• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grier's performance

Jeremy Igo

12 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

He looked better than I thought he would under the circumstances.  He looked better than Allen at least and I know that's not a high bar but it's something.  But I will not lose any sleep if they move on from him after the season.  

No way Grier isn’t with the team next year. Hurney bent over backwards to get him, Tepper thinks Hurney is the greatest evaluator of talent in NFL history.

He looks like he's a slightly more conservative version of Kyle Allen with slightly worse accuracy but better pocket presence. He get's a solid "meh" from me right now. Not saying we shouldn't keep and develop him but I wouldn't be holding out hope either

Like I said before the game, it is impossible to evaluate his future based on how he'd play in this game. He was being asked to go in and make some kind of miracle happen in the midst of a dumpster fire. No line protection, half-assed performances from guys who aren't giving it their all, horrible play from the defense and even the special teams did provided a historically bad performance.

Just like the last four games of Kyle Allen weren't a fair measuring stick, this game wasn't one for Grier to really be evaluated on. And next week will be even worse. There are defensive players who are going to be looking to pad their stats on this weak offense.

I will say I can understand why Grier hadn't been thrown out their earlier. He looked timid a lot of times and literally refused to take check down passes to CMC on at least four throws AFTER looking right at the wide-open RB. Scared and looking for the big play is not a good combination.

Could Allen have done better? I don't know and I don't think it would have mattered. Our defense is so bad (31st in the league) that we cannot win games even when we are scoring. Our O-line is so bad that NO pro QB, starter or back up, can operate behind it (though Kyle has at times).

It's going to be rough for a while. Pity whoever they put under center.

Grier looked as advertised in the preseason and no different.  Actually I have to look it up, but seemingly to his scouting report coming out of college too which was far from glowing.   He's a mobile QB and  has decent pocket awareness that can create extra time form himself by rolling out of the pocket.  Has accuracy issues and lacks a good deep ball arm.  Two of his picks could have been avoided with stronger throws and couple more under thrown passes that their DBs simply dropped.

If we do not draft a QB in round one or two this spring, I am going to be pissed!  Allen is a solid #2 and Grier looks like he may be a roster holder type.  HATED the pick when it happened because I was projecting what we saw yesterday.  So my reasons for not liking the Grier pick were validated when we had bigger fish to fry.  Congrats Hurney, you got the pundits to stop talking about how we never draft a developmental QB.  Was it worth it?

5 minutes ago, pantherj said:

We need a big QB who can throw the deep ball. Grier and Allen are too small and not strong enough to throw the deep ball well. Oregon QB Justin Herbert has the arm strength to go deep and nice accuracy as well. Our smaller QBs can be the backups.

Eh, not sure it's their stature.  Both Kyler Murray and Patrick Mahomes don't huge muscular arms, but both have great deep balls.  It's either you have a live arm or you don't. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to be 6"5' and 230+ pounds.

5 hours ago, Snake said:

Same nut huggers that were trashing Allen for his losses are using the same excuses now. Just pathetic. 

First game of his career Allen destroyed the Saints.   Great game, he didn’t get credit.  Grier’s first game was bad, and he gets a pass somehow?  I don’t agree with that at all.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:05 PM, 45catfan said:

Grier looked as advertised in the preseason and no different.  Actually I have to look it up, but seemingly to his scouting report coming out of college too which was far from glowing.   He's a mobile QB and  has decent pocket awareness that can create extra time form himself by rolling out of the pocket.  Has accuracy issues and lacks a good deep ball arm.  Two of his picks could have been avoided with stronger throws and couple more under thrown passes that their DBs simply dropped.

If we do not draft a QB in round one or two this spring, I am going to be pissed!  Allen is a solid #2 and Grier looks like he may be a roster holder type.  HATED the pick when it happened because I was projecting what we saw yesterday.  So my reasons for not liking the Grier pick were validated when we had bigger fish to fry.  Congrats Hurney, you got the pundits to stop talking about how we never draft a developmental QB.  Was it worth it?

What makes Kyle Allen so much better than Will Grier aside from how he’s better at fumbling and he’s blind? Neither is a solid #2.

Archived