• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video: Rhule leaning 4-3 on defense

Jeremy Igo

18 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You don’t decide what defense you’re going to run because of some “ sub in rotation rushers”. That’s the point. 

I’m not talking all other needs. For a 3-man front. You have KK as one 5 tech. And unless they plan on given Poe another 10M, that’s it. You need more than starters as well. This is DL where starters normally only play 2/3 of the snaps. 

So you need a NT and a backup. Another 5 tech and a backup(or Obada). A backup for KK. And if you’re rolling with Burns, Haynes and Miller, an edge who can play the run. Maybe two. Because we don’t have Addison at all. He’s a FA. 

This is what happens when a team neglect the DL for 5 years except for one huge bust. 

Rotation players are better to have than not. Those players you mentioned become irrelevant in a 4 man front. and obada as a starter? meh.... not sure. and with what you said about the 3 man front you still need the same and more for the 4-3, plus i believe irving still under contract. I dont think we neglected the dl for 5 years for years we invested heavily, star kk and a bunch of second 3rd round busts, Hardy,the guy that went to the patriots and flopped we got a pick for and others. Letting star walk started this disintegration. 

2 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I don't think Rodrigue would have any inside knowledge of the Newton decision just like their was no inside knowledge of what was going on with the coaching search.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rodrigue said that decision is still in the hands of Tepper and Hurney. They'll ask Rhule what he thinks, but it doesn't sound like he has that much of a say.

Well If it means anything he just updated his facebook profile picture with a current Panthers pic to address how much this nomination for payton man of the year means in a Injuried season. Just shows his head and heart are still here for now.

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

Well If it means anything he just updated his facebook profile picture with a current Panthers pic to address how much this nomination for payton man of the year means in a Injuried season. Just shows his head and heart are still here for now.

I don't doubt that he wants to stay here.

I don't doubt that the team wants to keep him.

But you still have to work something out that's mutually beneficial and everybody's happy with.

That's the tricky part.

12 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Rotation players are better to have than not. Those players you mentioned become irrelevant in a 4 man front. and obada as a starter? meh.... not sure. and with what you said about the 3 man front you still need the same and more for the 4-3, plus i believe irving still under contract. 

But you don’t base your entire defensive philosophy because they are on the roster. And the numbers for either defense are awful. Once again, that’s the point. I never claimed Obada was anything more then a backup. You need a starter at the opposite 5 from KK. AND a backup unless Obada can fill that role. Nothing more. Just like he would be a backup SDE in a 4 man. And Irvin is a FA. 

You need 4-5 players either way. Along with many other needs. Being in one won’t hide the real problem. Talent. 

41 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

It does tho, hanyes miller are effective sub in rotation rushers. We need what a nose for the 3-4 nose for the 3-4 and corners,well we need those for the 4-3 anyway. Safety issues the same, plus you need another linebacker for the 4-3. I dont even see how this is close. Add in we only have Addison as a proven 4-3 end, we do know it stunts burns growth. I just dont see the reason to make this move, also you have no other rotational ends to sub in as pass rushers, we would be going from one of the most effective pass rushing teams to nothing and still unsure vs the run.

Burns should be traded if we move to the 4-3. He will never be good enough player in that scheme. It's why he didn't play last year. Because we didn't run much 3-4 at the end of the year. He's not a Peppers or Mack type build. 

If we are truly going back to 4-3, I could see us definitely going after Kris Richard, formerly of the Cowboys and Seahawks. Richard definitely has produced some good defenses.

Two other names to consider: Perry Fewell could remain and become DC (not my personal favorite for obvious reasons) or Al Holcomb returning.... Both who have worked with Rhule when he was with the Giants.

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

You don’t decide what defense you’re going to run because of some “ sub in rotation rushers”. That’s the point. 

Exactly. The way I see it, you need 5 starters (2 OLBs, 2 DE, 1 NT) plus backups in a 3-4. And 4 starters (2 DE, 1 NT, 1 DT) plus backups in a 4-3. We have nothing except Burns and KK. Poe more than likely gets cut. We can literally start from scratch without personnel issues. Because we have none. I think Burns is more than capable of holding his own in a 4-3. The kid is 21 and will continue to grow in the NFL. And like others have posted before, he is a talent that oozes athleticism. He is too good not to see the field one way or another.

Luke goes back to his Mike spot and Shaq to Will. As far as Christian Miller, I believe he is talented enough to cover Sam. He can have the same role Bruce Irvin had with the Seahawks. I don’t see a spot for Haynes except as a situational rusher similar to Mark Anderson of the Bears a few years back.

2 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Some of yall are being so incredibly dumb about Brian Burns, the dude is literally a baby Clowney who needs time in the gym, just shut the fug up

Baby Clowney? Wtf are you smoking. Clowney has always shown a much more physical nature than burns. Vs the run and as a power rusher. I doubt Burns ever is a bull rusher and I dont thin Clowney has the bend the Burns has agility wise. Both athletically gifted players but in different ways. Clowney more so which is what pushed him up to the top of the draft 

Archived