• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule - The most impressive thing he does

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Not nearly to the same extent as college. NFL players think of money first, second, third, and fourth.

No--not to that extent and not nearly as formally, but the human condition--getting someone to want to be part of your program when they have other options--he seems to be able to do that well. 

And of course, as quick as his turnarounds were, he did a lot with existing players.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Not nearly to the same extent as college. NFL players think of money first, second, third, and fourth.

This

College football is apples to oranges to the NFL

Why do you think the Nick Sabans etc failed 

Recruiting FA is no way in comparison to college recruiting 

1 hour ago, Mitchl13 said:

Wins 52% of his games. Sounds about right for this place.

Illogical.

Imagine a coach took over the Bengals and had them in the AFC championship with a 12-4 record in year 3.  If you average all three seasons, he was 2-14, 5-11, and 12-4.  Your logic says he sucks as a coach because his record is 19-29.  44%.   WHAT A LOSER!!!  However, you should have said it this way:  In his second year, he won 250% of the games he won in his first year.  In year three, he won 600% of the games he won year 1.  WHAT A WINNER!!!

23 minutes ago, ncfan said:

This

College football is apples to oranges to the NFL

Why do you think the Nick Sabans etc failed 

Recruiting FA is no way in comparison to college recruiting 

They are nothing alike, but my point was there is an element of recruiting that goes on in free agency---and the undrafted free agents "If you build it, he will come"-a winning program will recruit people that want to win.  "ease his pain" nobody likes losing.  "Go the distance"  Everyone wants a Lombardi. 

So if you have a good program and a solid rep and good people skills, you can land a player or two that you may have lost if not the case. 

In college, players are attracted to winning and that does not change.  No, you don't knock on their door, they knock on yours.  And Jeremy is right about the money, etc.  That tends to measure the player's value to that organization--but the Pats get more free agents than the Chargers do, all things relatively equal.  That is how it seems in some situations.  I am not saying you recruit free agents like you would a college kid, but there is an element of recruiting in the air during Feb and March.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

They are nothing alike, but my point was there is an element of recruiting that goes on in free agency---and the undrafted free agents "If you build it, he will come"-a winning program will recruit people that want to win.  "ease his pain" nobody likes losing.  "Go the distance"  Everyone wants a Lombardi. 

So if you have a good program and a solid rep and good people skills, you can land a player or two that you may have lost if not the case. 

In college, players are attracted to winning and that does not change.  No, you don't knock on their door, they knock on yours.  And Jeremy is right about the money, etc.  That tends to measure the player's value to that organization--but the Pats get more free agents than the Chargers do, all things relatively equal.  That is how it seems in some situations.  I am not saying you recruit free agents like you would a college kid, but there is an element of recruiting in the air during Feb and March.

I think a big difference is in college you deal with parents but in the pros you deal with agents. Also, player priorities are completely different.

But, you’re right. You do have to have a certain amount ability to recruit in the NFL. However, from all appearances, Rhule seems to be a real players coach. So as long as we offer enough as a team (money, winning, culture, etc.), I think Rhule  will be a positive in recruiting free agents.

1 minute ago, Woodie said:

I think a big difference is in college you deal with parents but in the pros you deal with agents. Also, player priorities are completely different.

But, you’re right. You do have to have a certain amount ability to recruit in the NFL. However, from all appearances, Rhule seems to be a real players coach. So as long as we offer enough as a team (money, winning, culture, etc.), I think Rhule  will be a positive in recruiting free agents.

I am not sure that RR was a players' coach as described--I think he was a veterans' coach.  I think he had trouble showing confidence in young players, which is why some did not develop, perhaps.  Rhule had to play anyone with a pulse and a pair of cleats. He did not have that luxury, and he had to develop people. 

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

Nah I think it’s blows big halftime leads at home 

leadS?  Aside from taking a near-defunct program to a 25-point lead vs Oklahoma (top 5) in the third season, what exactly are you saying?  It happened more than  once?  Can you name a coach that did not blow a big lead at some point with a lesser team than the opponent? 

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am not sure that RR was a players' coach as described--I think he was a veterans' coach.  I think he had trouble showing confidence in young players, which is why some did not develop, perhaps.  Rhule had to play anyone with a pulse and a pair of cleats. He did not have that luxury, and he had to develop people. 

Yeah, I think Rivera tried to play it too safe and conservative at times. I don’t think he always used the players properly. I think that’s one of the things that hurt the team year after year. But, I get the sense Rhule will use players to their greatest advantage regardless of age and experience. 

Archived