said that word for word but it does appear the writing is on the wall.

Actually he said he enjoyed speaking to Cam and was excited about what Cam said but didn't want to speak out of turn until he discussed personnel with Hurney and Tepper. Not sure how that was interpreted that Cam is likely gone.

1 hour ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Nah, he was pretty bad.  I wasn't the only one saying it either.  

Now I will grant him one thing.  "Bad" Luke Kuechly is still an above average player... but he hasn't been a world beater in 3 years now.  Saying the 3-4 was to blame is lazy.  He was already slipping.

In all fairness to Luke, he's had 3 really NASTY concussions that were evident to anyone watching the games. He may have had others we don't know about. 

At times I think he is a bit more cautious when tackling than before in order to prevent another one.  I don't blame him if that's the case. Like you said in your post an 85% Kuechly is still better than most MLB's in the NFL.

I have noticed one thing...and correct me if I'm wrong... I don't think Luke missed a game the past 2 seasons because of a concussion.

2 hours ago, frash.exe said:

at best that just further proves my point that keeping the GM after firing your head coach is a dumb idea

at worst this is another one of the huddle illiterati’s built in excuses for marty every time offseason plans or personnel investments don’t work out

It's amazing Gettleman kept his job. They're actually worse than we are.

All they need for an effective 4 man front is a starting SDE, a starting 1/0 NT, and a backup. A backup to KK. And a WDE for to rotate in with Burns preferably strong against run. 

That shouldn’t be too hard. 

Christian Miller and Marquise Haynes. Got some bad news for you. 

Archived