• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's say Grier looks pretty good these last two games

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, cmichd said:

Why does Grier have to light it up.  We know that the team will let Allen walk since he is a FA at the end of the year.  Grier will be #2 unless they bring in a journey man off the street.  They still might do that to see if Grier developed during the off season if not he can be #3 again to gain more practice time.  This is if Cam comes back.  Maybe Allen ask to be sat.  Why get injured playing for a team that doesn't want you.  He isn't getting anymore money.  We just got into the top 10 and you want to win now.  

Allen is an exclusive rights free agent.  He will be a Panther unless the team has decided he is not worth a roster spot even given how little he will make.  The Panthers can offer him an extremely small contract (forgot the minimum given he'll have only 1 accrued season, but it's not a lot of money) and he has to take it if he wants to play (or he could hold out, but he isn't gonna do that).  He is likely one of the cheapest players on the team, and likely the cheapest QB to have started so many games this season.

21 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Allen is an exclusive rights free agent.  He will be a Panther unless the team has decided he is not worth a roster spot even given how little he will make.  The Panthers can offer him an extremely small contract (forgot the minimum given he'll have only 1 accrued season, but it's not a lot of money) and he has to take it if he wants to play (or he could hold out, but he isn't gonna do that).  He is likely one of the cheapest players on the team, and likely the cheapest QB to have started so many games this season.

He might be but why should he be.  You only need two QB's.  They only reason they had 3 on the team this year was due to drafting Grier and they couldn't let their Franchise pick go even with the preseason he had, and if they put him on PS he would have been grabbed by another team.  They can't afford Kyle signed to the PS or he will be gone within the first week.

Just now, cmichd said:

He might be but why should he be.  You only need two QB's.  They only reason they had 3 on the team this year was due to drafting Grier and they couldn't let their Franchise pick go even with the preseason he had, and if they put him on PS he would have been grabbed by another team.  They can't afford Kyle signed to the PS or he will be gone within the first week.

There will be 3 QBs on the roster next year, too.  Whether that 3 includes both Allen AND Grier is up in the air, but at least one of them will be there.  Grier is cheap enough they could cut him if he stuck up the next 2 games and looked like trash in camp (I don't think this will happen).

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

There will be 3 QBs on the roster next year, too.  Whether that 3 includes both Allen AND Grier is up in the air, but at least one of them will be there.  Grier is cheap enough they could cut him if he stuck up the next 2 games and looked like trash in camp (I don't think this will happen).

I don't think so either.  Kyle is the logical choice.  Not drafted and they can't give up on a 3rd choice that quick.   Kyle is gone and if it isn't I will say you knew better than me.  They could sign Kyle to a cheap contract that wouldn't hurt a team and trade him for a 4th or 5th draft pick.  

34 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Allen was 5-0 or w/e it was his first few games so it would say absolutely nothing about Grier.

Win/loss over these last 2 games is, IMO, irrelevant for evaluating Grier moving forward...

Some of Allen's obvious problems later on were hinted at in his first games... So I think it doesn't tell us a ton about Grier, but it will tell us something, depending on how he plays in these last 2 games... how he throws the ball, the decisions he makes under pressure, etc.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:06 PM, mav1234 said:

It was plainly said they would not let Grier go so quickly since they drafted him in the 3rd round, but they were afraid to put on PS cause he could be taken by another team.  So they wasted a spot on the 53 man so they could protect Grier.  "This has been the speculation all offseason, at least since the team used a third-round pick on former West Virginia quarterback Will Grier. While Grier obviously still has a lot to learn, Carolina doesn’t want to risk another team picking him up off the practice squad, which is why they’ll be keeping one more QB than usual this year."      https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/30/panthers-roster-three-quarterbacks-2019-season-report/

Archived