• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teh best college talent evaluator in a generations!

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Or a player can be picked for one system and then it changes like going from a 4-3 zone coverage scheme to a 3-4 emphasizing more man coverage. And  given that we are likely going to a new system again next year with  a new coach how could Hurney know that this year that a guy he picked for one system would be used differently in year 2 and if he had stayed would be in a likely different system next year.  Unless you think that drafted players should instantly play well and that there isn't a big adjustment at some positions or we should wait at least 3 years.

To be clear, I wasn't a big fan of Gaulden and I wasnt crazy about the pick. Still I will give him a little bit more time before declaring him a bust although he clearly wasn't a good fit for how we used him especially this year with Fewell managing the secondary.

Gaulden sucked in both systems.

He was a terrible pick.

5 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Yes .. I'm serious I get hit all the time .. I just want a fair and balanced board.. If I can't call you a pussy than you shouldn't be able to attack me or anybody else.

you can call me whatever you want.  i won't report.   i've been called worse than that on here

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Gaulden sucked in both systems.

He was a terrible pick.

Not saying he wasn't a bad pick for us but in his defense, how many 1st or second year players smoothly transition from one system or another without some issues.  For me his biggest issue was lack of speed which surely impacts you when you are covering 1 on 1. I will be interested to see if he gets picked up or the general consensus across the board is that he sucks.

Plus the secondary hasn't looked good across the board and is largely impacted by such a bad run defense that corners and safeties are being frequent caught on double moves because they have to think run first instead of pass  and are focused on staring in the backfield rather than focusing on the receiver.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Or a player can be picked for one system and then it changes like going from a 4-3 zone coverage scheme to a 3-4 emphasizing more man coverage. And  given that we are likely going to a new system again next year with  a new coach how could Hurney know that this year that a guy he picked for one system would be used differently in year 2 and if he had stayed would be in a likely different system next year.  Unless you think that drafted players should instantly play well and that there isn't a big adjustment at some positions or we should wait at least 3 years.

To be clear, I wasn't a big fan of Gaulden and I wasnt crazy about the pick. Still I will give him a little bit more time before declaring him a bust although he clearly wasn't a good fit for how we used him especially this year with Fewell managing the secondary.

He can make All-Pro next year and it won’t change one thing about how it affects the Panthers. When does this clock end? He was cut. Its over for us. No compensation of any kind. If you’re a GM picking players that don’t fit your system, before or after any changes, you chose poorly. 

How does the way the rest of the secondary performs in games have any effect on a player who played ONE snap since week 1? Since he couldn’t beat out even Colin Jones....how sad. 

35 minutes ago, Toomers said:

He can make All-Pro next year and it won’t change one thing about how it affects the Panthers. When does this clock end? He was cut. Its over for us. No compensation of any kind. If you’re a GM picking players that don’t fit your system, before or after any changes, you chose poorly. 

How does the way the rest of the secondary performs in games have any effect on a player who played ONE snap since week 1? Since he couldn’t beat out even Colin Jones....how sad. 

Stupid opinion.. If a player makes all pro he was a talented player the other team didn't know how to use.. And that's not a GM's fault.. That's coaching..

9 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Stupid opinion.. If a player makes all pro he was a talented player the other team didn't know how to use.. And that's not a GM's fault.. That's coaching..

Then why did the GM cut such a talented player? Which is it? Not a GMs fault he can’t play in system? But it’s also not his fault for cutting this player? Is there any fault at all for drafting a guy in the 3rd round and he’s gone after a year and a half? 

Is the book still out on Dasshon Hall. Just because he’s clinging to the bottom of rosters? What could he possibly do to change that we basically traded Eddie Jackson AND Carl Lawson for Hall. But Gettleman screwed the pooch. And nothing Hall does will ever change that. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Then why did the GM cut such a talented player? Which is it? Not a GMs fault he can’t play in system? But it’s also not his fault for cutting this player? Is there any fault at all for drafting a guy in the 3rd round and he’s gone after a year and a half? 

Is the book still out on Dasshon Hall. Just because he’s clinging to the bottom of rosters? What could he possibly do to change that we basically traded Eddie Jackson AND Carl Lawson for Hall. But Gettleman screwed the pooch. And nothing Hall does will ever change that. 

Because he sucks here.. We also Evan Mathis and Jovan Haye who went on to have pro bowl years with other teams... They had the talent they just weren't good here.. That isn't the GM fault.. Galuden so far was a bad pick until he proves otherwise..

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Because he sucks here.. We also Evan Mathis and Jovan Haye who went on to have pro bowl years with other teams... They had the talent they just weren't good here.. That isn't the GM fault.. Galuden so far was a bad pick until he proves otherwise..

Mathis made a Pro Bowl 6 Years after being cut. Thru 3 more staffs. Did they all suck until he magically found that talent. I know I usually go into a draft hoping I take players who will suck for the better part of a decade and hopefully make a Pro. Bowl with his 4th team.  That’s a successful pick? Keep trying to sell that? 

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

It is a valid point that if the draft evaluation just includes how he does with you in your system then if he doesn't see the field he surely was a wasted pick. I don't think anyone thinks it was a good pick.  But the conversation had several levels.  The discussion had also morphed to whether two years  on the bench qualifies for bust status and to say he will always suck. Then if we draft him for one position and ultimately try to use him elsewhere and he struggles should the GM be able to look in his crystal ball and anticipate changing schemes under a new owner and pick someone at 85 who could transition between different schemes. I think for me wasted pick is more accurate than terrible pick. Was Josh Norman a terrible pick after 2 years and that was with the same scheme.

10 hours ago, frash.exe said:

it’s great that the overall tone of the board right now is to mock hurney for being incompetent, but if you’re going to flip back over to pretending he’s an executive of the year candidate during the offseason like last time, please realize you’re part of the problem

Oh you know it's gonna happen the minute he signs anybody in free agency.

I don't know how or why it happens, I've even bought the hype a few times since he's been back.  It's bizarre how he'll put together a roster that looks fuging loaded on paper and then it gets on a football field and is just like *fart sound*

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

It is a valid point that if the draft evaluation just includes how he does with you in your system then if he doesn't see the field he surely was a wasted pick. I don't think anyone thinks it was a good pick.  But the conversation had several levels.  The discussion had also morphed to whether two years  on the bench qualifies for bust status and to say he will always suck. Then if we draft him for one position and ultimately try to use him elsewhere and he struggles should the GM be able to look in his crystal ball and anticipate changing schemes under a new owner and pick someone at 85 who could transition between different schemes. I think for me wasted pick is more accurate than terrible pick. Was Josh Norman a terrible pick after 2 years and that was with the same scheme.

What is this massive scheme change? The half-assed attempt at a hybrid.3/4. That changes very little as far as secondary responsibilities. He bombed either way, in any scheme. As was predicted the minute he was overdrafted. 

Is there such a thing as a bad pick? Ever? Because if players like Gaulden and Hall are not busts, there aren’t any. You used a top 100 pick on guys who could make it thru 2 seasons. Is Daryl Worley a good pick now. Hey he started, and is playing better than ever for another team. I missed where we got anything but the right to overpay Torrey Smith for it. It’s still a bad pick And always will be. 

35 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Mathis made a Pro Bowl 6 Years after being cut. Thru 3 more staffs. Did they all suck until he magically found that talent. I know I usually go into a draft hoping I take players who will suck for the better part of a decade and hopefully make a Pro. Bowl with his 4th team.  That’s a successful pick? Keep trying to sell that? 

And Norwell hasn't been good for Jacksonville.. Does that make him a bad player or pick?? 

No.. He just might not fit that system scheme or environment... But he was a all pro here... 

AGAIN.. Talent evaluation and acquisition is the GM's job.. Developing the Talent and working it into a system is Coaching.. IF a player proves to be a talent in a different system or carry on to have a long career after leaving here.. The GM did his job he picked a player good enough to be in the league.. The coach didn't find away to implement that talent.. If a player falls out of the league and proves he can't make it then that is the GM'S fault..

Archived