• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Beat Writer on the current stage in the HC search

ncfan

Have we considered any minority coaches to this point?

I'm wondering if we started the coaching search early so we could satisfy the Rooney rule.

If you're not able to make a hire without first interviewing a minority candidate, do you think the early start was in part done to satisfy that requirement and "get it out of the way," so to speak? Then if they find the right candidate later, they can hire him on the spot.

McCarthy is too much Rivera for my liking. Seems like the offensive version. The whole "me and my coaching buds still talk shop on the regular" thing gives me vibes of Ron and his penchant for keeping his cronies around. If you're out of a job and still that loyal to your pals it's a red flag for me. We don't need more of that poo. Bring in someone hungry to create a staff full of guys who are great at what they do, not great at kissing the head coaches ass and telling him what he wants to hear.

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

I'm wondering if we started the coaching search early so we could satisfy the Rooney rule.

If you're not able to make a hire without first interviewing a minority candidate, do you think the early start was in part done to satisfy that requirement and "get it out of the way," so to speak? Then if they find the right candidate later, they can hire him on the spot.

get it out of the way?............you could run into some problems stating it that way on this site...................

Anyway, in meeting the Rooney rule I thought I read where installing a minority interim coach like has been with the Panthers after a firing during the season would fulfill that requirement................I don't know that for a fact.......can anyone else chime in on that?

3 minutes ago, Captroop said:

None have been speculated so far.

I suppose they could interview Fewell, but that could be construed as just lip service to the rule.

7 minutes ago, PghPanther said:

get it out of the way?............you could run into some problems stating it that way on this site...................

Anyway, in meeting the Rooney rule I thought I read where installing a minority interim coach like has been with the Panthers after a firing during the season would fulfill that requirement................I don't know that for a fact.......can anyone else chime in on that?

To be fair, a lot of teams do just "get it out of the way". Heck, the team interviewed three minority GM candidates just to cover their ass before installing Hurney (like everyone knew they would).

I'd like to think things would be different under David Tepper than they were under Jerry Richardson though.

1 hour ago, Gesualdo said:

please please please please please no f*cking mccarthy

that would be out of the frying pan into the fire

he's like a version of rivera who doesn't get along with players

Yes and no

The only player that "didnt get along with him" was Rogers who is said to be hard to get along with in general.  And even then Roger's has since come out and said the McCarthy thing was overblown.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2019/12/18/many-green-bay-packers-hope-mike-mccarthy-lands-another-head-coaching-job/

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Several-Packers-endorse-Mike-McCarthys-potential-return-to-NFL-140831469/

Secondly: you saw how Hurney has said the right things and sold Tepper into believing in him.  McCarthy has been on record multiple times that he needs to be more (Teppers favorite word) analytical.

This team isn't as close to competing as ownership might think. And that makes me nervous when I hear about guys like Mike McCarthy being interviewed. A coach like that wants a roster ready to win. Unless Cam magically morphs into 2015 mode, this team is going no where for a few seasons.

It is time to think outside the box and hire someone much different than the previous administration would have.

I like Stefanski. Give me someone young, hungry, but with enough experience to cut the mustard, and patient enough to understand this will take time to fix.

Archived